PDA

View Full Version : Re-installing Winxp Patches

Jaime Andrés
02-18-2004, 03:20 PM
Still on re-installing patches, does the same apply for win xp patches :unsure: I have to download (yet again) SP1 to another PC. This is a 30Mb+ download which invairably times out nearly at the end of the file. I have it on my desktop pc, but copying and pasting the SP1 update file to the other PC does nothing :(

locustfurnace
02-18-2004, 03:32 PM
You could had dropped this in with the other patch posting - to help keep the board tidy.
If your got the patch on the desktop - is it a shortcut only? copy n pasting a shortcut will not copy the files. its just a link to the actual location of the files.
so you might want to right click on the desktop item, go to properties, and follow the link to the source of where thoise files are being installed.
do you NEED these SP1 packs? dont install patches if you dont need em, alot of the times patches are for other hardware support, and alot of the times people who patch/update their system end up messing the whole thing up, since the system worked well BEFORE the patching took place.

Are you getting the SP from microsofts site? or another website which is hosting the files? can you download the whole SP as a single file? if so, try using a download manager.

You could also try locating where the patches are being placed with the FIND utility, set it to find files on the day you download them - such as todays date, only return files created on this date.
Then you might have a better idea where they are being stored at - if you have not been able to find em
As said, the desktop link, is just that a link to the location of the stored files.

pun
02-18-2004, 04:15 PM
If you have a small hard drive sitting around you could slave it into the PC that has the SP1 patch, copy the files to the slaved hard drive then add the hard drive into the second PC to install the SP1 patches to the second PC. A form of a poor man's burner. Just make sure you do a thorough scan dick first to make sure the slaved drive is error free or you might not get a good copy.

locustfurnace
02-18-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by pun@Feb 18 2004, 05:15 PM
If you have a small hard drive sitting around you could slave it into the PC
I have done that quiet often in the past myself.
But now its much simpler just to have the other computers on the network, and just share a folder between them, and use that.
This is similar to how i run my backup imaging server also.
I can reinstall/create images for my systems, I run a partimged deamon on the server, and use a bootable CD-rom with the partimage client ware, and just load up the bootable CD rom on the system i want to install/restore/create an image of the system for. Then configure the interfaces ip address, then gateway, log into the server, and begin backing-up or restoring.
Works well, and is reasonably fast on a 100Mb network. Takes about 4 minutes to do a backup w/compression on a 1 gig disk image.
And can do multiple backups/restores at a single time, so i could restore/backup several systems in no time at all.

this eliminates the shuffling of harddrives, cd-rom drives between systems, and saves alot of time.

Jaime Andrés
02-18-2004, 05:02 PM
locustfurnace suggested

You could had dropped this in with the other patch posting - to help keep the board tidy.

I thought about that but then thought I would be admonished for adding a different O/S to a Win 98 thread :unsure:

Jaime Andrés
02-18-2004, 05:07 PM
pun, why can you not do this with a cd rom :unsure:

LF, I am having great trouble with my wireless LAN at present so the networking option is out until I can work out how to get the 4PC's (all running winxp pro) talking again :(

locustfurnace
02-18-2004, 05:21 PM
I think pun was just saying that if you do not have a cd-burner.

I can't help ya out with the wireless lan; don't use em. I will stick with wired for a long time, since there is greater speed. Planning to eventually move to a gigabit network in time; have to wait til all OS's catch up to the gigabit technology. As VNC is still not that snappy on a 100MB network. The only thing I prefer wireless is the headphones, keyboard & mouse.
Maybe you just need to uninstall and reinstall the drivers for the wireless lan.
You are prolly hookin up the machines to the lan via a DHCP server?

pun
02-18-2004, 05:21 PM
Actually Jaime I was assuming if you had a burner in the PC with the SP1 patch in it you would have already burned to transfer so I was presenting an alternative way to do this. That and the fact you might not want to waste a full CD for 30 mbs of a patch.

And yes I know what assume means :lol:

Sometimes an idea you can't use will be useful to the next reader so hopefully my last post not a total waste of space.

And really when it comes to that if both machines have burners you could always use a CD-RW.

Lots of ways to transfer files between 2 PCs. I've even Emailed a smaller file to myself to get it on a second PC.

locustfurnace
02-18-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by pun@Feb 18 2004, 06:21 PM
And really when it comes to that if both machines have burners you could always use a CD-RW.
You dont need a cd-burner to read a CD-RW. Most newer CD-Roms should be able to read those with little trouble.

Jaime Andrés
02-18-2004, 05:54 PM
I did burn a cd with the file folder 'service pack files' and placed it in exactly the same place in C:\Windows as the patched PC. Although all the files are there, when I check the PC system info it doesn't say Windows XP Pro 2002 service patch 1 nor does it appear on the add remove programs. I think it is there but needs an install mechanism :unsure:

locustfurnace
02-18-2004, 06:01 PM
You need to copy the installer routine, copy n pasting the files wont patch the current files. they will just sit there.
Look in the c:\windows\temp and look for the files; if they were placed there, the ones that are .exe files. and run those on the other PC's.
Also might want to flip through the c:\windows\temporary internet files
and see if the downloaded patches (???.exe) are there. then copy those over to the other computers.

something that might be of interested to you, how to build a bootable slipstreamed XP w/SP1 install CD.
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp1_cd.htm

guest_guest
02-25-2004, 11:19 AM
here is a questions that is somewhat related.

if i uninstall the SP1 patch will that also uninstall the recovery files it created with it? if not can i get rid of those recovery files? after i installed SP1 my computer slowed down considerably (sadly i installed it because i was told to and didn't really ask why).

and also, is there a way to restore my windows movie maker to the old version? i dled the upgrade for that and now it can't read any of my peripherals (cam, mic etc.).

thanks.

locustfurnace
02-25-2004, 11:29 AM
If you can uninstall the Sp1, then those recover files are there just for this purpose, to keep a recovery of what was changed. If you can not uninstall the SP1, then those recover files would seem pointless to keep around.
I do not know if you can downgrade the Movie maker, you might want to totally uninstall it. then reinstall it from your original Windows installation CD.

02-25-2004, 11:36 AM
thanks. i will try that.

Artist of Doom
02-25-2004, 12:28 PM
I bet the free Microsoft Security Update CD would contain XP SP1

Mentioned here: http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...t=ST&f=1&t=1990 (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=1990)

Direct link: http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp

--------------------------------------------------------------------
-Artist of Doom
Please check out and join the forums at: http://www.the-misc.com
(And please vote for my guest comic while you're there:
http://www.the-misc.com/bs.php?strip_id=21 )