PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla

ramian
10-19-2003, 10:15 AM
Hi,
I'm thinking of switching to Mozilla but I need to know somethings first.

1. What's the difference between Mozilla 1.5 and Mozilla Firebird 0.7?
I know Mozilla 1.5 contains more than just a browser while Firebird is just the browser. What I want to know is if there is a difference between the browser in 1.5 and Firebird itself.

2. Does Mozilla support the latest Google toolbar?

3. Will I be able to print out webpages using Adobe PDF printer directly from Mozilla? (I already have Acrobat)

4. Will Mozilla use My Favorites or will it create its own set of favorites? I currently use Favorites to HTML (http://www.jonessoft.co.uk/) to back up my favorites on a regular basis. But, this is only for Internet Explorer. Does Mozilla have a built in Fvorites / Bookmarks exporter which rivals Favs to HTML or is it similar to IE's favorites exporter which IMHO sucks.

5. Also, if I were to install Mozilla, is it possible to get rid of IE or at least disable it completely?

Thank You

cheers!

locustfurnace
10-19-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by ramian@Oct 19 2003, 10:15 AM
Hi,
I'm thinking of switching to Mozilla but I need to know somethings first.
Thank You
cheers!

You really dont need a program to backup your favorites, as Internet Explorer can already backup your favorites, its built in, I have been using this for many years. it is simple to do too, click the FILE / Import and Export, and then export your favorites, then you can import then when you want to restore em back.

Mozilla is the OpenSource version of Netscape, Netscape released the source code for Netscape and called it Mozilla, Firebird is built from this released source code. Firebird used to also be known as Phoenix. Firebird would be built from the Mozilla code, with modifications, so really they should be able to do the same exact things, since the code base it the same.
It all depends on what the Firebird developers want to accomplish with there version, as to what it is possible to do with it.

I dont know if Mozilla supports the Google Toolbar, you might have to check all the available plug-ins for Firebird, which they have alot of plug-ins for it, from pop-up blockers to whatever you can think of. so i would imagine there is a toolbar for something.
Mozilla should be able to import your IE favorites, since Netscape has been doing this for sometime now.
I think Mozilla can export your favorites, I dont see why you say IE exporter sucks, when all it is is an HTML file. dont like it, change the html file with notepad.

yes, you can get rid of IE, unless you have XP, then you might have to wait a little bit for the program to come out of beta. the program is called Lite98, nad IEradicator

ramian
10-20-2003, 09:51 AM
Hi locustfurnace,
thanks for the reply.

If you've seen how Favorites to HTML saves your favorites, you too will want that feature in Mozilla or IE. Go and try it out; its FREE!

About removing IE using Lite98 or IEradicator, is it safe? There are many other programs and windows components which use IE or its base. Would these be affected if IE is removed?

Thanks!

Teddy
10-20-2003, 12:39 PM
1. What's the difference between Mozilla 1.5 and Mozilla Firebird 0.7?
I know Mozilla 1.5 contains more than just a browser while Firebird is just the browser. What I want to know is if there is a difference between the browser in 1.5 and Firebird itself.

There is a difference. Firebird is a more toned down, simplified version of the Mozilla Browser. Unlike the Mozilla Browser, it is much more customizable, you can edit/create toolbars and stuff, and you can download extensions to make it to nearly anything you want. It is also MUCH faster.

2. Does Mozilla support the latest Google toolbar?

The Google toolbar, I believe is an IE thing, but Firebird has a built-in google search box in the standard toolbar. I'm not sure, but I think there is a Google toolbar for Firebird... You might check here (http://www.mozillazine.org).

3. Will I be able to print out webpages using Adobe PDF printer directly from Mozilla? (I already have Acrobat)

You should be able to, yes.

4. Will Mozilla use My Favorites or will it create its own set of favorites? I currently use Favorites to HTML (http://www.jonessoft.co.uk/) to back up my favorites on a regular basis. But, this is only for Internet Explorer. Does Mozilla have a built in Fvorites / Bookmarks exporter which rivals Favs to HTML or is it similar to IE's favorites exporter which IMHO sucks.

It will use its own bookmarks, stored in an HTML file. Upon its first use, it automatically imports your IE favourites into a bookmark folder.

5. Also, if I were to install Mozilla, is it possible to get rid of IE or at least disable it completely?

Windows 98, to my knowledge, is the latest version you can safely remove IE from. It is very integrated with each OS, that it wouldn't be a good idea to remove it. There is always setting Mozilla/Firebird as your default browser and just simply not using IE.

--

My opinion, use Firebird, its faster and easier than Mozilla. If you need a mail client, there is Mozilla Thunderbird, based off Mozilla's mail client. There is also a VERY early release of the Mozilla Composer component, but I don't believe it has an official name yet.

locustfurnace
10-20-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Teddy@Oct 20 2003, 12:39 PM
Windows 98, to my knowledge, is the latest version you can safely remove IE from. It is very integrated with each OS, that it wouldn't be a good idea to remove it. There is always setting Mozilla/Firebird as your default browser and just simply not using IE.
--

My opinion, use Firebird, its faster and easier than Mozilla. If you need a mail client, there is Mozilla Thunderbird, based off Mozilla's mail client. There is also a VERY early release of the Mozilla Composer component, but I don't believe it has an official name yet.
as i said, check out Lite98 or IEradicator to remove IE.

as for Firebird being "faster" than Mozilla, faster howso? initial loading only? that all i can see, as for rendering the webpages, they should be the same, being they both use the Gecko renderin engine.
I have Netscape 7.1 and it doesnt take long to load up on my XP2500.

ramian
10-21-2003, 06:06 AM
Thanks Teddy for actually answering all my questions.

Since I'm using XP Pro, I don't think I'll be able to uninstall IE. Anyway, like you said, I could just use Firebird as my default browser and just ignore IE. I will also have a look at the email and composer too while I'm at it.

The reason I'm switching is not because I've speed problems. Things are far from rosy on my PIII box, but it still chugs along. I just wanted a change from using IE.

Thanks again Teddy for taking the time to answer all my questions.

cheers!

locustfurnace
10-21-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by ramian@Oct 21 2003, 06:06 AM
Since I'm using XP Pro, I don't think I'll be able to uninstall IE.
as i said previosuly, check out Lite98/IEradicator for possiblities on removing IE
XPlite and 2000lite v1.0 goes GOLD
http://www.litepc.com/
With XPlite and 2000lite we give YOU the power to set up YOUR machine the way YOU want! The power to remove unwanted features, the power to remove upgrades that go bad, the power to strip potential security and privacy threats out by the roots

ramian
10-21-2003, 01:57 PM
had a look at XPLite. Downloaded the trial version but found out that the trial doesn't allow removal of IE. I guess i'll have to stick to having IE around.

thx locustfurnace

Teddy
10-24-2003, 09:17 AM
ramian:
Since I'm using XP Pro, I don't think I'll be able to uninstall IE. Anyway, like you said, I could just use Firebird as my default browser and just ignore IE. I will also have a look at the email and composer too while I'm at it.

They have Thunderbird making some fast development, and I there has been a recent start on a standalone Composer, I believe it was called Snowbird. They're planning to turn it 100% XHTML compiant, which should be very nice.

locustfurnace:
as for Firebird being "faster" than Mozilla, faster howso? initial loading only? that all i can see, as for rendering the webpages, they should be the same, being they both use the Gecko renderin engine.
I have Netscape 7.1 and it doesnt take long to load up on my XP2500.

Mozilla is more bloated than Firebird. Firebird has much more optimized code, so the overall UI is more responsive. The rendering engine is the same, yes, but Firebird's UI is much faster, and using them both for a long time, I see it very easily.

locustfurnace
10-24-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Teddy@Oct 24 2003, 09:17 AM
They have Thunderbird making some fast development, and I there has been a recent start on a standalone Composer, I believe it was called Snowbird. They're planning to turn it 100% XHTML compiant, which should be very nice.
there is a stand-alone Operating System, called Byzantine OS, which is making use of the Linux kernel and built with Mozilla as the primary service, it runs from a CDrom, no hard drive.
it is mostly for use in embedded devices, but can be useful for messing around with or just having a carry along system you can use on any (just about any) system out there withnot the worry of messig up someone else's computer.
http://byzgl.sourceforge.net/

I have used firebird and netscape and mozilla and K-meloen, and i prefer Konqueror & Galeon to the other offsprings.
course, no browser is faster than the Lynx browser. or smaller that i can think of.

Teddy
10-24-2003, 07:40 PM
Heh. Lynx is also text only, not to say I don't use it now and then ;)

As for cd-based OSes, I'd recommend Morphix, a Debian Linux based distrobution. There are a few different versions, all to fit on cds and serve different purposes.

locustfurnace
10-25-2003, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by Teddy@Oct 24 2003, 07:40 PM
Heh. Lynx is also text only, not to say I don't use it now and then ;)

As for cd-based OSes, I'd recommend Morphix, a Debian Linux based distrobution. There are a few different versions, all to fit on cds and serve different purposes.
right, there are alot of them, as the Bzyantine OS is different from the Debian ones. I am sure i have spun Morphix around a few times or whatever.
recently been using the Slackware Live CD, as well as the FreeBSD Live CD project.
Just with Debian, most of their code base is alittle behind in the cutting edge, since they like the Stable code more so, which is good, but since debian is more or less following in the work ethics of the FreeBSD team, with the apt-get similar to the ports system of FreeBSD, i chose FreeBSD and OpenBSD for servers.
and for just something interesting i will use Linux, not to mention I am also on the EvilEntity Linux Developers Team.