PDA

View Full Version : Aim 5.5 Released

igor
02-05-2004, 05:35 PM
After releasing AIM 5.2.3292 in August, it was a long time since AOL released any updates. Today, 5.5.3572 was released.

AIM 5.5 includes two major updates:
- video conferencing
- multiple screen names in one buddy list

-igor

Evan
02-08-2004, 03:19 PM
ugg the 5.5 wtvr the rest was is horrible i hate the way the linking is set up and the games it makes it just looks ugly. i just stay with 5.2 tilll it gets better

netman
02-10-2004, 01:26 PM
I upgraded to this new AIM version, and it screwed up the Dead AIM install. When you go to My AIM, there's no longer a "Dead AIM Options" option. I tried to reinstall Dead AIM and nothing. I downgraded AIM to version 5.2.3292 and I still don't have that option. Anyone run into this problem?

netman
02-10-2004, 01:30 PM
I shut down AIM completely, did a repair and now it's working fine. I guess that the latest version of Dead AIM is not yet compatible with the latest version of AIM.

The Evil Genius
02-10-2004, 02:38 PM
My sounds wouldn't even work on the new version today so I'm gonna stay with the old one until I know it's 100% finished and working.

Pyroman8813
02-10-2004, 03:48 PM
yea i just dled 5.5 today... big mistake dead aim no longer wrks with it so i have chat windows all over the place everything about it was just anoying. the only plus to it was having the video confrancing but that is no where near enough to make up for all the clutter and lack of logs due to not having dead aim. besides i can use msn for the video confrancing if i want anyways. but neways for those ppl who made the same mistake what u have to do is dl an older version of aim and then repair or reinstall dead aim... i think that u gonna need to reinstal but midas well try to repair it first. o and i not sure if 5.2....whateva the the version right before this still wrks cauase i tryed to dl that one and then it auto upgraded of course that was off of aol.com so if u get it from here it might wrk but neways basicaly just keep trying older versions until u get 1 that wrks aight hehehe this was a long post

02-10-2004, 05:09 PM
Dead AIM 4.1 isn't compadable with version. it was compadible w/the 5.5.2xxx beta however. i have that on CD, mabey i should submit it...

Cody
02-10-2004, 07:56 PM
Whats with the buttons in the wrong place? Thats what pissed me off the most... the profile button isnt even in the bottom toolbar anymore. It screwed my Dead AIM up and when I tried to re install it AIM went corruppt and I lost all my covos, away msgs, preferences and everything else (thank god i saved my b/l)

What a joke. :angry:

The Dude
02-20-2004, 04:26 PM
If you install ANY OF THE 5.5 AIM VERSIONS,make sure to READ THIS THREAD (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9355764~mode=flat).....

Keep yourself proteted!! Delete the crap spyware that comes with 5.5+ (That thread explains all)

The Dude http://www.webhostingtalk.com/images/smilies/angryfire.gif

02-22-2004, 04:47 AM
I only use the old version of AOL IM , the new stuff is not better, it just allows AOL to put more ads on your machine------------ I hate AOL.

02-22-2004, 04:49 AM
If you want to use AOL, find middleman and delete the ads at leasty.
http://middleman.krunchsoftware.com/

02-22-2004, 09:42 PM
aim 5.5 sucks, you cant change the away messages or profiles on linked screen names. THAT SUCKS. i use 5.2 still, being able to use my cams not worth it.

Elisabeth
02-29-2004, 11:14 AM
[FONT=Geneva][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]

Yeah go to manage link sns then u should be able to change them

Help Please want to get back to
03-01-2004, 09:53 PM
Please help. If anyone has figured out how to go back from AIM 5.5 to 5.2. I want to go back to using the old version of Dead AIM with out losing my logs. Basically the story is that I had the free version of Dead AIM installed with AIM 5.2 non beta. then I tried asking a person who upgraded and I got the wrong impression that old Dead AIM worked with AIM 5.5. so I upgraded. well after the upgrade Dead AIM no longer worked, I thought I had a back up of the old way but it turns out that the program containing that backup expired ( how nice!!!) well I really would like to know if anyone has figured out how to get it back to using both old versions so that I can go back to using a log. Thanks for any advice given.
I agree AIM 5.5 messed everything up

locustfurnace
03-01-2004, 09:59 PM
Most Windows apps now write info into the registry, which makes it difficult to downgrade apps these days. You can uninstall the program, but the versions info is left in the registry, If you have a backup of your registry, just replace it.
But I know 90% of most computer users never think making backups is important til after they need it.
It is possible to edit the registry an remove all reg keys; which allow you to use any version you want, but if you have never done this, its not something someone should attempt without having a backup of the registry; or the understanding of the registry. Make a backup of your registry if you plan to edit it.

curtthematian
03-14-2004, 11:14 PM
so how does that help me. that was just a comment about being too late to do anything about it. so what should I do.
ps I am the one who posted march 1 at 10:53

locustfurnace
03-15-2004, 01:24 AM
Take the advice given and learn from it, go and seeek out registry editing apps; try them, see if that solves the problem.
Or, backup your registry and edit the registry by hand, and see if you can find all the keys and values and remove them.
No one has made an app to do this for you (downgrade AIM), this requires you to learn alittle about the registry and how to edit it.
Your not totally alone in this, alot of people either have to just deal with the current situation, or they decide to get their own hands into the process.
You want a simple solution, and there is one simple solution to this problem, reinstall your whole operating system, then backup the registry and keep it safe, then install whatever apps you want to run. Do not install them before you backup your registry.
This solution is not the ideal one for most either, but if you do not have a backup, there is not a whole lot you can do without attempting to edit the reg.
But try a registry cleaner first, you might be successful.

The Dude
03-15-2004, 10:34 AM
I would stay away from AIM 5.5!!!!!!!! (Unless you know what your doing!!)

It installs spyware!!!!!!!!!! (Wildtangent,etc..........)

Read all about it HERE (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9512977~mode=flat)..

Im Quite happy with 5.2.3277 (With "127.0.0.1 ar.atwola.com" in my hosts file to block all the stupid ads and stuff http://www.webhostingtalk.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

The Dude :)