PDA

View Full Version : Ms-dos That Is Windows 3.1 Compatible

11-23-2003, 08:01 AM
any? :(

11-23-2003, 08:02 AM
if someone has it email me it at sfouad@telus.net

locustfurnace
11-23-2003, 02:05 PM
Sharing MS-DOS is illegal. it is a retail product, if you want it, buy it. If you see any computer shows in town, go to them, you might be able to get it very cheap. else you can try ebay.com

you can use just about any version of DOS with Win 3.1, i usually use MS DOS 5.0 or PC-DOS 5 with Win 3.1.

now, if you must have DOS, there happens to be a FREE DOS, which happens to be called FREEDOS. 100% FREE, you can download it from their website

[list] FREEDOS FREE
http://freedos.org/
FreeDOS32 32bit kernel for FREEDOS
http://freedos-32.sourceforge.net/
MOE-DOS
http://www.moedos.com/download.htm
NEO-DOS is the name of free public domain MS-DOS compatible operating system written in pascal and assembler
http://neons.times.lv/neodos/
RMF-DOS(Reduced Memory Footprint DOS) is a project to create a compact, 8086-compatible, free clone of MS-DOS.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/rmfdos/
DR-DOS 7.03 $29.99
http://www.drdos.com/products.html#01
PTS-DOS 32 $19.95
http://www.phystechsoft.com/en/download.html
IBM PC DOS $50.00
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/os/dos/

CALM
11-23-2003, 08:21 PM
Why do people still use DOS? (I am not trying to be smart) Just wonder what applications it is for. What kind of computers is it used on? (new? old?) Are there any uses on a new machine? I never learned DOS but I know of its beginnings. Just find it interesting that people still use it :) (although I do have a 1987Mazda that I wont part with ;) ) And come to think of it there is an old TimexT100 around here somewhere!
Thanks
Chris B)

locustfurnace
11-23-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by CALM@Nov 23 2003, 09:21 PM
And come to think of it there is an old TimexT100 around here somewhere!

very cool. never owned one of those, I do have alot of old machines, such as the TI99-A, AppleIIc.
I presently use DOS. DOS is stable. DOS does not crash. whenever i need to delete ALOT of files at one time, use a DOS command to do so. Since every time i use Windoiws to delete alot of files (over 1,000+) it will freeze once it finished deleting. So i use DOS to do it, and it deletes it faster than windows. When Windows boots up, the autoexec.bat, a DOS batch file, is executed and i have it set to delete my swap file, index.dat, sets the PATH variable, and removes all the cookies.
when i run Partition Magic, a commerical software title. and need to change a partition, the program will reboot to DOS, to run the command.
Whenever i reformat a drive, i use the DOS command format, also to partition the disk, i also use FDISK, another DOS tool.
I find formatting floppys to be much faster under DOS.

I have built a music jukebox, from a thinclient machine, its a computer the size of a dictionary book, very tiny, it has no fans, no floppys, no hard drives, no cdroms. the Operating System (QNX4) is embedded ontop a chip.
So i wired in a IDE connector and tapped the board for a power supply. then i mounted a CD-ROM drive onto the box.
on the CD-ROM, i built a custom system on it. the CD operates as the C: drive, and the d: drive, and also the boot disk.
So the cd boots up the whole system, with my custom built DOS OS, which servers as a "C:" drive, then once the system boots up, it then switches from the boot disk to the now "D:" drive, scans the system for music (all on the CD ROM), and plays music. the music player is a DOS player, which handles the music formats, AAC, MPC, AC3, OGG, WAV, and mp3.
all this is handled on the CD-ROm, and the OS i built onto the CD rom happens to be DOS. So DOS has alot of good useable qualities today.

my neighbour had an extremely old laptop, a 286 with a blazing fast ; ) 8mhz proccessor. I took that machine, turned it into a Car Engine Anaylzer for drag racing. and built an interactive menu system, since he did not know how to navigate through DOS. So after setting up the many engine system apps ont it, i had to built a way fro him to use the apps. so i built a whole bunch of menus, which all he had to do was press a number to load that app. i even stuck a few games on it, AND, i stuck an email cleint and web browser on it. i think the system ended up having around 100 applications all on its tiny 20meg Hard drive.
the OS of choice - PC DOS 5.0, all the applications were for DOS.the interactive menu system, was all DOS scripts written with a text editor.

when i built a machine just for editing, as a very reliable editor, i use a DOS OS, and the Full Screen editor -"EDIT".
I have had people who used fancy word processors, only to lose the text. when either the app hit a bug, or windows decided to crash.
So they now just write their books under DOS. and never had a problem.
you can run the DOS editor also. it should be installed on your system. Just go to the Start/RUN and type edit.

I also have a Networking DOS systems. so i can network with it.
whenever i do music encoding i use a CLI (Command Line interface), run from a DOS prompt, to do the encoding. since commands are much easier to select.

my *BSD system, has no GUI (Graphic User Interface), which makes it look like the DOS world. but i run the system for a Firewall, router, SSL server, SSH server, email server, NFS.
i interact with every service (program) from the command line. no mouse clicking on the box. this allows me to log in from any computer anywhere to reset the server, or to make changes to the server. i also have a web browser, [b]Lynx{/b]. I can burn cds also on the box. just write out a few simple commands and the cd gets recorded.

CALM
11-24-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by CALM@Nov 23 2003, 07:21 PM
..... Just wonder what applications it is for. .....
WOW! Lots of uses I see.
I do know there is DOS on the W98 computer with the DOS prompt and all. But I have used that only a few times. ohwell
Thanks again for all the info! :ph34r:
Chris

locustfurnace
11-24-2003, 10:53 PM
welcome.
yes, so with Win98, you get the power of DOS, since Windows, first started out as a shell which sat ontop of DOS. and was just a menu system to allow easier access to the commands.
when you system crashed, you can boot into DOS to help repair things.
such as making a backup of the registry, which can only be restored via DOS. if you want to compact your registry, you do this via DOS.
i just posted in another thread, a DOS WWW browser.
when you need to check on your network, you can use DOS to see what your ip address or the connections established. there is even DOS CD R tools.

defragthis
11-27-2003, 01:51 AM
i downloaded dos 6.22 from microsoft (released for free) , but i'm afraid this info may not help you because i'm not sure it will work with win3x. at the end 6.22 may be incompatable if it's not 16 bit. i had to use search on microsofts site to find it and it's illegal to down it from anywhere else i think!

locustfurnace
11-27-2003, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by defragthis@Nov 27 2003, 03:51 AM
i downloaded dos 6.22 from microsoft (released for free) , but i'm afraid this info may not help you because i'm not sure it will work with win3x. at the end 6.22 may be incompatable if it's not 16 bit. i had to use search on microsofts site to find it and it's illegal to down it from anywhere else i think!
was it the bootdisk? or the whole OS? all DOS is 16bit, unless you try the FreeDOS 32bit kernel. or another 32bit Kernel from another developer. not sure of any others.
It is illegal to obtain MS-DOS from anyone else that is not a resaler, MS themselves. Alot of the times you can get the bootdisk but thats not what this person wants, i believe, i think they want the whole OS. which FREEDOS will do just fine for a replacement, plus it is free and currently one of the only DOS's still be developed

defragthis
11-27-2003, 03:12 AM
complete 4 disk op but i can't get it there now. site indicates microsoft no longer supports this product.
a shame, and a bigger shame i cannot locate the cd i put it on. but i did find my origanal nonfunctioning 6.22 floppies.
the reason i downloaded it in the first place. and that gives me right to own a backup copy so i'm going to go redownload it now from anywhere right now.

locustfurnace
11-27-2003, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by defragthis@Nov 27 2003, 05:12 AM
complete 4 disk op but i can't get it there now. site indicates microsoft no longer supports this product.
a shame, and a bigger shame i cannot locate the cd i put it on. but i did find my origanal nonfunctioning 6.22 floppies.
the reason i downloaded it in the first place. and that gives me right to own a backup copy so i'm going to go redownload it now from anywhere right now.
LOL, getting something for free does not give you a right to the product for free again, unless you got a license with the first copy. without a license you don't have a right to a backup copy either.

Muddawg
11-30-2003, 05:18 AM
lol as if i care if MS gets ripped? the Only legitamate copy of dos I own is 4.0 The non legitamate copies :D are as follows DOS 6.22, Windows 3.11,(floppies) 95, 98, ME, XP!(burned)! yup i love to rip microsoft off!! plus they are useful for getting old computers to work! So give me a break and don't track my IP :P
And Screw MS Dos! Amiga is where it is at!

locustfurnace
11-30-2003, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by Muddawg@Nov 30 2003, 07:18 AM
So give me a break and don't track my IP :P

as with any website you visit, your IP was logged the moment you opened this page.

Muddawg
11-30-2003, 11:23 PM
True, but as with any good hacker, I'm using a proxy server, and a fake IP generator :D anyway don't get so mad, i got the OEM version of Windows ME when I got my computer anyway, I just got a burned copy in case my friends or i needed it for fixing some computer we find.

locustfurnace
12-01-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Muddawg@Dec 1 2003, 01:23 AM
True, but as with any good hacker, I'm using a proxy server, and a fake IP generator :D anyway don't get so mad, i got the OEM version of Windows ME when I got my computer anyway, I just got a burned copy in case my friends or i needed it for fixing some computer we find.
who's getting mad? not I.
as for using a proxy server, they also keep logs. which can be traced back to you.
two words ya dont see often in the same paragraph are hacker and Windows ME LOL.

Muddawg
12-01-2003, 06:39 PM
Ya thats for sure Win ME SUX! They finally got close with Win XP, but I think it is still overloaded. Liniux or UNIX is the way to go, but i don't really want to bother paying for it or installing it. If you ask me, get an AmigaONE and do some serious hacking, but i don't have that kind of money :( O well what can ya do? :P
later

locustfurnace
12-01-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Muddawg@Dec 1 2003, 08:39 PM
Ya thats for sure Win ME SUX! They finally got close with Win XP, but I think it is still overloaded. Liniux or UNIX is the way to go, but i don't really want to bother paying for it or installing it. If you ask me, get an AmigaONE and do some serious hacking, but i don't have that kind of money :( O well what can ya do? :P
later
you dont have to pay for GUN/Linux distos; presently, unless SCO wins its lawsuit. GNU/Linux distros are ok, you do have to pay for UNIX though. For $20 you can get a copy of Sun Solaris 9.0 for the x86, which is Sun Microsystems licensed UNIX. you can also use *BSD (which there is a few choices in the BSD family now, OpenBSD, NetBSD, FreeBSD, Dragonfly, TrustedBSD, PicoBSD, FreeBSD), which has been around for a long time (30years), some BSD code has been used in UNIX and vice-versa. BSD has a better license than the GPL or LGPL GNU/LINUX uses, since your not required to release your source code, as you are under the GPL.
You can also try the Apple Darwin, (OpenDarwin, Gnu/Darwin) which makes use of BSD/MACH, which also is used in the OSX Jaguar. Even some code from the MACH kernel was used to build Windows NT.
QNX Neutrino RTOS can be had for free as well, it is a REALTIME OS. and has been around for 20years also. it is mostly for Embedded devices, I have QNX 4 on a MTX Visara 1763 (thinclient)box. the OS is on a chip.
BeOS 5 PE can still be downloaded. BeOS is the multimedia OS, which was available for the x86 and PPC platforms. an extremely fast system, a true geek box was the BeBox with 4 CPU's.
I have IRIX running on my SGI 64bit workstation. Which is SGI's licensed UNIX, not free.
Atheos is a free OS you can also download.
Athene OS is is another, but unlike any other operating system, Athene is designed to work both as a VM (virtual machine) or as a full operating system installation. using the Omega environment you can make it looks similar to the Amgia OS3.0 workstation with Amiga style gadgets
and then there is also THeOS, PetrOS, ReactOS, SkyOS, ReOS...i could go on for days
if you want to do some real hacking, then go get and install the free Native Oberon OS, written in original Oberon language or try your hand at Bluebottle OS, based on ASO (Active Object System) kernel.
there is also the AROS(Amiga Research OS) project which boots from 3 floppys.
AMIGA OS 4.0, have not heard much on it lately.
If your wanting a GNU software OS, and dont like the current situation with the SCO lawsuit, you can just replace the GNU/Linux kernel with the GNU/HURD kernel, as rem, LINUX is not an OS, it is just a kernel

CALM
12-03-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by locustfurnace@Nov 30 2003, 11:04 PM

two words ya dont see often in the same paragraph are hacker and Windows ME LOL.
Good one Locustfurnace! HAHA. Th longer I use the new (XP) computer the more I like the W98! Just needs a new monitor. Hey maybe Santa will bring it! :D

locustfurnace
12-03-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by CALM@Dec 3 2003, 01:24 PM
Th longer I use the new (XP) computer the more I like the W98! Just needs a new monitor. Hey maybe Santa will bring it! :D
WOW, another WIndows XP satisfied customer! This is funny because i just said in a posting the other day, how many people with ME or Xp would really prefer to go back to Win98, http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...t=ST&f=1&t=1579 (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=1579)
I have never taken the Xp Home edition for a spin around the block, just sat in it parked in the driveway. Though i have taken many laps in Xp Pro, and was not thrilled, the first thing i did was removed that hideous interface back to the classic Windows look. the Start Menu's change, good attempt, but they failed. Now if your someone new to computers and thats the first OS you have ever used, then that person may like it, as they dont know any better. thats not saying Windows Start menu in older OS's is great either. I like the category grouping of KDE but prefer overall the look of Enlightenment, waiting for DR17.

CALM
12-03-2003, 08:38 PM
yea, i could have saved alot of money if I had had Netscape 7.1, a new hardware modem and a new monitor on the W98 computer. Sure wouldnt have gotten a new computer and I am probably gonna end up buying the modem and monitor anyway. XP home is ok, but nothing special as I dont do DVD, video or fancy games. I seem to prefer old programs like installed Adobe photo deluxe 3 and went BACK to 2.
then HAD to get new scanner and new software sucks. new is certainly not better, IMO ;)
(has ANYONE ever gotten their rebate from Hewlett Packard??!!?? :( BIG RIPOFF unresponsive COMPANY!)

locustfurnace
12-04-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by CALM@Dec 3 2003, 10:38 PM
yea, i could have saved alot of money if I had had Netscape 7.1, a new hardware modem and a new monitor on the W98 computer. Sure wouldnt have gotten a new computer and I am probably gonna end up buying the modem and monitor anyway. XP home is ok, but nothing special as I dont do DVD, video or fancy games. I seem to prefer old programs like installed Adobe photo deluxe 3 and went BACK to 2.
then HAD to get new scanner and new software sucks. new is certainly not better, IMO ;)
(has ANYONE ever gotten their rebate from Hewlett Packard??!!?? :( BIG RIPOFF unresponsive COMPANY!)
Never buy anything based on the savings you "will" get via rebates, as no company must honor the rebates. Rebates get you in the store. you spend the money. they; 50% of the time do honor and 50% never.
You could always stick win98 on that XP box ya got. ofcourse, you will have to track down the Win-Drivers for all them devices.
Tip, if ya buy a new modem, get an external modem. you get the lights, can reset the modem if things go wacky, plus it has its own controller chip, so it works more stable then using a HCL, which is host controlled - meaning; controlled via software via MS Windows.
The external modems do not rely on software, so they can actually perform better. they can cost about the same as a good internal modem, for an external and internal, depending on the price. dont buy dirt-cheap modems. like those $15 special ones. cause they are not special.

CALM
12-04-2003, 01:31 PM
Hi.
yea, I found about about rebates. Have always received them in the past (my battery backup cost $10) but bought new computer from HP online and got screwed. ohwell. NEVER ANOTHER HP anyway.
Ive always bougtht cheapo modems (lightning keeps eating them even with surge protector!)but will get an external one. Any suggestions of any brand to avoid?
I do have the W98-2 disc but wonder if it would act screwey if I added it to XP?
:blink:

locustfurnace
12-04-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by CALM@Dec 4 2003, 03:31 PM
Hi.
yea, I found about about rebates. Have always received them in the past (my battery backup cost $10) but bought new computer from HP online and got screwed. ohwell. NEVER ANOTHER HP anyway.
Ive always bougtht cheapo modems (lightning keeps eating them even with surge protector!)but will get an external one. Any suggestions of any brand to avoid?
I do have the W98-2 disc but wonder if it would act screwey if I added it to XP?
:blink:
make sure the surge protector also permits the protecting of phone lines. Since lightning can also strike through the phone cords, not just via AC lines. Look for a joule rating on the surge protectors as well. Again, those surge protectors should be costing a couple dollars, last one i bought was $70, came with a 40k warranty also.
Most externals are fine, just look on the make and ty to stay away from anything defined as a Win-modem, but most externals should work with any OS. as my last Zoom External also worked on my Apple Mac.
You can install win98 inplace of the XP. totally remove the XP. or partition Hard Drive, and dual boot between em. Virtual PC permits the running of different OS's inside a host OS. which means you can have Windows XP hosting Windows98, and be able to run them BOTH at the same exact time.
Virtual PC is not cheap, but they usually have a shareware version, and there is links for older versions posted in the past posts.

defragthis
12-08-2003, 12:29 AM
ya i got the box the disks the book and even the plastic sheaths the disks came in, and the registration card i never sent in too. i found 6.22 in a church store for three dollars new wrapped in all it's original ms glory. you are right they should look around there are still new copies floating around cheap.

locustfurnace
12-08-2003, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by defragthis@Dec 8 2003, 02:29 AM
you are right they should look around there are still new copies floating around cheap.
The only problem i can see with buying older floppy versions of the software might be that the floppys, being so old, may have gone bad.
The best thing would be to just use the FREEDOS, which is still being developed today, and is FREE.

Myself
12-10-2003, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by defragthis@Nov 27 2003, 04:12 AM
Well, it's good that you found your original disks. I can't believe that Microsoft put all four disks (three are install, the last is the supplemental) on their site for free download. I've seen them putting out a very basic boot disk for DOS 6.22 on their site (gone now, too). I wonder why they decided to put the complete set on. :blink:

pun
02-08-2004, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by locustfurnace@Dec 4 2003, 01:28 AM
ofcourse, you will have to track down the Win-Drivers for all them devices.
If you are seeking the Win Drivers try

www.driverguide.com

They are a great site to find all kinds of drivers and signing up is FREE!

I find about 98% of the drivers I've needed there.

djrich
02-08-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by defragthis@Nov 27 2003, 02:51 AM
i downloaded dos 6.22 from microsoft (released for free) , but i'm afraid this info may not help you because i'm not sure it will work with win3x.
My first 486 back in 1995 shipped with Dos 6.22 and Win 3.1

locustfurnace
02-10-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by djrich@Feb 8 2004, 12:58 PM
My first 486 back in 1995 shipped with Dos 6.22 and Win 3.1
Was that a used system?? in '95 I was running on an Intel Pentium (586) 133Mhz system with Windows95, with a extra 8megs RAM (paid extra $600 for it too), for a grand total of 16megs RAM. Massive 2.1Gig HD. Had a Matrox Millenium Video card with 2megs dual-ported WRAM, still got the card today but uppded it to 8megs WRAM and it works well still, infact i bought a dozen of those cards from a comp show. Too bad the WRAM was too expensive to produce, as Matrox later switched to SGRAM I believe.