PDA

View Full Version : Should I Downgrade?

Jay
11-26-2002, 12:36 PM
So I get a pop up this morning "Newer version of msn messenger available". I decide to do it. Check it out, here's the image.

http://psykho.com/msnmessenger.jpg

See the "Click here to join the stupid spam stuff we put on the top of your msn messenger" thing? Can you get rid of that? I suppose not. Just seems kind of intrusive.

What version of old msn messenger (or maybe some other thing that can carry msn messenger), in your opinions .. is best (using windows me os)?

Dago
11-26-2002, 12:42 PM
I would suggest getting messenger 4.6 it is the best. Just uninstall 5.0 and donwload 4.6 from this site.

TinyMonsteR
11-27-2002, 05:00 AM
yeah, i recommend 4.6 too. (by the way, my comp is windows me as well) i uninstalled because of the reason u r saying, the annoying "Customer Experience Improvement Program" thingee. & i can't see any good in 5.0, & no bots so far can take away those ads yet, so i got 4.6 back & i'm happy w/ it :rolleyes:

Simon
11-27-2002, 05:26 PM
Is there anything wrong with 4.7 that everyone reccomends 4.6? I thought 4.6->4.7 was just a bugfixing upgrade, so shouldn't you go for 4.7 to get the most bug-free one (excluding 5.0, of course).

Bacchus
11-28-2002, 03:26 PM
Ive got 4.7 seems the same as 4.6 to me and my msn plus thingy works with it too... No ads, no annoying pop up thing when you load it.. none of those friggin tabs to the left msn plus is a must get. i even hear they are making a plus for msn mess 5.0. check it out msn plus (http://www.patchou.com/msgplus/index.html)

Last edited by ABlix at Nov 28 2002, 05:20 PM

Jay
12-01-2002, 10:41 PM
I went with the 4.6 and works for me.

I kind of wondered the same thing though.. why people like 4.6 so much better. I'm using it .. has all that I like on it. Probably why?

It's 10 x better then that 5.0 junk. ;) .. that's a fact. IMO anyway ...

Law
12-03-2002, 12:58 PM
I am more than a little confused..I had A version of MSN messenger and non-broadband stylee net access, I then ungraded to MSN 5.0 and am on ADSL. For some reason messenger now refuses to connect, blaming a problem with internet access..has anybody else had this prob and if so what did you do about it? I have windows 98 if that makes any difference? :unsure:

lightsup55
12-03-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Law@Dec 3 2002, 01:58 PM
I am more than a little confused..I had A version of MSN messenger and non-broadband stylee net access, I then ungraded to MSN 5.0 and am on ADSL. For some reason messenger now refuses to connect, blaming a problem with internet access..has anybody else had this prob and if so what did you do about it? I have windows 98 if that makes any difference? :unsure:
What makes a difference is IF you have a firewall or not.

Do you have a firewall?
If yes, is it running? If so, let me know whether or not it is ZoneAlarm or something else (ex: McAfee Firewall).
If your firewall isn't running, it may have a hidden backgound program running that would be giving you the problem.

In your reply, please be more specific on the program's name and if you have free, pro, personal, etc.

If you DON'T HAVE A FIREWALL, I'm not sure what to do. :(

darkomega
12-04-2002, 12:27 AM
heh i use trillian pro but i also hear that esymessage is a good program also

http://www.easymessage.net

Law
12-04-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by lightsup55@Dec 3 2002, 03:34 PM
What makes a difference is IF you have a firewall or not.

Do you have a firewall?
If yes, is it running? If so, let me know whether or not it is ZoneAlarm or something else (ex: McAfee Firewall).
If your firewall isn't running, it may have a hidden backgound program running that would be giving you the problem.

In your reply, please be more specific on the program's name and if you have free, pro, personal, etc.

If you DON'T HAVE A FIREWALL, I'm not sure what to do. :(
I am completely and entirely computer illiterate....um...what's a firewall?! and how do i know if i have one or not?!

:blink:

Simon
12-04-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Law@Dec 4 2002, 12:29 PM
I am completely and entirely computer illiterate....um...what's a firewall?! and how do i know if i have one or not?!
A (personal) firewall is a program that can filter the data coming into and going out of your computer, to prevent against trojans, spyware, portscans, etc. To tell if you have one, hover your mouse over each of the items in the sytem tray (or the notification area in XP - it's in the bottom right hand of the screen), until a tooltip comes up, and tell us if any of them have the word 'firewall' in them, and if so, what is it. E.g. if one of them says 'Norton personal firewall' then tell us that.
N.B. Some will not actually say the word 'firewall' - the notable ones are Zonealarm and Mcaffe Guardian. Tell us if any of them say one of these as well.

-Simon

SSS
12-07-2002, 09:47 PM
Jay, are you running two MSN Messengers? I can see 2 ads at the bottom of the image. Im not saying that this is the problem. Im just asking you if there are two MSN Messenger's open.

Dave Drake
12-27-2002, 01:50 PM
If you go back to another version of messenger aren't you going to be bugged by the "new version is available" message that gets sent at least every day?

SSS
12-29-2002, 10:08 PM
Yeah, but you can set it to not ask you again until 1 week. To do that, click the message (thats in the box at the lower right corner of the screen) and when the window asking you to upgrade, Click the No option. Now click the Don't ask me again until one week checkbox. Click OK. It won't ask you again until one week. (Repeat the steps every week the message comes up.)

lightsup55
12-30-2002, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by SSS@Dec 29 2002, 11:08 PM
Repeat the steps every week the message comes up.
That's worse than Real Networks' RealPlayer which does that in 30 days if you don't want it to remind you about an update.

Either which way I think that if you don't want a program to remind you of a major update, it should never remind you at all until you disable that option. And when you upgrade, that setting should not get reset. Of course, no one cares what other people think Real Networks and MSN do whatever they feel like.

SSS
12-30-2002, 11:34 AM
Yeah, it is worse than Real Networks RealPlayer. But you will not get a update message if you download MSN Messenger 4.6 from MSN Messenger's home page (http://messenger.msn.com). I didn't get a update message when I installed it on my computer so, I don't know if you will get a update message or not. (I'm using Win95 which MSN Messenger 5.0 doesn't support.)

03-24-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by SSS@Dec 30 2002, 12:34 PM
Yeah, it is worse than Real Networks RealPlayer. But you will not get a update message if you download MSN Messenger 4.6 from MSN Messenger's home page. I didn't get a update message when I installed it on my computer so, I don't know if you will get a update message or not.
Close ... MSN will try to direct you to 5.0, but down in small print, they have this link to download 4.6 ... http://messenger.msn.com/install/dl.asp?ty...6&typlang=en-us (http://messenger.msn.com/install/dl.asp?typsys=6&typlang=en-us)

03-30-2003, 02:46 AM
Yea but you will get the upgrade message.

T5
04-14-2003, 08:03 AM
I would recommend dMSN, download from http://www.dmsn.nl/ It's a rather large 14mb download but the faciltiies are far superior and it has all the features you could only dream of!

Eanna
04-14-2003, 02:13 PM
Hi all!
Am on old computer running windows 95 and have msn mess. 4.6 but I do have the ads on mine anyway :angry: I was looking for a program to change the smilie faces as I dont like the new ones msn has. Yours here, for example, are quite cute! If I installed an older version of messenger, would I have to un-install what I have? The last time I did that with my internet explorer, it was a disaster :blink: While I am on the subject--can u install another internet browser as a back-up so you will always be able to get to the net? Thanks :D

Jay
04-16-2003, 06:40 PM
Hmm, this thread is still active. :)

As far as the question "am I using 2 messengers" from SSS sometime back. Nope, I wasn't.

I'm using 4.6 and have been for quite awhile now. Works great, happy with it. I get a pop up every Sunday to upgrade and I say nope. A once a week pop up isn't that annoying.

SSS
11-15-2003, 03:22 PM
When I update to another MSN Messenger version, I get the same thing about joining the Customer Experience Improvement Plan. But, I just click it and check, I don't want to right now or what ever it's called.

And, I also hate the thing about it in the options window.
http://www.freewebs.com/popsiclekid2/options.jpg

The Dude
11-17-2003, 06:36 PM
Sometimes older versions are better!!!!!!!!

I upgraded to the latest beta of aim (5.5.3415) and it sucked!!!! My computer was bogged down,etc......So i found 5.2.3277 again (Thank god) and i put that back on...................(What i had be4 the upgrade)

The Dude :)