PDA

View Full Version : Ie6 Is Not Working

Unhappy IE6
09-17-2003, 09:14 PM
I have recently "upgraded" to Internet Explorer 6 (on W98SE) with nothing but bad results. It keeps crashing, particularly when I'm attempting to enter another address in the address bar. An error message mentions Iexplore creating the problem.

I was using IE5.5 SP2 and would like to go back. Any suggestions?

locustfurnace
09-17-2003, 09:56 PM
ok, i answered your question in the other post you made on the same topic.
You do not need to make 2 same posts. If you believe 1 post will not be answered, posting twice will not get you better results.
one posting is fine, there are alot of people who check this board daily.
now i will have to copy n paste the post i just made, replying to your exact question, in another posting.

now you will have to check both postings, for answers, incase someone posts to one and not the others. which will only make getting your question answered more time consuming. It is just easier for everyone, you and the other members if you stick to 1 posting. dont litter other posts with a question, then post same question into another seperate thread.

you were OK with posting a new thread. thats fine. and easier.
so let me Copy n paste what i wrote for you in the other message - to here.

taken from here
http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...t=ST&f=2&t=1253 (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=1253)

can you uninstall the ie6.0? check the Add/Remove utility. so if it lists IE.
I know it is listed on my system. I am running IE 6.0 SP1, and dont have any problems. When 6.0 first came out I did have some problems, so i stuck with 5.5 for a while. But SP1 seems ok on my system.
After you are able to remove it. go download IE 5.5 once again.
you can probably get it from here
http://browsers.evolt.org/

Goslow
09-17-2003, 10:45 PM
Yep I'm seeing double

I have steered away from "upgrading" to I.E.6 as the user reviews of it have been woeful !

Originally posted by Carol
You'd need
to run IEradicator to completely remove it, because it's part of the OS and can't
be uninstalled otherwise.

Would repairing it help? To repair Internet Explorer: Go to Start - Run - type: msinfo32
in the open box - click OK -- From Tools the menu - choose IE Repair Tool -- Repair
IE.

Or it can be done this way: In the Control Panel - Add-Remove Programs > Highlight
Internet Explorer then click Change-Remove tab - choose Repair I.E. OK - Yes

Note: If you get an error message saying it cannot be repaired, reinstall then run
the repair.

Unhappy IE6
09-18-2003, 12:17 PM
Before removing IE6, it seems I would need to download IE5.5 SP2 first?

I tried repairing as suggested, rebooted and almost immediately crashed when trying to enter an address into the address bar. (My homepage loads okay)

What will removing IE6 do to the OS? I don't think I know enough to rebuild my machine.

locustfurnace
09-18-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Unhappy IE6@Sep 18 2003, 12:17 PM
Before removing IE6, it seems I would need to download IE5.5 SP2 first?

I tried repairing as suggested, rebooted and almost immediately crashed when trying to enter an address into the address bar. (My homepage loads okay)

What will removing IE6 do to the OS? I don't think I know enough to rebuild my machine.
If you can remove the IE6 from the Add/Remove panel, it would mostly likely mean that once removed it will be reverted back to IE4, or whatever the default IE was with the OS. There is no certain way I can think of to know if your older version was backed-up before you installed 6.0.
When IE was installed. it is possible it made a backup of IE 5.5, or whatever the IE was before replacing. So it might revert back to that IE even.

If you do not have any other web browsers installed. then you will want to download IE 5.5 first, before removing it.
If you want even, you could go to the link i posted in the first message, and go download any alternative browsers.
you might find them to be better for you even.
I have 4 or 5 different web browsers installed. I have Netscape, Mozilla, Meleon, Opera, Lynx, IE, MyIE.
you are not limited to just Intenet Explorer.

Unhappy IE6
09-19-2003, 11:54 AM
I appreciate your assistance!

As directed, I downloaded IE5.5 SP2 from evolt.org. I saved it (to scan w/ antivirus) and then opened it. It created a new folder: IE 5.5 SP2 Full. I opened the folder, but am not sure what needs to be done now. What's next?

Thanks again.

Unhappy IE6
09-19-2003, 11:59 AM
I forgot to mention the Add/Remove function seems to only allow the following: Add a component, Repair Internet Explorer, Restore the previous Windows configuration.

Does this mean I cannot remove IE6? Do I need to in order to use IE5.5 as default?

locustfurnace
09-19-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Unhappy IE6@Sep 19 2003, 11:59 AM
I forgot to mention the Add/Remove function seems to only allow the following: Add a component,
You might end up having to run the IEradicator, or win98lite program to first remove explorer from your system. Then you should be able to install IE5.5 onto it.
You wont be able to install the IE5.5 til after 6.0 is remove. Thanks to "innovation" from Microsoft who thinks there could never be a reason ANYONE would ever want to remove their precious Internet Explorer - it will say it can not install IE5.5, you already have a never version, not giving you an option to replace it.
So try the IEradicator

http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html
IEradicator is a tiny, script that uses the Windows setup engine to surgically remove Internet Explorer versions 3 through 6.0 from Windows 95

Unhappy IE6
09-19-2003, 06:37 PM
Well, I reinstalled my OS and IE6. It seems to be working (perhaps). What a stupid mess. Next time this happens, I'm just going to buy Opera.

locustfurnace
09-19-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Unhappy IE6@Sep 19 2003, 06:37 PM
I'm just going to buy Opera.
why but Opera, you can use Mozilla, Netscape, Meleon, and a lot lot more for free.

bouganvillier
09-28-2003, 05:25 PM
B)Am using 98se/512 RAM w 600mhz cpu / cable connection with IE 6 SP 1 .No probs with install whatsoever AFTER I uninstalled IE 5.5 SP 2 (which I have put on many 95,98 machines with as low as 40 mb RAM).make sure your antivirus and software firewall are not running or you will probably have to uninstall and reinstall time after time.make sure you don't install the first or beta versions of ie6 or remove them if they are there. If you have win 98 , make sure you get the shutdown update fix before going to 6sp 1 .this is a great site as you can't get 5.5 sp 2 from microsoft anymore. with the abundance of software . Sygate firewall and Avg (Grisoft) antivirus progs are VERY compatible with IE6 SP1 and are free. I uninstalled my antivirus and software PF before I put on Ie6sp 1 but this is overkill. If you have a cpu under 500 mhz I recommend 5.5 sp 2-although I have seen some with a heap o' RAM do ok..If you are downloading 6sp 1 and it is unsatisfactory try again from a different site(uninstall each time of course) . the second install worked for me and I have never looked back. Have had IE 6 SP 1 on my home machine since it was first released. Make sure you go to Windows Update and do ALL of the critical updates and you not be sorry. If you do banking or transactions online the minimum Win browser I would use is 5.5 SP 2.

locustfurnace
10-04-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by bouganvillier+Sep 28 2003, 05:25 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bouganvillier @ Sep 28 2003, 05:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>If you do banking or transactions online the minimum Win browser I would use is 5.5 SP 2.[/b]
You would want to make sure you have a SSL of 128bit, this is the Secure Socket Layer, it is an encrypted connection. Not always available outside the USA, so make sure your countrys laws permit this high an encryption level before applying. otherwise you can use the 64bit encryption, or 48bit.

<!--QuoteBegin--http://www.openssl.org/

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT EXPORT/IMPORT AND/OR USE OF STRONG CRYPTOGRAPHY SOFTWARE, PROVIDING CRYPTOGRAPHY HOOKS OR EVEN JUST COMMUNICATING TECHNICAL DETAILS ABOUT CRYPTOGRAPHY SOFTWARE IS ILLEGAL IN SOME PARTS OF THE WORLD. SO, WHEN YOU IMPORT THIS PACKAGE TO YOUR COUNTRY, RE-DISTRIBUTE IT FROM THERE OR EVEN JUST EMAIL TECHNICAL SUGGESTIONS OR EVEN SOURCE PATCHES TO THE AUTHOR OR OTHER PEOPLE YOU ARE STRONGLY ADVISED TO PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO ANY EXPORT/IMPORT AND/OR USE LAWS WHICH APPLY TO YOU. SO BE CAREFUL, IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. [/quote]