PDA

View Full Version : Ie

Dale
11-30-2002, 08:26 PM
Does anyone know which version of Internet Explorer is the most reliable to work under win98
I reinstall entired computer and cant get 4. 5.5 or 6 to work right. I crash, freeze, fatal exception etc.

epp_b
11-30-2002, 09:50 PM
Ha ha ha ha! You make me laugh! Since when have "Microsoft" and "reliable" ever been together in the same sentence, let alone the same website! But, all joking aside...

I use IE 5.5 and rarely experience problems (which, ironically, contradicts my first sentence in this reply...)

When downloading IE, did you make sure that you selected the option to "Download and Install later"? This way, it doesn't install IE as it's downloading the files, making it a more quick, stable installation.

Quick fix: Get Windows 2000 :) Comes with IE 5.5, Microsoft's best browser.

12-01-2002, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by epp_b@Nov 30 2002, 10:50 PM
Ha ha ha ha! You make me laugh! Since when have "Microsoft" and "Rock-Solid" ever been together in the same sentence, let alone the same website! But, all joking aside...

I use IE 5.5 and rarely experience problems (which, ironically, contradicts my first sentence in this reply...)

When downloading IE, did you make sure that you selected the option to "Download and Install later"? This way, it doesn't install IE as it's downloading the files, making it a more quick, stable installation.

2000 comes with 5.0

Dale
12-01-2002, 10:26 AM
Thanks Gold.

Yes "rock solid" was a bit of a stretch. Using win98se and ie6. go to back off to 5.5 until I move up to winXP. Oh how I wish they could come up with an operating system burned into a prom and impossible to crash except with a hammer...sight...

epp_b
12-01-2002, 06:55 PM
Are you sure that Win2000 comes with 5.0? I'm fairly sure that it's 5.5. Or does it come with one of the Service Packs? Please, prove me wrong.

collie
12-06-2002, 06:03 PM
win2k - no service packs - comes with ie5

both of which i find fairly stable

i don't think a service pack will upgrade IE. although i'll try sp2 soon

should i use sp2 or 3? anyone?

ati allinwonder 128 pro, latest drivers, mmc7.1 - trying to use digital vcr actually freezes win2k - mouse & all - ctrlaltdel does nothing.

now 98se never did that.
it just crashed the app which could normally be restarted.

win2k had 28,000 bugs.
those were the ones which ms admitted to anyway.
reports of 63,000 are around.

i dont think a prom chip would stop bugs only file corruption.
you can run win9x from cd.

Steve
12-11-2002, 02:31 PM
Win2000 actually comes with IE 5.01 although the build number on the About screen does not show this. Windows 98SE comes with IE5.0, Windows ME comes with IE5.5 and Windows XP comes with IE6.

With regard to stability we build machines all the time for our test lab and don't get any problems. These use every OS from Win95 to XP and every browser from IE4 onwards. The problems do start when we install other programs especially those that interact with IE such as Real Player. We also get problems with the drivers supplied with audio and video cards, especially the more expensive ones which have more 'advanced' features.

I am no fan of Microsoft but a lot of the stability problems are not their fault.

OldVersion.com Admin
12-11-2002, 02:31 PM
http://browsers.evolt.org/

12-16-2002, 10:29 AM
IE5.0x is a horrible browser, it isn't any better than 4.0
IE is as dead as Communicator. It will never work correctly.

maxpower
12-17-2002, 10:42 AM
sigh...

the post above is totally inaccurate. Infact it should be tagged is flamebait and sent to KC :0

For windows98, Internet Explorer 5.02 (sp2, 128bit) is recognized as thee most stable release next to ie6 and all of its updates. 5.5 is known for its evil quickrs here and there. So....i would stick with 5.02

laffingravy
01-01-2003, 06:33 PM
I'm using Windows 98 with IE5.5 and recommend that you do what worked for me. For convenience's sake, I ordered the cd from Windows Update for about five bucks. Seems most of my problems with IE resulted from being downloaded from the internet, and installing from the cd has given me the most stable IE I have ever used. Good to have a copy on cd.......real timesaver. PS, I'm using AOL 3.0 from this site on an older model 386 with Windows 3.1 , both work great! Thanks to Oldversion.com.

DJGM
01-14-2003, 06:45 PM
The stability of any version of IE remains to be a cause for concern for me. Mind you, it's rendering
engine is still that of IE4, and is as old as the rendering engine built into Communicator. The one
thing that has convinced me to steer clear of IE on Windows, is it's very poor security record.
In November, IE had 32 open security vulnerabilities. Since then, there have been two
cumulative roll up patches to fix numerous bugs and security holes in one go, but
as of 31st December 2002, there are still 19 unpatched security holes (http://www.pivx.com/larholm/unpatched/) in IE!

My advice . . . dump IE. There are some far superior, (and far more secure) web browsers out there.

Mozilla . . . (best of the bunch)
http://mozilla.org/releases/

Netscape 7.01 . . . (based and built on Mozilla)
Official release: http://browsers.netscape.com/
DJGM-i Distros: http://djgm-i.net/clubnetscape/

Opera . . . (v7 currently in beta)
http://www.operasoftware.com/

Phoenix . . . (soon to be renamed)
http://mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/

Adam
01-20-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Guest@Dec 16 2002, 11:29 AM
IE5.0x is a horrible browser, it isn't any better than 4.0
IE is as dead as Communicator. It will never work correctly.

No, absolutely wrong. IE 5 and any later version is a vast improvement over 4. IE 4 had some extremely horrible javascript handling bugs that were corrected in 5. When I have to use IE, I use IE 6 without any technical glitches.

And I'll agree with another poster that for most of your web-browsing needs, Mozilla is the best of the bunch.

02-07-2003, 05:39 AM
I've found IE5 to be a bit more stable than any of the 4.x browsers, while still not having all of the bugs resulting from the new features in 5.5 and 6.0.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what the last released/most-updated version/build of 5.x (5.0x, not 5.5x) was? And where I could get both the Win95, Win98 (and up), WinNT, and Win2K versions?

(Well, maybe W2K isn't needed, it comes with 5.01 or 5.02 already, with SP2 installed.)

I think some of the older MSN signup CDs have the right version of IE 5.0x on them too, but I'm not sure if that is the most-updated one or not.

PS. Interesting site, I'm bookmarking it for later. I have a pile of old archived versions of stuff that you guys don't have.

02-09-2003, 02:11 AM
http://www.mozilla.org

SSS
03-03-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by epp_b@Nov 30 2002, 09:50 PM
Windows Millenium is the one the comes with 5.5.

lifeover.com
03-13-2003, 04:42 AM
i use IE 5.5 flawlessly on my WIN98 Machine, and IE6 on my windows 2000 server, and have yet to have a single crash or major problem in months and months of operation

yeti
05-08-2003, 08:09 AM
WOW, you all are nuts. All IE's have bugs, most of them crash, but it also relates to your OS, processor, memory, etc....

Get Opera, It's never crashed on me ever and is so fast compared to Mozillia.

Now someone mentioned above about running 98 from a cd. Did that person mean like running the whole OS from the CD, like Knoppix? If such an animal exist, where can I get a copy?

Thanx.

Jeremy
returnoftheyeti@msn.com

PS. I have Win2k w/ SP 3 slipstreamed into it and it has IE 5.5. I know this because the only browser I use is Opera, except for a web page that I have to use because of school and it only renders properly in IE.

And if you look on a lot of the old AOL and MSN CD's that are out there and you look in the hidden files, there are full and complete versions of IE. Espically in AOL 6.0

locustfurnace
06-02-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by yeti@May 8 2003, 08:09 AM
Now someone mentioned above about running 98 from a cd. Did that person mean like running the whole OS from the CD, like Knoppix? If such an animal exist, where can I get a copy?

Yes it can be done. i have not tried it as of yet.
but it has been done by others. the only problem with getting windows to run on a CD is that it likes to write things out when loading. i have a link on how to do it.
I dont have the link, but I did save the page.
which ofcourse Windows stripped the URL, so i cant tell where it came from and running a partial body into google doesnt turn anything up.
but part of it goes as such

"Regular backups often only offer a false feeling of security: After a system crash Windows frequently doesn't even start up anymore, and this puts the restore program out of reach, too. Therefore, a bootable and virus-proof Windows installation on CD ROM should really be found in every well-stocked emergency kit.

'To start Windows 95 or 98 in GUI mode, it must be installed on a writeable medium. You cannot start Windows from CD.' Similar statements have been published in various PC magazines, and c't has said it, too. The time has come to revise this statement.

The reason for this assumption lies in the fact that Windows spits out masses of error messages when unable to access the registry during startup. However, this is essentially only cosmetic: If you can live with it, Windows 9x can indeed be started from a CD ROM. This article will deal with how to eliminate the error messages and optimize CD ROM booting.

The advantages of starting Windows from CD sound like a list of things administrators and teachers, power users and normal users have always wanted. For one thing would there are the long file names: When there is no Windows running - be it because of a system crash or because of user thoughtlessness (format c:) - it is often very problematic to save long file names. Windows normally also needs to be up for extracting a file from a backup archive or an encoded file system. According to Murphy's Law, however, it is exactly after a system crash when there is no time for re-installing the system. In addition, a re-installation would possibly overwrite the very data you want to rescue. "

if there is any interest in this still, i can email the page.

- and running IE6 on win98se, not a problem. ran IE5.5, not a problem, but favorite browser is Galeon.

Therese
06-02-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by locustfurnace+Jun 2 2003, 08:58 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (locustfurnace @ Jun 2 2003, 08:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--yeti@May 8 2003, 08:09 AM
Now someone* mentioned above about running 98 from a cd.* Did that person mean like running the whole OS from the CD, like Knoppix?* If such an animal exist, where can I get a copy?

Yes it can be done. i have not tried it as of yet.
but it has been done by others. the only problem with getting windows to run on a CD is that it likes to write things out when loading. i have a link on how to do it.
I dont have the link, but I did save the page.
which ofcourse Windows stripped the URL, so i cant tell where it came from and running a partial body into google doesnt turn anything up.
but part of it goes as such

"Regular backups often only offer a false feeling of security: After a system crash Windows frequently doesn&#39;t even start up anymore, and this puts the restore program out of reach, too. Therefore, a bootable and virus-proof Windows installation on CD ROM should really be found in every well-stocked emergency kit.

&#39;To start Windows 95 or 98 in GUI mode, it must be installed on a writeable medium. You cannot start Windows from CD.&#39; Similar statements have been published in various PC magazines, and c&#39;t has said it, too. The time has come to revise this statement.

The reason for this assumption lies in the fact that Windows spits out masses of error messages when unable to access the registry during startup. However, this is essentially only cosmetic: If you can live with it, Windows 9x can indeed be started from a CD ROM. This article will deal with how to eliminate the error messages and optimize CD ROM booting.

The advantages of starting Windows from CD sound like a list of things administrators and teachers, power users and normal users have always wanted. For one thing would there are the long file names: When there is no Windows running - be it because of a system crash or because of user thoughtlessness (format c:) - it is often very problematic to save long file names. Windows normally also needs to be up for extracting a file from a backup archive or an encoded file system. According to Murphy&#39;s Law, however, it is exactly after a system crash when there is no time for re-installing the system. In addition, a re-installation would possibly overwrite the very data you want to rescue. "

if there is any interest in this still, i can email the page.

- and running IE6 on win98se, not a problem. ran IE5.5, not a problem, but favorite browser is Galeon.[/b][/quote]
Interesting.

I believe I have found the article you are referring to.

http://www.heise.de/ct/english/99/11/206/

locustfurnace
06-02-2003, 11:24 PM
Yes, that would be it.

I would give it a try, but there are many other more interesting OS&#39;s to use then windows. and I really dont see any great reason to do this for windows. other then just for a hard copy backup, of which I got handled with a program called Partimage.
otherwise I would have tried it, just for a good backup.
but since windows doesnt provide enough good networking tools, like SSH, NFS, Bootp, and others, by default. it would just be a - when I am absolutely bored, i would give it a whirl.
but for those who only use windows, it might be a very useful tool.

would be good for a windows tech, maybe.

CALM
06-03-2003, 08:24 AM
HA. I must be the only person who uses NETSCAPE. I LOVE it. I use the 4.0, 4.7 and 7.02. it is very stable for me on a W98 AMD 333 and the brand new Athlon 2800. ;)

The_Muffin_Man
06-06-2003, 12:45 PM
Dude, Netscape stinks. Get MoZilla. However, I still commend you for dumping IE. Too bad there is no way to uninstall the **** thing. Remove the files for it, and it automatically restores them (at least for my experiences)

locustfurnace
06-10-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by The_Muffin_Man@Jun 6 2003, 12:45 PM
Too bad there is no way to uninstall the **** thing. Remove the files for it, and it automatically restores them (at least for my experiences)
did you try Win98lite?
it will remove IE from your system.

peppycomputer
06-10-2003, 04:14 PM
:D Locustfurnace is correct, There is also a program that I have talked about called IEradicator that will remove IE and also help files that replace any important missing files.
98 lite (http://www.litepc.com) :D