PDA

View Full Version : Kazaa Not Connecting... Firewall?

guest_Amy
02-02-2004, 11:56 PM
I live on a campus that has some kinda firewall in place so that we can't download songs... I've tried new and old versions of kazaa, they open up okay but they just don't connect. It says 'Connecting...' in the bottom right corner of the screen but it never does. Is there nething i can do?

If u cud email ur responses 2 akel036@ec.auckland.ac.nz that wud b fab

locustfurnace
02-03-2004, 06:52 AM
Your University is not the only one to block p2p network apps from working. Many Colleges block these sorts of apps as it can be a legal problem with the colleges, as well as the students.
There can be many ways to block users from establishing a p2p connection. Some may use a firewall and block the known ports these applications use, some may use a transparent application level proxy which will restrict what applications connect through the proxy, this can also be made to filter certain files you might try to download, ie. any file that ends with a .mp3. Then even more strict admins might and could impliment both.

One application known to do 'application traffic management' is 'Packeteer,' which is designed to also find P2P, monitor P2P usage, block P2P, control P2P, restrict P2P, and eliminate P2P from the network.
Another similar program designed for blocking users from connecting to these Kazaa networks is P2Pwall (http://www.lowth.com/p2pwall/)

How do you get around this strict policy? You shouldn't, for many reason's, if your college is using these tools to block you from accessing the p2p networks, then there might also be a rule in your student handbooks which forbids your using these sorts of applications on the LAN. IF you manage to get a program to connect and are downloading files via a p2p app, it will be simple for the admins to find out who is connecting and downloading what, and if your University's policy forbids this, you might find yourself without access to the lan, or even worse, suspsended from college.

ralphi_d
02-03-2004, 10:17 AM
Agreed, however, you can still bypass that if you really want.

You can use a program like HTTP Tunnel, that will "tunnel" all the data through the regular web-surfing port.

You can find it here, however, you have to pay for it:

http://www.http-tunnel.com/html/

It will aslo work with other programs, you can read that on the site

ralphi_d
02-03-2004, 10:17 AM
Double-post. Nice start

Salopette
02-06-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by guest_Amy@Feb 3 2004, 12:56 AM
I live on a campus that has some kinda firewall in place so that we can't download songs... I've tried new and old versions of kazaa, they open up okay but they just don't connect. It says 'Connecting...' in the bottom right corner of the screen but it never does. Is there nething i can do?

Can you tell me excatly which versions did you use?

fed up
02-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Salopette+Feb 6 2004, 03:38 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Salopette @ Feb 6 2004, 03:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--guest_Amy@Feb 3 2004, 12:56 AM
I live on a campus that has some kinda firewall in place so that we can&#39;t download songs... I&#39;ve tried new and old versions of kazaa, they open up okay but they just don&#39;t connect. It says &#39;Connecting...&#39; in the bottom right corner of the screen but it never does. Is there nething i can do?

Can you tell me excatly which versions did you use? [/b][/quote]
salopette why dont you take a hike, ive not seen you enter one post other than kazaa related, CAN YOU READ, THE POST HAS AN EMAIL ADDRESS TO CONTACT, this is not a kazaa media desktop site. if you are so possessed with the subject go find a site that deals with that subject alone and stop pumping kazaa on old version all the time., if it was up to me i would have you banned from posting.. L,F. discouraged the poster of this thread from trying to use kazaa because it was the best thing to do, dont try and undermine someone with more knowledge than you could ever dream of. people must be getting fed up of it by now. NO NEED TO ANSWER THIS EITHER

CALM
02-06-2004, 05:27 PM
Fed Up beat me to the punch. :) I couldnt have said it better&#33; :)

kevin
02-21-2004, 09:45 PM
couldn&#39;t one just use kazaa lite socks5 proxy server option? just use a socks5 proxy server found at: http://www.atomintersoft.com/products/aliv...xy/socks5-list/ (http://www.atomintersoft.com/products/alive-proxy/socks5-list/) and put that in kazaa lite? would that work? my friend is at a university that blocks kazaa but doesn&#39;t, in the handbook, specify using such a program to be illegal. could i reccomend kazaa lite to him?

-kevin

locustfurnace
02-21-2004, 10:17 PM
You could use those listed proxys, only if you know your permitted to. Which requires emailing the owners of the proxy, just because some site lists them, does not mean they are/were supposed to be made available for the public use. Could just be an improperly configured proxy by the admins.
Which does not give you the right to access them, and could also be viewed as illegal access to their server&#39;s.
If the owners give you the OK, then you could use em.
But after looking at their latency, the listed proxy&#39;s will be extremely slow.

kevin
02-21-2004, 10:18 PM
so basically it would work but would be slow? i&#39;d need to find a private proxy? thanks

-kevin