PDA

View Full Version : Spyhunter

esrman
03-21-2004, 04:32 PM
Anyone know where i can get a copy of this old prog?

beanboy89
03-21-2004, 06:06 PM
Please read the Pinned topic, How to Request an App (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=1585) because it makes it easier to find the program you requested. Then make the nessary corrections to your post and reply in this thread.

What is this program, does it remove spyware?
If so, here (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=1405) is a list of some alternative programs compiled by locustfurnace.

esrman
03-21-2004, 11:06 PM
The website for the program is.
http://www.enigmasoftwaregroup.com/

Its a spyware finder program.

I`m looking for version 2.0.

Someone sent me a list of an ftp site that had a ton of old programs on it,but since my puter crashed,i couldn`t find it anymore.

I got smart and bought a usb drive for storage.

Thanks for all replies.

locustfurnace
03-21-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by esrman@Mar 22 2004, 12:06 AM
Its a spyware finder program.
I`m looking for version 2.0.

On the link you posted for the developer website, their Spyhunter current version number is, SpyHunter v1.5.81, So I am not sure what you mean by your looking for version 2.0?Even on this website, http://www.spyhunter.info/ it shows the version number as 1.5.81. The version numbers generally are in the fashion of Major(1), Minor(5), Revision(81). So unless your meaning a verison such as 1.2.0 or 0.2.0?, I dont understand you asking for a 2.0.0 release.

Also, why not use a free spyware removing program, such as the many listed in the pinned topic which beanboy89 has pointed out.

esrman
03-22-2004, 07:11 AM
Ok, I must have been told wrong.

The rason i wnat just that prog is that its the only one that finds all thats on my puter.

I have Spy detector that I purchased,but it doesn`t find as much as Spy Hunter.

Also,I`ve tried most of the progs on the pinned list and they don`t work as good as Spy Hunter.

I have ad-aware and Spybot too and they don`t find as much as Spy Hunter.

locustfurnace
03-22-2004, 07:33 AM
Using an older version of a spyware removing app is not that best choice either, since it will not have the current listing for new malware finds.
The old version would be a shareware apps; if found. You might want to just download the current shareware version.
How much spyware do you think your infected with? If your gettng that infected, maybe you should watch and make changes to your surfing habbits and on the apps you install.
You should be trying to prevent, not fix 'after the fact'.

the gaffer
03-22-2004, 07:50 AM
locustfurnace is absolutely spot on, have you ever heard of prevention is better than a cure ? you may be interested in this link http://www.privacy.fdepot.com/Spyware_Removers.asp shareware titles although there are a couple of free ones on the second page

guest_esrman
03-22-2004, 11:02 PM
I think I gave the wrong impression,that I was inundated with spyware!

Nothing could be further from the truth..

I was merely pointing out that the spyware I did find on my puter was not found by Spybot or Ad-aware..

Spy Detector found more than spybot and ad-aware.

I run spybot,ad-aware,Spydetector.

But spy hunter found what the others didn`t.

And,As I stated above,it wasn`t much,3 items

Now I wonder how long these were on my puter,since the rest of them couldn`t detect it.

And if there`s another program that will find even more.

I guess we`ll never know ,cuz new spyware comes out almost daily ,as do new viruses,so a really good prog,at the time,may be almost worthless after a few months.

My sister has had a windows 95 puter for abt 12 years or so ,and I went over to her house to install a new hard drive and asked her if she ever defragged it or scanned it with up-to-date spyware scanner or anti-virus.

She had no virus,but I used ad-aware and found 800+ spywares!

Needless to say,after deleteing them,her puter ran abt as fast as 95 can!

locustfurnace
03-23-2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by guest_esrman@Mar 23 2004, 12:02 AM
My sister has had a windows 95 puter for abt 12 years or so ,
;) Windows 95 is not 12 years old. It came out in 1994/5.
Preventing spyware should be the priority, you can severely limit your exposure to spyware by disabling components such as ActiveX.
Another simple way to avoid being infected is by NOT running Windows Internet Explorer. IE is one of the problems in the chain of infestation.
Use a browser which will not execute code, or run javscripting.
Use BHO blocking apps, use the older versions of RealPlayer - if you must use this app, which is a big player in foisting (fositware) users with unnecessary apps, I do not see why installing RealPlayer needs to install AOL, or winamp or any of that other stuff.
Make a backup of your registry, and keep it off the computer.

If you use spybot and it misses some spyware, that another app finds, mail a report to the developers of spybot or the others, this is the only way they can be informed.

Run a host blocking file to prevent possible installed spyware from 'phoning home', even if you have a thousand spyware apps installed. If you block its ability to phone home, you cripple it's ability to 'spy', which then makes the app just another space wasting file.

Check the startup menu, disable any apps that are listed that you did not install. Use the built in Windows tools - 'msconfig', to view what it set to load.

Prevent first, then remove what slipped by your attention.