PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Driver Problem

Jaime Andrés
01-11-2004, 04:01 AM
I recently upgraded my own PC and then put my old gigabyte mobo with fitted with a P3 1Ghz - 1024 DIMM RAM - Invida GF2MX400 graphics card, into my kids PC to run their games.
I wiped and formatted the HDD and installed Windows 98SE. The installation went OK until I installed the GFX driver. After the prompted reboot the PC hangs on '' Windows protection error'' and reboots into safemode. I then remove the the driver and the PC will work again but only with the Windows provided standard VGA driver at only 16 colours. I have tried to re-install the driver several times but with the same result. I have also downloaded a driver for that particular card from the internet but the results are the same.
When I had this kit installed on my PC I was running WinXP Pro without any problems.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

TheBulbasaurfreak
01-11-2004, 06:25 AM
What site did u download the driver from?

Jaime Andrés
01-11-2004, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by TheBulbasaurfreak@Jan 11 2004, 01:25 PM
What site did u download the driver from?
The first one was the from the CD that came with the card. Just in case that was corrupted I downloaded one from Elvira <sp> version NVIDIA Display Driver for Windows 9x version 4.13.01.2185, 09/19/2001.

locustfurnace
01-11-2004, 08:23 AM
Is that an AGP card? Does the motherboard support the voltage for the card? Is that card 3volts? Did you select the AGP speed, being 2x or 4x in the MOBO BIOS?
Did you previously have this card installed into the MOBO? And was it run with success while in Win98?
Did you install all the MOBO drivers, if it came with any. Such as any "4 in 1 packs"

NVIDIA software download page. (http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp)

Jaime Andrés
01-11-2004, 09:55 AM
Locustfurnace asked:

Is that an AGP card? ............. Yes
Does the motherboard support the voltage for the card?.............. Yes
Is that card 3volts?.................................. Yes (I think so)
Did you select the AGP speed, being 2x or 4x in the MOBO BIOS?............. 4x
Did you previously have this card installed into the MOBO?.................... Yes
And was it run with success while in Win98?........................... It was only ever used with Win XP Pro.
Did you install all the MOBO drivers, if it came with any. Such as any "4 in 1 packs"........ Yes

N.B. One thing crosses my mind, I seem to remember that Win 95/98/ doesn&#39;t like too much memory perhaps I should remove a stick of RAM and see if it works with 512 Mb.

locustfurnace
01-11-2004, 10:09 AM
Win98 can not take advantage of more than 512megs of RAM. Even if it did work with it, it would not use it. So that would be wasteful. Remember Windows 9x is a Desktop OS, not a server OS.

Is the Bios set to PNP or NON-PNP OS? You can mess with either OR, Windows 98 is a PNP OS. Some people recommened disabling this, some recommened the opposite. I never noticed much difference using either or while using Windows,

Do you have an older PCI card you can stuff into the box to use it? Then you can boot and check the system properties for any conflicts.

The Mobo does support the 4x Card? or just 2x? Also, is the card a 4x/8x or and older 2x/4x?
2/4x would be 3volts and 8x is usually 1.5 or 1.8 volts, 1.8 for AGP PRO cards. Plus AGP Pro usually have an additional power connector that will be hooked to the MOBO.
Whats the AGP aperature set to in the BIOS? 64M? or higher, if higher, lower it to 64.

This is a problem when you start using much newer hardware with such an old OS. Win9x does not recognize these devices out of the box, and sometimes there is a conflict in drivers.

You might want to remove all devices, such as modems, LAN cards, soundcards, extra drives not neeeded to install, such as extra DVD roms or burners, if you have 2 installed.
then slowly add them if your sucessful with the card.

And don&#39;t forget to check the MOBO sites for updates to their drivers as well.

you might also want to email the support dept at the video manufacturers site.

TheBulbasaurfreak
01-11-2004, 12:15 PM
Just follow locustfurnace&#39;s tips and you&#39;ll be alright.

the observer
01-11-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by TheBulbasaurfreak@Jan 11 2004, 01:15 PM
bulbausfreak if you are going to keep adding to discussions can you make it relevent or useful and not just a worthless piece of writing of no use

Jaime Andrés
01-11-2004, 05:42 PM
Thanks Locustfurnace I put another albeit less rapid card in and all seems to be working fine now http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Big-Thumbs-Up.gif

Jaime Andrés
01-11-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by the observer+Jan 11 2004, 11:58 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (the observer @ Jan 11 2004, 11:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--TheBulbasaurfreak@Jan 11 2004, 01:15 PM
bulbausfreak if you are going to keep adding to discussions can you make it relevent or useful and not just a worthless piece of writing of no use [/b][/quote]
Don&#39;t be too hard on this guy observer, all forums need input. Perhaps he was beaten to replying by Locustfurnace or he was just concurring with his views :)

TheBulbasaurfreak
01-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Ok. Sorry :o