PDA

View Full Version : Icq > Msn

SuBLiMe DuBStyLe
11-12-2003, 05:59 PM
i downloaded icq 99a, cause that's the first version i had a long time ago (back in '99 i suppose (-: ) and, after i installed it and was setting up, it asked if i wanted to use my old number, so i typed it in with my password and all that jazz... but it wouldn't work. it said something Wacky was up, i dunno what i should do though... does it just not work because it's outdated? or should i delete the newer versions of icq off my computer? someone please help me... thanks.

-Danf Bot.

locustfurnace
11-12-2003, 06:12 PM
I have not tried running that old of an icq client with the newest inuse protocols, so i will have to guess it just wont work any longer. possibly due to changes in the server, from a TOC to the newer OSCAR login server, which is also used for AOL IMS.
you might be able to use it, cant say for certain. But make sure the password and UIN are correct. if it does not log you in, then you possibly can not use it, plus i would not want to use it, since when they did the change over from protocol v5 - > V7, i never got offline messages, Plus the newer servers hold contact list on the server side, which is a plus, dont need to back up your contacts anymore.

you might have a problem with 2 versions of ICQ.
maybe just try an alternative to icq, which there are plenty in the pinned topic to chose from

SuBLiMe DuBStyLe
11-12-2003, 06:44 PM
thanks for your help... honestly i don't really know what most of what you're talking about means, but i'm pretty sure i got the just of it...
...i just miss old icq )-:
my main problem with the newest one, well, this might sound kind of stupid, but when you're messaging someone with the newest icq, if you press alt+3, the message window closes... so this is a problem for me because i constantly use accents on a few letters, like é, è, ê, à, â, ç, etc... and for all of those i need to use a 3. so... that's why i want old icq...

locustfurnace
11-12-2003, 07:02 PM
I dont have any windows closing on me when i do a alt+3, or an alt+4, i am running icq2003a build3800.
maybe you need to make some adjustments to the keymapping, or change your keymapping in windows.
if the problem presists with the newer version, you should submit a feature list to the developers, it might be a bug, or maybe they just have overlooked something.

else, give an alternative chat client a try, alot of those users who have switched, prefer their new clients, personally i prefer LICQ, which is for UNIX, than the ICQ for windows. Even the client i was running on my old MAC, had better interaction than the windows client.

eeege
12-06-2003, 12:17 PM
I had 99a up until a few months ago. (I update nothing if I can help it.) That's when ICQ informed me that they would no longer support the old versions and I had to update to a new version. But they were kind enough to allow me to keep my number as well as convert my contact list to a format 2003 could recognize! :-þ

From what I could tell...the server it tries to connect to no longer exists or doesn't recognize 99a.

locustfurnace
12-06-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by eeege@Dec 6 2003, 02:17 PM
I had 99a up until a few months ago. (I update nothing if I can help it.) That's when ICQ informed me that they would no longer support the old versions and I had to update to a new version. But they were kind enough to allow me to keep my number as well as convert my contact list to a format 2003 could recognize! :-þ

From what I could tell...the server it tries to connect to no longer exists or doesn't recognize 99a.
Yes, upgrading to the newer versions does not remove your UIN. Your only updating the program.
They switched different server/client protocols. Which allow better things, such as Server Side Contact lists, better security, more improvments for users behind firewalls.

I think the ICQ99a used different server address also, since it was most likely still lookin for the mirabilis servers, and since AOL owns ICQ now, i am sure that was another thing they had changed was switching servers, addresses.

fortula
01-24-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by locustfurnace@Nov 12 2003, 08:02 PM
I dont have any windows closing on me when i do a alt+3, or an alt+4, i am running icq2003a build3800.
maybe you need to make some adjustments to the keymapping, or change your keymapping in windows.
if the problem presists with the newer version, you should submit a feature list to the developers, it might be a bug, or maybe they just have overlooked something.

else, give an alternative chat client a try, alot of those users who have switched, prefer their new clients, personally i prefer LICQ, which is for UNIX, than the ICQ for windows. Even the client i was running on my old MAC, had better interaction than the windows client.
I have ICQ2003b build #3916. My message window closes, too if I use alt+3 ( on the numeric pad)
I need to use this key combination to type a £ symbol. <_<

locustfurnace
01-24-2004, 10:01 PM
What keymapping are you using? I am using the English language mapping, I have no problems entering the alt+3. Those experiencing this problem will find that contacting the author of the program will be the best choice, since they develop the software, and if this is a common problem, the developers might be unaware, and need to be notified. Then they can fix these glitches in newer releases, and possibly give you a solution as well.