PDA

View Full Version : The Sit

.:DZ:.KNIGHT 1ajs hobo
11-11-2003, 11:01 PM
thanks for puting up this site it have been very usfull to me and my friends at school i when reformating and starting over saves me burnt cd's for software i found this sit looking for winamp 2.6 and well thanks

locustfurnace
11-12-2003, 06:24 PM
glad to hear that, i am sure the owners of the site had your situation in mind when they decided to go online with this.
I have posted links for alot of software over time, you might want to do some looking for backup software, which i have some posted. then you can do yourself a favor and backup your system as is, then recovery will take seconds, putting you back online with all your favorite apps already there. i'll drop the link below.
http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...t=1385&hl=ghost (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=1385&hl=ghost)

11-13-2003, 12:35 AM
that kinda hard when i got 30 gb of stuf on 120 gb drive with red hat 9 linux xp pro and 98 se all on one system

locustfurnace
11-13-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Guest@Nov 13 2003, 01:35 AM
that kinda hard when i got 30 gb of stuf on 120 gb drive with red hat 9 linux* xp pro and 98 se all on one system
not really. with Linux, you do not need to back up the whole OS, just the /etc /usr /home directories, you really do not need to back up alot of the others, such as the /swap /temp......
rem also, that backing up, with something like Partimage can use bzip2 compression. which can do very good compresion. Partimage also can backup your FAT32, NTFS, ext2, ext3, and ReiserFS filesystems. also, the empty space does not get backed-up.

with Linux, you already have many good options for backing-up, such as TAR, you can easily do a #tar -c / to backup the whole root dir. which if you make a partition and mount it as /bak, you can do a tar -c / > /bak, if you wanted you could use the bzip2 to compress as well with something like tar -cjf / > /bak/myback.tar.bz2

you SHOULD be doing backups, the #`1 reason why people dont backup, since they say they have too much data, or it is to hard. Its not hard, once ya learn to do it, and it saves you more headaches, Hard Drives do not last forever. And since you appear to be running all these OS's on a single HD (not a good idea), you should spread your OS's across more than 1 HD. Windows likes to run scandisk when improperly shutdown, which when it does a scandisk and alters the FAT, and BR, it can and does, mess up the other OS's, i know i have had it happen on me many times after running scandisk, my UndeadOS would fail to load, and many other OS's i have had installed on a single HD.
also, by using multi HD's. you can spread your swap files across onto another HD, as well as Windows swap, /temp /tmp/ Internet temp files onto a other HD, which can greater speed up disk writes.

if you got 30 gigs of data, think, are you willing to lose it all if the HD fries or dies on you? if you have another computer, you can make it a Network Backup system, and stuff all your backups to it.
CD-R's are cheap enough, and with compression, you can generally get between 1.2 - 1.5 gigs onto a 650 megs CD.

I have several hundred gigs of data across 25 systems. and I do backup. I don't anymore have the time to spend re installing the OS, all my apps, setting up my accounts, that takes longer then spending a few hours implimenting a backup plan, once I have the majority of the system data backed up, from then on, all i have to do is backup files which have been changed or newly added files. which MS backup works fine for this.

CALM
11-13-2003, 10:13 AM
Locust, what do you use for back up media? CD-RW?

locustfurnace
11-13-2003, 03:35 PM
yes, i do use CD-RW's. Especially today with 24x CD-RW burners. the capacity is alright. its fast, and cheap. Plan to switch to DVD, once they settle on a standard format, and kick the capacity up to where it should be, right now they are just trickling out DVD's in a low capacity, 4.7GB per disc, while DVD's are capable of 9.0Gbs per disc. and the speed right now is at the lowest, so once it speeds up alittle more then i will prolly switch over to that. I do also have an external SCSI Tape Drive, but the tapes are very difficult to find anymore. was thinking of getting a Taravan 40Gig Tape Drive.
Also use additional HardDrives for initial backing up, and i will either copy all the data over to the burner via networking, or just move the HD into the system and burn the backup, depends on the time, situation.

with the Partimage program, you can have it split the backup into any size you want. so i usually set it to split all increments at 695megs, to allow for the TOC.