PDA

View Full Version : Windows Me

thegaffer
10-12-2003, 04:21 PM
:o hiya folks, could anyone help me with this problem, im running windows me and having problems with missing files, the problem is ive lost my disc with windows me , i have the case with serial number etc but no disc so i cannot reinstall, would any windows me upgrade disc work or is the disc made to match the serial number, please advise, any help would be appreciated, many thanks

locustfurnace
10-13-2003, 02:10 AM
Unless for some unknown reason you removed these setup files, your Windows Me installation CAB files should still be lurking on your HD.
For some unknown reason, Microsoft thought it would be nice of them to install ALL the setup files for Windos ME onto the HD.
So do a search -- > START/FIND and enter *.CAB
you might be able to find these setup CAB'S in C:\Windows\options\install

this will be about 153megs of setup files.
If you do have them, copy them to a CDr. and you should now once again have a useable Installation CD for Windows ME.
Just be sure to copy the whole install folder to a top level on the CD. and you should be set.

thegaffer
10-13-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by locustfurnace@Oct 13 2003, 02:10 AM
Unless for some unknown reason you removed these setup files, your Windows Me installation CAB files should still be lurking on your HD.
For some unknown reason, Microsoft thought it would be nice of them to install ALL the setup files for Windos ME onto the HD.
So do a search -- > START/FIND and enter *.CAB
you might be able to find these setup CAB'S in C:\Windows\options\install

this will be about 153megs of setup files.
If you do have them, copy them to a CDr. and you should now once again have a useable Installation CD for Windows ME.
Just be sure to copy the whole install folder to a top level on the CD. and you should be set.
cheers for the help, and spot on advice im now all sorted, thanks mate