PDA

View Full Version : Msn Messenger Upgrade

Stevey22
10-04-2003, 11:26 AM
I have the same problem as many of you with upgrading my MSN messenger i use to have 3.6 which was great but now i been forced to update. I tried downloading MSN 6.0 but it said i needed MSN 5.0 so i downloaded that one of here but it did not work, i tried a link for 95 version of MSN 5.0 on the offical MSN site but that didnt work either (btw i have Windows 98SE). When i downloaded MSN 5 & 6 it said i needed to goto the MSN site for the download but thats where i downloaded it from!

Anyway i tried others like Easymessenger, & Miranda both i found to slow. I have also tried Trillian but it said i needed Socket 2 upgrade but when i went to the link it only had it for Windows 95. Besides when i did a check on my computer i found the upgraded Socket 2 was already there.

So now i am stuck with no messenger at all and i am asking for advice of you guys how can i get MSN working again? :unsure:

locustfurnace
10-04-2003, 05:54 PM
It seems a lot of people are having problems with MSN, from the number of posts with this same topic, question. Have you looked through all the past posting for possible solutions?
I never used MSN, and never will. But there are alot of people here who do use it, and some who use Easy Message with no problems at all.
With all the changes taking place from Microsoft, I suspect lots of incompatibilites will exist for many more users. Just right now it seems not to be a good time to be a MSN user.
Have you considered switching to ICQ or AOL IMS. I have bene using ICQ since '97 and never had the problems the MSN userbase is experiencing.

Originally posted by Stevey22@Oct 4 2003, 11:26 AM
Anyway i tried others like Easymessenger, & Miranda both i found to slow.
Not too sure what you mean by too slow? too slow to do what? get connected to the servers? send messages?

Ian Robertson
10-06-2003, 10:50 AM
:blink:

I've found that the MSN 5.0 here works just fine. I've not bothered to upgrade to 6.0 because i find it slow on my older system at home. 5.0 is still accepted by the Microsoft servers and I imagine on this computer I'll keep using it until it's not! If you're having difficulties, I find the best option is just to completely uninstall the program and reinstall 5.0. Good luck.

locustfurnace
10-06-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Ian Robertson@Oct 6 2003, 10:50 AM
If you're having difficulties, I find the best option is just to completely uninstall the program and reinstall 5.0. Good luck.
Downgrading to 5.0 is alot of the problems people are faced with. Most of the times they try this and that is where the system breaks.
Many people are having success with alternative chat clients to the MSN offering, such as Easy Message, Trillian.

nails
10-06-2003, 10:44 PM
miranda , slow????? there must be something wrong with your comuter (appart from the fact that it's running windows:P)
miranda is faster wwwaayyy faster than msn, msn is slow because it is so bloated. just take a look at the system requirements for version 6.0 - 15mb space!!! :| i mean come on! its a freakin' irc client!

are you talking about the ammount of time it takes to sign in? cos sometimes it does take a while, i cant figure out why. ....

nails
10-06-2003, 10:49 PM
hmm, maybe, before you install msn, you could try going to the registry (start -> run -> then type "regedit") - and doing a find "msn messenger" or something and deleting all the stuff there - that might help... possibly.

Goslow
10-07-2003, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by nails@Oct 6 2003@ 10:49 PM
then type "regedit") - and doing a find "msn messenger" or something and deleting all the stuff there - that might help... possibly. :) just remember back up the registry before you start making changes or it might not help at all .
There is info from locustfurnace in this forum thread (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=1008&st=0&hl=) on how to backup registry.
I also found some good registry tutoring here :www.pcnineoneone.com (http://www.pcnineoneone.com/tweaks/) on how to create extra backups.

locustfurnace
10-07-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Goslow@Oct 7 2003, 05:37 AM
[QUOTE=nails@Oct 6 2003, 10:49 PM]
I also found some good registry tutoring here :www.pcnineoneone.com (http://www.pcnineoneone.com/tweaks/) on how to create extra backups.
I thought i had also included how to backup registry extra times. If i did not then it must have been one of the those posting i had written, but for some unknown reason, it just never got posted.
But i wonder how many people actually take the time to backup their registry, i know alot of people don't even backup at all. Evidence froma lot of people saying they cant go back to an older version of IE or MSN.
If you backup, and keep good managed backups this really should not be a problem.
Spend alittle time testing different backup programs, find one you like, and use it. If you leave computer on 24/7, then set the task scheduler to backup when computer is not being used.
It will pay off.

~!!*AnN*!!~
10-16-2003, 09:49 PM
hey guys umm ya i have a problem with msn messenger...me 2 it said that i had 2 update it..i always had 4.6 but when i tried downloading both 5.0 and 6.0, it said that my sign in name or password wasnt correct but i know they're both just fine...and what is miranda anyways? i never heard of that..do u think it would work with my computer? i have high speed sympatico internet so i dont know why 5.0 wouldnt work...it sux but anyways do u guys have any suggestions in how i could get msn messenger to work or somethin cuz i didnt have it 4 a whole month and its killin me lol..anyways thanx in advance pplz!
AnN! xo

locustfurnace
10-16-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by ~!!*AnN*!!~@Oct 16 2003, 09:49 PM
...and what is miranda anyways? i never heard of that..do u think it would work with my computer?
Miranda is a multi-chat client, which allows interops with other chat servers. Which if you look at the pinned topic, you should see a link for many chat clients which should be able to give you access to AOL, ICQ, & MSN from the same program.
I know Microsoft has cut off alot of clients from their servers, so at the moment i am not sure what works with the MSN servers, since i never used MSN.
I am wondering if everyone is having so many problems with MSN why they dont just quit using it, and go with ICQ. I have been using ICQ since 1997 and never had any of the problems MSN users are experiencing, even when AOL bought ICQ, i still did not have any problems.

As far as will Miranda work on your computer, you will need to check the system requirements on their web page. Since you did not include your systems specs.

embolism
09-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Pidgin is also not present in #1 list of clients for messaging,suggest users wishing to explore messengers for all systems explore communication at sourceforge.net since there are 100s of different programs for messaging over all types of protocols and all types of platforms the list given in thread #1 is far from complete although some good tried and tested programs amongst the ones listed.

embolism
09-22-2011, 05:19 PM
Pidgin is also not present in #1 list of clients for messaging,suggest users wishing to explore messengers for all systems explore communication at sourceforge.net since there are 100s of different programs for messaging over all types of protocols and all types of platforms the list given in thread #1 is far from complete although some good tried and tested programs amongst the ones listed.

IM all your friends in one place

Pidgin is an easy to use and free chat client used by millions. Connect to AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and more chat networks all at once.

Supported chat networks:

* AIM
* Bonjour
* Gadu-Gadu
* Google Talk
* Groupwise
* MSN
* MXit
* MySpaceIM
* SILC
* SIMPLE
* Sametime
* XMPP
* Yahoo!
* Zephyr
Also cross platform so works in windows and linux O/S open source so no spyware and latest version has been made even more secure. (:^D)

embolism
09-22-2011, 05:33 PM
It also works in MAC,although I haven't in some years and only then in doing deep data retrieval for a client-
http://www.pidgin.im/