PDA

View Full Version : Talking Ad In Aim

guest_Kat
02-28-2004, 12:16 AM
I've noticed that there seems to be an audio ad in my aim. It happens once in a while but is still annoying. When I try to sign off of aim my computer restarts. Is there anything I can do to get rid of this? :angry:

locustfurnace
02-28-2004, 12:25 AM
Try looking through the directory for AIM and remove all *.wav files, this may remove the annoying audio ad. Dont just delete them, move them to a seprate folder. you can play each one also, in another audio player, so you dont remove any audio files you wish to keep.
If the ad is being sent via the ad server, then you cant remove it, you may be able to block the ad from being sent into your computer.
By the way, there was absolutely NO need to post this same message in every single board. The others have been deleted.

Goslow
02-29-2004, 10:01 PM
[i]Originally posted by locustfurnace+Feb 28 2004, 01:25 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (locustfurnace @ Feb 28 2004, 01:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>... NO need to post this same message in every single board. ..[/b]kinda the same annoyance factor as those adds in AIM &#33;

<!--QuoteBegin-- @4149,1436726,00.asp]http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1436726,00.asp (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0[/i)
By Lance Ulanoff, Why AIM Will Eventually Fail (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1436726,00.asp)[/quote]I dont use aim but it doesnt sound very appealing even as free&#33; You could search the forum for other AIM threads to read other possible solutions.

03-08-2004, 04:05 PM
heres a hint...if you cant stop/remove it, just close your buddy list
it&#39;ll stop the talking AD..... B)

The Dude
03-15-2004, 10:41 AM
The best way to do this is by adding this line to your WINDOWS HOST FILE:

127.0.0.1 ar.atwola.com

This will block all ads in aim&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; and icq&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

The Dude :)

Broke as Hell
03-18-2004, 02:13 PM
So I&#39;m NOT the only one with this problem. I was wondering why I was hearing ads... :blink:

Muad'Dib
03-24-2004, 12:43 AM
dont use aim, use Trillian.

www.trillian.cc (http://www.trillian.cc)

myfriendwilly7
03-24-2004, 11:31 PM
NO dont remove all wav files or all the little sounds you hear when you send and receive msgs, sign on&#092;offs, and all that stuff will be gone. Its not even a wav file. Who would make an ad in the huge wav file format? Only dsl users could recieve it. More likely it is an OGG file or something like it, and i will also bet that it is deep in your temp file, not in the aim folder. locustfurnace, you are the forum leader right? <_<

locustfurnace
03-25-2004, 12:08 AM
I am the forum mod, and yes, it can be a wav file, wav files do not have to be 40megs files, rem there are many ways you can structure a wav, from 8bit, mono, 8000hz, it does not all have to be CD quality.
They wont be using Ogg since they never had in the past. and it would then require a ogg decoder installed on each system.
ICQ, which is also owned by AOL, uses wav files.
In the ICQ folder on my system, there are currently 34 wav files. Occupying a grand total of 407kbs.

myfriendwilly7
03-25-2004, 12:34 AM
Thats because windows has an integrated, quick wave player. But have you heard the ads? Theyre better than 8000hz 8 bit stuff. (And i have cool edit which lets me go lower than that-- i could make a 2000hz 4 bit file if i wanted, though arguably it would sound like crap). As an admaker, why not compress to a 8000hz 8 bit ogg file? Then it would be REALLY small.

and locustfurnace, just cuz i disagreed with you on one topic doesnt mean you have to search out every one of my posts and try to find something wrong with them. :blink:

By the way, the ad opens with the AIM DAILY thing. That runs under Internet Explorer, which has a build in mp3 decoder among other things. for example, go to www.sffclub.com . The homepage has an mp3 file embedded. Check the source file. And it plays without opening a separate window; aim ads are capable of the same.

"The Big Willy"

locustfurnace
03-25-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by myfriendwilly7+Mar 25 2004, 01:34 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (myfriendwilly7 @ Mar 25 2004, 01:34 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>As an admaker, why not compress to a 8000hz 8 bit ogg file? Then it would be REALLY small.[/b]

You would still have to make sure your target audience has a ogg decoder. All computers can handle wav formats. Not all have the ability to decode oggs.

Originally posted by -myfriendwilly7@Mar 25 2004, 01:34 AM
and locustfurnace, just cuz i disagreed with you on one topic doesnt mean you have to search out every one of my posts and try to find something wrong with them.
Who&#39;s searching them out?, they are upped to the top of the pile, and I check each new posting for content, making sure there is nothing which is in conflict with the site. And with your postings, I am just replying, so don&#39;t take offense. This is what I do. Some boards might be slow with replies, this one is not.

<!--QuoteBegin--myfriendwilly7@Mar 25 2004, 01:34 AM
That runs under Internet Explorer, which has a build in mp3 decoder among other things. [/quote]
If the ads open in IE, just tell IE not to play sounds.

myfriendwilly
03-25-2004, 12:48 AM
You could tell IE not to play sounds, but then you would miss all the other wanted sounds. Why would you do that? Just close the Aim Today box and if you really want to read it then reopen it.

>>You would still have to make sure your target audience has a ogg >>decoder. All computers can handle wav formats. Not all have the ability >>to decode oggs.

I believe i said it didnt have to be ogg. My point was that since IE allows you to embed mp3s, it could very well be an mp3. And i also said that it does that among other things, meaning if it had an ogg decoder (yes i know, it doesnt-- but i said it could be something LIKE ogg) then it could use it.

"The Big Willy"

locustfurnace
03-25-2004, 12:54 AM
Personally I disable all sounds, animation, flash, javascritping, ActiveX in any browser I use, from Konqueror, Galeon, Slim Browser. and I run text only browsers; Lynx & links, on my servers.
I dont find the loss of the sounds and the rest too great, since I am mostly interested in content. I dont think there has even been a sound I wanted to hear on a website.