PDA

View Full Version : Help & Manual

oakley
12-07-2003, 04:25 AM
Any Older version of Help & Manual than the current one v3.31 would be great..
no cracks for the current :(
Its a really good help file editor and creator.

locustfurnace
12-07-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Oldversion.com Faqs+ http://www.oldversion.com/faq.php --></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Oldversion.com Faqs @ http://www.oldversion.com/faq.php )</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Why do you only have freeware and shareware?
This is not a "warez" site. We are able to legally distribute only freeware and shareware, since they are free.[/b]
<!--QuoteBegin--The Digital Millennium Copyright Act@ http://www.gseis.ucla.edu/iclp/dmca1.htm

Makes it a crime to circumvent anti-piracy measures built into most commercial software.
Outlaws the manufacture, sale, or distribution of code-cracking devices used to illegally copy software.[/quote]
The &#39;No Electronic Theft&#39; Act 1992
http://www.gseis.ucla.edu/iclp/hr2265.html

Use the program for the 30days, then if you really enjoy the programs, purchase it. That is how you obtain a fully functional version.

oakley
12-08-2003, 01:49 AM
AHHA... ok sif I’m gona spend &#036;250 on a help file editor.. lol

What do you think most ppl are gona use a site like this for then?

notice the old versions of

" CuteMX
DC++
Kazaa
Kazaa Lite
LimeWire
Morpheus
Napster
Scour Exchange
WinMX
"
that are provided on this site, I’m sure these are just for downloading freeware and non commercial music though.... get a clue mate, this could be a useful site.

Goslow unplugged
12-08-2003, 04:38 AM
Personally I come here to learn a lot from people who care.
Also I like all the free stuff ( actually I kinda loove free stuff) without the needing to steal.
Pretty much everything here is given freely,help,advice,tools,toys,friendship,fellowshi p & I&#39;m sure the more you put in the more value you would find.
You say
Originally posted by oakley@Dec 8 2003, 02:49 AM
this could be a useful site.This is a useful site I would struggle to find one out of my top ten that I would be sadder to be denied access to.
If you go to the hardware store and see a screwdriver you can purchase it (its not even free&#33;) and use it to build something good or to bust a lock & destroy something, that of course is your freedom.
How long would the hardware store last if it promoted itself as a burglary store?

B.T.W. I like your short review of the app&#39; you requested, I am interested in what people think of the software they use however you should also read the pinned thread in the requests forum.

Pinned: How To Request An App (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=1585)
please read before posting requests
--------------------------------
BIG
BLUE If you don&#39;t like those kinds of thrills wait until the software is "out of" beta.

locustfurnace
12-08-2003, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by oakley@Dec 8 2003, 03:49 AM
AHHA... ok sif I’m gona spend &#036;250 on a help file editor.. lol

that are provided on this site, I’m sure these are just for downloading freeware and non commercial music though.... get a clue mate, this could be a useful site.
Those programs have purposes other then "stealing", its not the programs that is to blame, it is the people who abuse those programs downloading illegal content. As someone on another board wrote saying "mp3&#39;s are illegal" this is not true, the technology is used for many legal purposes such as if i chose to offer free songs from my band for people to listen to, i as the copyright holder of the music i created can offer to allow people access to my songs via an encoded format, such as the old low-quality mp3 format. This purpose is what the intention was of music compression formats, it was NOT the intention for people to share copyrighted music.
Bit torrent, is a program that is used alot for downloading legal ISO images of Open Source software, then for obtaining illegal content. It is not the p2p apps that are wrong, it is the people who abuse it. What do you think most ppl are gona use a (computer) like this for then?
Since i am sure so many people out there, like yourself, are using computers to download illegal content, so lets ban them all, right?
Under YOUR logic, this would make computers and computing and illegal activity, as well as place the internet as a whole under your "illegal purposes"
And anyways, this site has a purpose that was here before you made your presence known, and will be here for sometime in its current model, you want to know why the illegal content sites - warez sites, never last long? Its because they are breaking the law and always get shut down. If this site catered to your requests for illegal purposes, it too would not have made it this far.
There is nothing wrong with this sites, it is VERY USEFUL, as noted by all the members and people who use this site, as well as a mention from TechTV.
the problem lies with people who want to get everything for free without paying for it, then when they get arrested for breaking a law and the DCMA, they wonder why? If everyone did not pay for the content out there, then there would no longer be free shareware, trialware, demos to download anymore, it would be like the older days of computing where you had to purchase software from a store, and there was not sampling before you bought.
Insulting will not make this site bend to your wishes to make you happy. LOL I think thats funny you telling the site to get a clue, and offer what you think it should have, when what you want is possibly cracks and the likes i am sure. The humour is that Your not willing to pay for things. Maybe if you were a programmer and wrote programs and had people steal your works you would be angry at the attitude of the freeloaders who only want it free, and when your asking &#036;250 dollars for a program you spent 5 years making and someone emails you saying you should make your hard work and effort free, cause the software you make "might be useful if it was free and to get a clue" you might be thinking in a different attitude.
So i guess if you worked for 3 years to buy a car and someone stole it from you, you would think, oh well that person just made my car more useful than I. and let him steal your car.
If you dont mind people stealing from you, thats fine for you.
Maybe you should get a clue and pay for the software you like, as it will insure future development of the titles you enjoy. Can&#39;t kept stealing and expect the software to keep on rolling out year after year with major loss of revenue.

12-09-2003, 09:47 AM
Well Goslow, the software can be found at http://www.ec-software.com/download.htm and the current version is 3.31 and i want any earlier version.

Now where to start with locustfurnace... soo many gay calls... poor bugger, anyways, well maybe i was trying to fire you up a bit, but I didn’t expect you to write an 2000 word essay on how piracy is naughty. Honestly have you never pirated any software? did you actually buy your Britney Spares CD&#39;s.
What are you saying about the OLD low-quality mp3 format? You can encode mp3&#39;s with any quality setting you want.

What do you think most ppl are gona use a (computer) like this for then?.....?? i didnt say computer... i said site, as in this web site, did your parents take alot of drugs in the 60&#39;s?

"There is nothing wrong with this sites, it is VERY USEFUL"
and this site would be MORE useful if it didn’t have ppl like you crying about piracy.

you want to know why the illegal content sites - warez sites, never last long?
I hardly think that providing older versions of demo version software could be considered illegal.

when they get arrested for breaking a law.... AHHHAAHHHA...HAHAHA...nuf said

The problem with the demo version is it puts annoying "this is a demo version" tags on any help file pages created. i only want to use this program for a couple of days so &#036;250 for a student is not an option. I’m sure the programmer realises that only commercial customers are actually going to pay for this software.

and no its not the same as stealing a car, ha, not too cleaver are you.

If you think about it, piracy can actually help software to become more main stream, there is no way Microsoft products would be as widely used if there was some magical way of stopping illegal copies. I don’t know anyone who has brought a copy of word, if ppl had to pay for it they would simply use different free software. Except for newbie girls like you.. opps another insult soz.

locustfurnace
12-09-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Guest+Dec 9 2003, 11:47 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guest @ Dec 9 2003, 11:47 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>did you actually buy your Britney Spares CD&#39;s.[/b] Why? missing some in your collection?

Originally posted by -Guest@Dec 9 2003, 11:47 AM
What are you saying about the OLD low-quality mp3 format? You can encode mp3&#39;s with any quality setting you want.Mp3 still is a lossy format no matter which q switch or BR you opt to use, and a poor lossy encoder at that&#33;

"There is nothing wrong with this sites, it is VERY USEFUL"and this site would be MORE useful if it didn’t have ppl like you crying about piracy.
Who&#39;s crying about piracy? your crying about affording the cost of software titles. And the intent of this site is to provide older Shareware & Freeware not warez or "cracks". This site would be MORE useful without people asking for illegal software, such as warez, cracks, serials or retail apps.
Honestly have you never pirated any software? Don&#39;t need to steal I can afford to pay for all the software I want, most of the software I use either is Open Source or comes from the FSF, and if can&#39;t find something I want I will code one.
The problem with the demo version is it puts annoying "this is a demo version" tags on any help file pages created. Which can be easily removed once you pay for the software.
i only want to use this program for a couple of days Then use the demo version like its intended purpose and stop crying over the "annoying tags."

piracy can actually help software to become more main stream, there is no way Microsoft products would be as widely used if there was some magical way of stopping illegal copies.
Microsoft did not get "mainstream" because of piracy, Microsoft got where it is today due to licensing restrictions with the OEM&#39;s. Microsoft got to where it is because of peddling alot of F.U.D. about its competitors, It got to where it is because people think if the masses are using Windows, then it can only be Windows for themselves.

and no its not the same as stealing a car, ha, not too cleaver are you.
Theft is theft, both are property. Actually you might go to jail longer for theft of software versus theft of a vehicle. guess you did not read the DMCA. So maybe your correct, they are not the same, theft of software comes with a higher penalty.
<!--QuoteBegin--Guest@Dec 9 2003, 11:47 AM
I don’t know anyone who has brought a copy of word, if ppl had to pay for it they would simply use different free software.[/quote] Then there is your solution, since you have to pay for the Help & Manual to remove the tags, find a free .chm builder.

oakley
12-09-2003, 08:46 PM
oh, you used the word lossy.. wow&#33; you must know heaps about compression then. can you tell the difference between co quality and 192 bit rate mp3&#39;s?... no you cant. I would like to see you write a better compression format.

Im not looking for cracks at this site, did you not read my first message at all?

"and if can&#39;t find something I want I will code one." sure.. you must have a lot of free time.

"Which can be easily removed once you pay for the software." .. no sh

has anyone actually gone to jail for non commercial piracy? or even been fined? no because everyone does it. just like recording tv shows is illegal but everone does it so they cant stop it.

locustfurnace
12-09-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by oakley+Dec 9 2003, 10:46 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (oakley @ Dec 9 2003, 10:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>oh, you used the word lossy.. wow&#33; you must know heaps about compression then.* can you tell the difference between co quality and 192 bit rate mp3&#39;s?[/b] as i said, mp3 is a poor quality encoder at any bitrate. I dont need to write a better encoder as there already are plenty; mp4, AAC, MPC, AC3, Vorbis, and lossless ones like FLAC, APE, Shortn, then you have speex codec, GSM.....

Originally posted by -oakley@Dec 9 2003, 10:46 PM
Im not looking for cracks at this site, did you not read my first message at all? Yes i did. and you wrote
Originally posted by -oakley@Dec 7 2003, 06:25 AM
Any Older version of Help & Manual than the current one v3.31 would be great..
no cracks for the current :(

Originally posted by -oakley@Dec 9 2003, 10:46 PM
"and if can&#39;t find something I want I will code one." sure.. you must have a lot of free time. Not all coding takes a long time, if you programmed you would know this, alot of the simple funtions can be done with shell programming or via awk or perl or python. Since the help files are simple html pages you could write your project in docbook and convert it to many formats. I am sure you could easily find a docbook to chm converter, or atleast into a RTF page. then convert your dvi to ps then to pdf, if you want a pdf book.
<!--QuoteBegin--oakley@Dec 9 2003, 10:46 PM
has anyone actually gone to jail for non commercial piracy? or even been fined? no because everyone does it. just like recording tv shows is illegal but everyone does it so they cant stop it.[/quote] and this makes it OK to steal. The crime is not non-commerical piracy, it is copyright infringement.

oakley
12-10-2003, 05:26 AM
ok read this carefully&#33; i dont know maybe english isnt your first language but ill have another go... i said

"Im not looking for cracks at this site"

and

"Any Older version of Help & Manual than the current one v3.31 would be great..
no cracks for the current "

what has this got to with your site, obviously your site doesnt provide cracks.

If mp3 is such a "poor quality encoder" why is it so popular? you cant tell me that compressing music a nearly 10 times its original size say 192br and not being able to tell the diff to the original is poor... and what are the compressed file sizes like on the other formats you mentioned? not as good as mp3 i bet.

"Since the help files are simple html pages "
well no. they are compiled into one file, quite different.

"and this makes it OK to steal." ... YES... yes it does.

locustfurnace
12-10-2003, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by oakley+Dec 10 2003, 07:26 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (oakley @ Dec 10 2003, 07:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>If mp3 is such a "poor quality encoder" why is it so popular? you cant tell me that compressing music a nearly 10 times its original size say 192br and not being able to tell the diff to the original is poor... and what are the compressed file sizes like on the other formats you mentioned? not as good as mp3 i bet.[/b] When did POPULAR ever imply QUALITY? Windows is the most popular desktop OS, and its quality is extremely poor. Dial-up internet is very popular too, does this make it BETTER quality? AOL is extremely popular, so you think it must be high quality stuff.
Who cares how much compression you can apply to a file if the quality in the end is poor, this is why VQF never made much inroad in the compression areana with its format. Maybe you cant tell the difference between a 192BR from its original, but many can. If mp3 were the perfect format, then why would there be better more advanced codecs being developed by companys such as Fgh, Dolby, Sony? As far as who can get the size of the file the smallest and retain as much quality as possible, that would have to go to Ogg-Vorbis, A typical mp3 encoder will compress a 30 megs wav to a 3meg mp3, while Ogg-Vorbis will be even smaller, such as 2.7megs, and if you like you can do a double huffman pass (rehuff) to make it smaller. As a matter of fact, AAC is gaining alot of "popularity", you can now even get a demo codec with the newest NERO. There are many things mp3 can not do either, such as 5.1 encoding, this is where AC3 comes into use. And if you have not paid much attention, there has been much progress in the development of Mp4. even released, are demo software from Fgh.
<!--QuoteBegin--oakley@Dec 10 2003, 07:26 AM
"Since the help files are simple html pages "
well no. they are compiled into one file, quite different.[/quote]
No, it is not different. They are simple html files. You can turn any html file collection into a hlp, chm file. get the help SDK kit from Microsoft.

12-10-2003, 09:44 AM
"Windows is the most popular desktop OS, and its quality is extremely poor"
Look I know its trendy to hate microsoft... and the more you hate Bill the more you know about computers right? but considering windows is free i reackon its pritty good ...lol

so... after all that bs the best audio codec only produces 300k smaller file size than mp3&#39;s from a 30mg original? that hardly makes the mp3 format a "poor quality encoder" does it. If you can tell the difference between a 192BR from its original ill give you &#036;100, have you actually tried it? Also you have to take the speed of compression/decompression into account too, how long is it gona take to do a "rehuff" on a 30mg file?
Obviously mp3s dont support 5.1 but who cares?

"No, it is not different. They are simple html files. You can turn any html file collection into a hlp, chm file. get the help SDK kit from Microsoft. "
Obviously if the text, formating and images are compiled into one file it IS VERY DIFFERENT from a standard HTML page and you need a decompiler to do it. Just because you can convert HTML to a .hlp file doesnt mean they are the same.

ok that will do for now

locustfurnace
12-10-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Guest+Dec 10 2003, 11:44 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guest @ Dec 10 2003, 11:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>"Windows is the most popular desktop OS, and its quality is extremely poor" Look I know its trendy to hate microsoft... and the more you hate Bill the more you know about computers right? but considering windows is free i reackon its pritty good ...lol [/b] Hating bill has nothing to do with the better quality of other OS&#39;s. Its not as if the more you hate MS the better your other software becomes. Nor would liking your OS make it stop poppin BSOD at ya every so often.

Originally posted by -Guest@Dec 10 2003, 11:44 AM
so... after all that bs the best audio codec only produces 300k smaller file size than mp3&#39;s from a 30mg original? that hardly makes the mp3 format a "poor quality encoder" does it. If you can tell the difference between a 192BR from its original ill give you &#036;100, have you actually tried it? Also you have to take the speed of compression/decompression into account too, how long is it gona take to do a "rehuff" on a 30mg file?
Obviously mp3s dont support 5.1 but who cares?
300k saving on 1 file is not impressive but once you get into an archive of thousands, then that adds up to some real space savings.
Yes, I have done ABX testing.
Your not doing a rehuff on a 30 megs file, your doing a rehuff on the compressed ogg file, so if the first pass produced a 2.7 megs file, then you rehuff that, not the 30 megs file. How long does it take? not long at all, as it&#39;s reading the data, computing optimal codes then re-saving. the time to do this is less than a minute on a batch process. Which then can reduce the filesize an addtional 2-5%. This is a lossless process. Another benefit to Vorbis-Ogg is being able to stuff multiple streams into a single file. So what does this mean? you can have 9 songs in a single file, each tagged and fully searchable. While mp3 can only chanin 1+1+1+, and play them only in a 1+1+1 linear fashion.
Who cares about AC3? everybody that wants to do DVD authoring. anyone who wants to convert their DVD-A into a compressed format.
<!--QuoteBegin--Guest@Dec 10 2003, 11:44 AM
"No, it is not different. They are simple html files. You can turn any html file collection into a hlp, chm file. get the help SDK kit from Microsoft. " Obviously if the text, formating and images are compiled into one file it IS VERY DIFFERENT from a standard HTML page and you need a decompiler to do it. Just because you can convert HTML to a .hlp file doesnt mean they are the same. [/quote]
You can take 300 images + texts + htmls and stuff them into single zip archive, does that make the content any different? no, it remains all the same.

pun
02-08-2004, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by oakley@Dec 8 2003, 02:49 AM
There are many reasons for using a site like this other then thinking

"I&#39;ll download an older version so I can get a crack"

1) Sheesh, not everyone can afford a brand new computer and if you look at the system requirements for newer programs they increase with each new version. So what&#39;s a person to do that runs a Pentium 200 MMX? Buy the latest version that has a system requirement of a Pentium 2 400?

2) the tread of this post if you read it is very informing once you ignore the insults. You can learn a lot of new things from reading other people&#39;s ideas and opinions.

3) What about the person that pays a licencing fee on a program that suits his purpose, loses the program through a hard drive crash, downloads the newer version and finds: A) My registery code no longer works and B.) The thing I liked most about the program I bought has been altered and I don&#39;t like the way it works now.

4) If you are seeking a program to do a certain thing IE: convert MP3 to WAV (Not a request BTW just an example) you can post a topic and ask for help.

It seems to me a site like this has many uses other then helping promote piracy.

pun
02-10-2004, 07:08 AM
http://www.ec-software.com/download.htm

Help & Manual lets you create and edit your online help project and export it to a many different output formats (HTML Help, Winhelp, plain HTML, Adobe PDF and others). You are immediately used to its clear and intuitive user interface. Download now and create your help file within the next 10 minutes&#33;

Help & Manual 3.4.0 Evaluation Version

This evalution version is fully functional and runs 14 days. It applies an "evaluation" marker to compiled help files which is not applied in the full version. To install Help & Manual, just download and run hmsetup.exe.

hmsetup.exe (file size 14.7 mb)

Supported operating systems:
Windows 98SE, ME, NT 4, 2000, XP and Windows 2003 Server.

Requirements:
RAM 64 mb, disk space 30 mb, screen resolution of 800x600 (1024x768 recommended).

So now it looks like the 3.31 version you have IS an old version.

locustfurnace
02-10-2004, 09:57 AM
Since this post got dug up; which I had no intentions of fulfilling, I suppose I will drop off some similar Freeware & Shareware titles.

Freeware Titles
Microsoft HTML Help 1.4 SDK (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?URL=/library/tools/htmlhelp/chm/hh1start.htm) (Freeware), HTML Help consists of an online Help Viewer, related help components, and help authoring tools from Microsoft Corporation.
Oasis SE (http://www.interfeb.com/main_se.html) (Freeware), Fully supports context-sensitive help projects, Supports export to .hpj, .rtf and .cnt file types
(Shareware)[/b].dk/soft/shelpmbeta/index.html]Shalom Help Maker v0.5.2 (http://www.danish-Abee Chm Maker (http://abeetech.com/) (Freeware), is program for easily making chm-files
HtmlToHlp (http://www.confluent.fr/javadoc/htmltohlpe.html) (Freeware), is a conversion tool which translates HTML files to RTF, in order to generate Windows help files from a set of HTML files. It handles the whole conversion, including the help file compilation
EclipseHelp (http://www.greeneclipsesoftware.com/eh.html) (Freeware), is the fast way to create help files for Windows 95, all in one compact, efficient piece of software.
AstroHelp (http://www10.pair.com/vsap/) (Freeware), A tool for creating Windows Help in an (somewhat antiquated:) Microsoft Word 6.x/7.x.
(Freeware)ware.com/jfprogramming.htm#cheetah]Cheetah 9 (http://jans(Freeware)ware.com/jfprogramming.htm#helpme]HelpMe 9 (http://jansHelpAid (http://zamora.home.mindspring.com/) is a program that processes text files coded with keywords to generate the HPJ and RTF files required as input by a Help Compiler.
(Freeware)ware.com/jftools.htm]EasyPDF (http://www.jansHTMLDOC (http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc/) (Freeware), Converts HTML files to PDF or PostScript, Generates a table-of-contents for books, Generates indexed HTML files
Keytools (http://www.keyworks.net/keytools.htm) (Freeware), Compiles, Decompiles .chm, .its files recreates .hhp files.

Shareware Titles Visual Help Pro 4.0 (http://www.winwareinc.com/visualhelp.html) (Shareware), It&#39;s the completely integrated help development environment. creates WinHelp 3.0, WinHelp 4.0, HTMLHelp,HTML Documents and RTF Manuals
FAR (http://www.helpware.net/FAR/aboutfar/aboutfar.htm) [b]((Shareware)), FAR is a collection of file and HTML Help utilities for authors. Download the full functional demo
HyperText Studio 4.06 (http://www.olsonsoft.com/) (Shareware), WYSIWYG HyperText Authoring tool provides a visual way to create your web sites, help files and other documentation.
Help Magician Elite (http://www.helpmagician.com/) (Shareware), The all-in-one Help and Web Authoring Tool for people who don&#39;t want to learn RTF or HTML. is the all-in-one, stand alone WYSIWYG Winhelp Help Authoring Tool, HTML Help Authoring Tool, and Web Site Builder.
RoboHelp Office X4 (http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/) (Shareware)
Visage (http://www.visagesoft.com/whdhtml/) for Windows Help Designer/HTML Edition is a specialized WYSIWYG environment for quickly and easily creating Microsoft HTML Help systems