PDA

View Full Version : What Trial

stud
02-22-2004, 11:35 AM
i notice oldversion has nero ultra edition, could you advise me of how much this roughly costs to purchase if i like it, i dont want to download and try if its too expensive i wont bother as im on dial up and it takes ages, cheers

pun
02-22-2004, 12:27 PM
As any company can change their prices on their website sometimes overnight, you're better off checking on this information for yourself. The link to their purchase page with their prices is listed below.

https://secure.nero.com/us/secure.asp

locustfurnace
02-22-2004, 12:59 PM
If you do not wish you purchase a license for Nero, there are alternatives, some FREEWARE ones which work well also.
Check the threads here for freeware CD Recording apps.
http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...8&hl=burnatonce (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=1538&hl=burnatonce)

the gaffer
02-22-2004, 01:17 PM
<_< http://www.deepburner.com/ heard about this recently and gave it a go, an excellent program and totally free ;) now who was it told me about that

guest_Tom
02-22-2004, 05:16 PM
Buy Nero version 3 or 4 on e-bay. I brought mine for a quid then purchase an upgrade license from Ahead (Nero). Save yourself a few bob that way&#33;

stud
02-23-2004, 01:01 PM
cheers for the info tom, just bought a copy 1.50 today itll do for me

guest_Tom
02-24-2004, 03:58 AM
Glad to be of help. What version did you get?

If it is older than 5.5.10 (I think ?) you will not get any of the encoding capbilities. I use NERO&#39;s AAC/MP4 codec hence the need to purchase.

stud
02-24-2004, 04:13 AM
the version is 5.5.5.1 its perfect i dont think i will bother with upgrading as it does more than i will ever need, at the moment anyways. cheers to all for the help

locustfurnace
02-24-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by guest_Tom@Feb 24 2004, 04:58 AM
I use NERO&#39;s AAC/MP4 codec hence the need to purchase.
Ivan and Menno both work on the MP4/AAC encoder, and Menno has developed a Free AAC encoder/decoder (FAAC & FAAD), which can be found elsewhere&#39;s. Ivan&#39;s company has developed the Psytel AAC encoder, though its not free now it to can be found in its older release states which were free.
I believe the Mpeg4ip package does include the FAAC. Mpeg4ip can also be found for free, in binary and source form.

guest_Tom
02-24-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by locustfurnace+Feb 24 2004, 02:01 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (locustfurnace @ Feb 24 2004, 02:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--guest_Tom@Feb 24 2004, 04:58 AM
I use NERO&#39;s AAC/MP4 codec hence the need to purchase.
Ivan and Menno both work on the MP4/AAC encoder, and Menno has developed a Free AAC encoder/decoder (FAAC & FAAD), which can be found elsewhere&#39;s. Ivan&#39;s company has developed the Psytel AAC encoder, though its not free now it to can be found in its older release states which were free.
I believe the Mpeg4ip package does include the FAAC. Mpeg4ip can also be found for free, in binary and source form. [/b][/quote]
Sadly FAAC is not up to speed just yet and at the listening tests (http://www.rjamorim.com/test/aac128test/results.html) lost to the Psytel one which was over two years old at the time. Ahead&#39;s (Nero) Codec is developed from the Psytel one but now surpasses it due to the extensive work Menno and Ivan have done on it.

You could have added Winamp and Itunes both which have AAC and are free (you need to purchase Winamp 5 Pro if you want to encode at greater speeds than 2X which the free version is limited to)

FAAC can be found in Foobar 2000. You can download both Pystel and FAAC at [URL=http://rarewares.hydrogenaudio.org/]Rarewares.

locustfurnace
02-24-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by guest_Tom@Feb 24 2004, 03:56 PM
You could have added Winamp and Itunes both which have AAC and are free (you need to purchase Winamp 5 Pro if you want to encode at greater speeds than 2X which the free version is limited to)

FAAC can be found in Foobar 2000. You can download both Pystel and FAAC at* [URL=http://rarewares.hydrogenaudio.org/]Rarewares.
I personally dont use AAC. I stick with ogg-vorbis, due to the speed, smaller filesizes, serial #, multiple streams in 1 container, the extensive metadata; which i dump into an SQL database, and being opensourced software allows me to find an ogg encoder/decoder on any platform I run, and the opportunity to modify part of the encoders/decoder to my own personal needs, which i have done with the ogginfo bin file to better extract the metadata for importing into SQL in the layout I preferred.

I dont use winamp or iTunes, so I unaware of their abilities, am aware that Quicktime handles AAC as well, but i am sure costs for these features. Mpeg4ip is free.

I am also a member of hydrogenaudio, been for a few years now.

guest_Tom
02-25-2004, 02:07 AM
Quicktime won the last test but can only encode at a constant Bitrate. I also think that ogg vorbis is going to be in for a rough ride over the next 18 months. The sudden advancement of aac/mp4 has left it by the wayside somewhat especially with still real no hardware support :(

I don&#39;t use Winamp or Itunes either - on the PC Itunes only works for Windows 2000+ and is a 20mb download at that&#33;

locustfurnace
02-25-2004, 10:50 AM
I don&#39;t feel ogg has been left to the wayside. Its never been really in the mainstream. But limited hardware support has not really hindered its development. as ogg-vorbis has made it into video games. There is a DVD player which does support oggs; KISS Dvd player, there is a handheld PDA - Zaurius.
I would not base my choice on possible hardware support, as i have a dvd player which has built-in AC3 and mp3 decoding, yet I dont use it for that.
I do not use ogm either.
I have built a few jukebox&#39;s from old thinclient&#39;s using NFS, so if there is a lack of hardware support it does not affect me personally as i just end up building one. There is no support of Musepack either, but the developers seem to still be developing for it. No hardware support for any of the lossless decoders as well. Again, this is not stopping them from developing. There might be alot of support for WMA, but i would never use this format for any music, due to lack of source code.
I have been using ogg-vorbis for over 5 years now, and with the 1.0 release, I&#39;ve found it to cover just about everything i needed.
Last time I tested an AAC encoder, it still was painfully slow. I really do not want to spend 20 minutes encoding 1 song.

And AAC has had many big money backers, Dolby, Sony, Apple, Fhg, RCA (Thompson). While ogg-vorbis is still handled by a few without the financial backin. So that does make a difference.

guest_Tom
02-26-2004, 02:16 AM
Let&#39;s agree to disagree on this one although I hope you are not stating though because ogg vorbis does not have any big backers it makes it a better choice than aac/mp4&#33; At low bitrates, which vorbis should excel at, it was beaten by Nero&#39;s encoder (and Quicktimes) in a recent 64kbs test.

I am not arguing either (or even mentioned&#33;) because of lack of hardware that there should be no development - the majority of people will not use those codecs that do not have portable support.

Personally I use Musepack and FLAC and have made a PC jukebox to support this but I also like the Nero MP4 Codec and mp4 in general. Hopefully FAAC will do well in the next tests and I may revisist that open source option.

As for slow encoding (which I have never found) give it another go............

Take care.

locustfurnace
02-26-2004, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by guest_Tom+Feb 26 2004, 03:16 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (guest_Tom @ Feb 26 2004, 03:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>although I hope you are not stating though because ogg vorbis does not have any big backers it makes it a better choice than aac/mp4&#33; [/b]
This is not what I am stating, I just stated that with the financial backing of the big players, it does help AAC in the development process.

Originally posted by -guest_Tom@Feb 26 2004, 03:16 AM
it was beaten by Nero&#39;s encoder (and Quicktimes) in a recent 64kbs test.
Honestly, I do not care what strangers opinions are about what they preceive to be better in a blind test. Whats better for them might be one thing, for me it is another. There are many ABX testing done on hydrogenaudio. I take the results like a grain of salt. There exists way too many variables. Such as the listeners speakers, soundcards, room accoustics, ac noise in the computer....etc.
If you conduct a blind testing in a controlled environment, in a perfect room. thats much different, but then again, variables play a part as well. Such as the persons taking the tests and how well their hearing is.
In the end it again is what the listener preceives to be the best. Some people think pepsi is the best an other&#39;s like Coke, some say you cant tell the difference in a blind test. I can tell the difference between coke and pepsi blindfolded. It&#39;s what I prefer that i will say is the winner.
With Ogg-Vorbis, the quality is good enough, but for me, what I determined that is more important is filesizes and the amount of metadata I can extract from the files, and having access to the source code, so I can make modifications that suit me, is an extremely valuable option.
It&#39;s interesting to know that Nero also has support for VQF, and also has done some changes to it. Not sure I understand why they had/are including this encoder.

Originally posted by -guest_Tom@Feb 26 2004, 03:16 AM
the majority of people will not use those codecs that do not have portable support. Again, I can care less what my fellow friends are doing. The majority of people will use the codecs that are told is the one for them, from the likes of Microsoft, or Apple or whoever they listen to.

<!--QuoteBegin--guest_Tom@Feb 26 2004, 03:16 AM
As for slow encoding (which I have never found) give it another go.[/quote] Try using the older Psytel encoders on a P200non-MMX, or even on the past 900Mhz box i had. I have not given it a try on the AMD XP 2500 machine i am running currently.

It really is just a matter of personal preferrence. Some people use Windows, Apple OS, some GNU/Linux, others *BSD, and even others pick from many other choices. Just because GNU/Linux lacks the hardware support that windows has, does not make GNU/Linux any less useful. For me, I would never make a GNU/Linux Server, the choice for me is always *BSD. But this does not mean GNU/Linux is not a good options for a server. I just prefer *BSD for servers.
AAC is a fine codec for those who want to make use of it. But it does not suit my requirements.

Fury
03-19-2004, 05:55 PM
Stud if you want nero or most of old version programs for free just download it and then get a serial number there are many web sites that will give you one. I can give you one htat i use, but i recomend you have a spyware deleter like ad-aware. Go to this site to get Serials (http://www.ebay.com)I hope i can help not only for htis program but for los more. You can find anyhting there.

yes you can find anything there ;)

locustfurnace
03-19-2004, 08:17 PM
Serials are illegal, buy the license if you want to use the program.
Otherwise, if you say your can&#39;t afford the software so you have to revert to stealing it, then use a free alternative, which have been posted in the forum already.

Originally posted by stud@Feb 24 2004, 05:13 AM
cheers for the info tom, just bought a copy 1.50 today itll do for me.....the version is 5.5.5.1 its perfect i dont think i will bother with upgrading as it does more than i will ever need, at the moment anyways. cheers to all for the help

Since the poster has resolved their problem buy purchasing an older version, this thread can now be closed, otherwise it will just be getting spammed with replies like the recent one from fury