PDA

View Full Version : 403 Error

firelady
02-19-2004, 08:50 PM
i'm receiving a 403 explorer-forbidden error whenver i try to download from you guys. I've checked browser settings, ZAPro settings, Norton settings, etc. and still can't figure it out. I just got an IE6 upgrade, but am feeling rather dumb at this point. Any advice por favor? :blink:

igor
02-19-2004, 09:07 PM
Is anyone else is having the same problem?

Everything is working fine for me.

-igor

locustfurnace
02-19-2004, 09:56 PM
Are you saying the 403? error is when you download from the main site? or from a link within the forum? there is a difference; which should be clarified.
Which file did you try to download?
I have no problems at all. Which makes me wonder exactly where your downloadin' from.

firelady
02-19-2004, 11:10 PM
yes, the error comes from directly downloading from this site. i've downloaded before with no problems at all, but this began about a week ago. i'm not saying it's necessarily on your end exclusively, i was just wondering if someone with more expertise/experience had heard of this problem happening before. it happens with everything i've tried to download (kazaalite,AIM,etal.)

locustfurnace
02-19-2004, 11:15 PM
Are you running Windows XP? Have you by any chance disabled JavaScripting?
Do you have the Xp Firewall enabled; if running XP, Any chance you have Zonealarm installed?

firelady
02-20-2004, 12:20 AM
yes, I'm running Xp. I haven't disabled javascripting, and yes, I'm running ZoneAlarmPro. The XP firewall is not enabled. I've been at this on and off for about two days. :ph34r:

locustfurnace
02-20-2004, 12:23 AM
Try disabling the Zonealarm, then see if you can download, I have heard of many people experiencing similar 403 errors while running Zonealarm.

If disabling the Zonealarm does solve the problem, then you will need to head over to their web site and see if they have posted a work around.

the following link might help you out some, it's a forum on Zonealarm, of a user experiencing the same problems you are. With a possible fix for the situaiton.
http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/board/...message.id=6793 (http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=access&message.id=6793)

firelady
02-20-2004, 12:57 AM
Have you heard of Norton Antivirus (or any other Norton programs) have a similar affect? Also, isn't it risky to disable my firewall and then download something?

locustfurnace
02-20-2004, 01:06 AM
You won't be disabling it for long, just to see if you are able to download or not. this way you can rule it out, or it can be pointed to be the culpruit.

Many people run systems without firewalls for a long time, its not that if you lower the shield, you will be attacked instantly. Also, if someone would be determined enough to get into your system, they would. Firewalls won't keep a determined person out. Just as locks on your car/house wont keep a determined thief from stealing the car. Firewalls & locks basically just are used to keep honest people honest.
Firewalls are deterants, and help alert you when someone is jiggling the doorknob, but dont think they will stop the most determined.
But they basically provide a security on the level as door locks do.

Just turn it off, try to download the file you want, if the file is downloaded sucessfully, you then know the cause of the problem. Then stick your firewall back into place. Should take mere seconds.

if the file does still not download, then you can turn off the Anti-virus app, and attempt to download as well. Is the Nortons just a virus scanner or a security suite of applications? Such as also being a firewall?

firelady
02-20-2004, 01:17 AM
you are my new favorite person. i've been fighting this for over two days, and never thought about ZoneZlarm being the culprit because the same version had no such affect on my friends system. thank you so much. :D

locustfurnace
02-20-2004, 01:24 AM
Hopefully your problem is resolved; you did not say if you did manage to download files successfully.
Alot of the times firewalls are passed around to solve one issue, while resulting in the creation of a new problem.
Whenever you find yourself in a spot, you should disable as many running apps as possible, to help solve the problem by a very old process; the process of elimination!
Most of the times, firewalls and anti-viral apps are the cause for so many troubles. Those 2 should always be suspects; #1 and #2.

firelady
02-20-2004, 01:29 AM
yes, the downloads were successful. thanx again.

locustfurnace
02-20-2004, 01:39 AM
Good to hear!
Your very welcome.