PDA

View Full Version : Pc-cillin

chester_ting
03-27-2004, 10:33 PM
I had a free version of Pc-cillin anti-virus and i had to re-install windows and now its not free could you please find me a free version and post a few versions so i can choose one

Program Name: Trend micro Pc-cillin antivirus
Current version: ????
Desired versions: anything free
Description: anti-virus

locustfurnace
03-28-2004, 06:06 AM
Was this 'free' version one which came preloaded on your computer when it was new? If yes, then it was a bundled application, and not a freeware title.

chester_ting
03-29-2004, 12:52 AM
no, it was downloaded then when i formatted my pc it was forgotten :blink: it would be great if i could get it back

locustfurnace
03-29-2004, 03:43 AM
It would make it alot easier for me, and the others who search for files, if you atleast gave an idea of what version number your seeking. It makes it difficult to know what you want without one. As I have never used this app, so I do not know what would be a "free" version number range.
If I find any versions, I may find several variances, and I really do not have the time to install and test each one I find.
If you could add a version number in the ideal range this would help alot, by eliminating any finds which excede the range.

the gaffer
03-29-2004, 06:51 AM
i have never heard of pc cillin being freeware, i have seen it on a vast amount of machines as bundled software, , all i can find on searching is this link http://www.clearview.co.uk/trend_enquiry_form.htm which is a 30 day evaluation cd, you may be able to upgrade this online,but again this would not be free, there has been recently a number of free antivirus apps listed if you search the forum or you may find a copy on ebay.com. this lnik gives a download but does link back to trend micro so it will be the latest version which is shareware. http://www.snapfiles.com/get/pccillin.html

03-30-2004, 01:38 AM
ok then, sorry. thanks anyway

Gary Tait
04-13-2004, 02:16 PM
My understanding was that the bundled version is a limited time license
(something like 90 days). When my license ran out, I go AVG from www.grisoft.com

Very annoyed
07-21-2004, 06:09 AM
Hello,

I know im doing this wrong but i dont know where to post. Im not looking for software, but i might need it.

I was just installing PC-Cillin 2002 from a disk and halfway through the install it says "error..... pattern file" Or something like that. Then the whole installation exits, and my CD drive is gone, completely. Its not in my computer anymore and its just gone. this has happened before and i had 2 get a guy in here to fix it, its really starting to annoy me, is there any other ways to enable or re-install it? or just find out why the hell its dissapearing like this?

Please help! :( :( :( :( :(

Very annoyed
07-21-2004, 06:10 AM
Ok now this is just stupid. The CD is in their and it wont even eject so i can get the disk out, its just completely gone!!!! Ahhh man!!!

Squattail
07-21-2004, 06:22 AM
Hi,

I have Pc-Cillin 2002 on disk with serial and reg code and it installs fine but it the version is way out of date and i want to upgrade to one of the following using my reg code and serial so i dont have to re-pay

Pc-Cillin 2003 (whole years upgrade)

or

Pc-Cillin 2004 (dont know if it exists?)

or

Security Suite (latest version, Contains the whole package)

Can i download the trial version or registered version of one of them then put in the serial and reg code amd activate it from trial to full verison? Because i dont want to pay for it all over again. If anyone has any comments to help from experience or so can they please reply!

Thank you :ph34r:

07-21-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Squattail@Jul 21 2004, 06:22 AM
Hi,

I have Pc-Cillin 2002 on disk with serial and reg code and it installs fine but it the version is way out of date and i want to upgrade to one of the following using my reg code and serial so i dont have to re-pay.

Can i download the trial version or registered version of one of them then put in the serial and reg code amd activate it from trial to full verison? Because i dont want to pay for it all over again. If anyone has any comments to help from experience or so can they please reply!

Thank you :ph34r:
dont really understand your problem ? i run pc cillin 2000 and have no problems with it being out of date ? although i dont pay annually for the support option trend micro still allow me to update to the latest pattern files etc online at no cost, you will not be able to use a serial reg code from one version to another so forget that idea , if you want an antivirus without paying , use the search function or look through past postings as many av scanners are listed and many are freeware titles

07-21-2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Very annoyed@Jul 21 2004, 06:10 AM
Ok now this is just stupid. The CD is in their and it wont even eject so i can get the disk out, its just completely gone!!!! Ahhh man!!!

try rebooting your pc , if it doesnt come back then go, right click my computer select properties and look in device manager under cd rom drives to see if it is there , it has maybe been disabled if so re.enable it, it would of helped more if you had stated which os you are running etc , and always try and avoid starting an unnecessary thread if possible and yes this should of really been posted in the general section, but if the thread in programs about pc cillin was yours as well you may as well added it to that thread

Very annoyed
07-21-2004, 10:54 PM
try rebooting your pc

Done and it came out. Thanks

and always try and avoid starting an unnecessary thread if possible and yes this should of really been posted in the general section, but if the thread in programs about pc cillin was yours as well you may as well added it to that thread

I needed help on 2 different problems, but ill conclude it in just this thread.

Problem 1: The CD Rom drive is back there, as soon as i reboot, why does it disapear like that? and i have to reboot for it to show back up. Oh well, that problem is solved now.

Quoted by a Guest.

dont really understand your problem ?

I dont really have a problem. I just needed advice. So your using Pc-Cillin 2000? I use 2002 and want a newer version.

you will not be able to use a serial reg code from one version to another so forget that idea

Thats what im saying, why cant i do that? I have an out of date pc-cillin (2002) that like 2 years old! can i upgrade to 2003? If anyone can find the trial for 2003 could they post it here i would be very grateful

Very annoyed
07-21-2004, 10:56 PM
if you want an antivirus without paying

Thats the thing, i did pay. and i go pc-cillin 2002, i think i should of got a newer version, thats my problem :(

locustfurnace
07-21-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Very annoyed@Jul 21 2004, 10:54 PM

you will not be able to use a serial reg code from one version to another so forget that idea

Thats what im saying, why cant i do that? I have an out of date pc-cillin (2002) that like 2 years old! can i upgrade to 2003? If anyone can find the trial for 2003 could they post it here i would be very grateful
The license is determined by the developers. sometimes they don't feel your purchase of a year 2000 product qualifies you for receiving a FREE update to the latest product line. If they gave free licenses for the lifetime of a product, then they would not be able to continue making money.
Just switch to one of the freeware alternatives, such as those listed in the a/v thread.

If you just want to update the virus definitions, those usually are free.

Also note, Oldversion.com does not develop this product, if you have a question pertaining to the licensing policy of a product, then you should seek help on the developers site.

Very annoyed
07-21-2004, 11:45 PM
That sucks.

Whats the best freeware antivirus app?

Thanks for your help guys

07-22-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Very annoyed@Jul 21 2004, 11:45 PM
That sucks.

avg free edition is very popular get it from this link http://www.thefreesite.com/Free_Software/A...virus_freeware/ (http://www.thefreesite.com/Free_Software/Anti_virus_freeware/)

pun
07-22-2004, 12:37 PM
If you are going to direct to AVG Free don't you think you should have posted the link to AVGs main page? Lets face it, a lot of people don't read anything at a download link they just click download then complain that the supplied link doesn't work.

Also a warning to the downloader that they need a valid E-mail address concidering that AVG requires you to fill out a form and only after filling out the form do they E-mail you the download link for the AVG Free. Plus they will also send you the serial number to activate this program to your E-mail after you start the download. (I suspect this is an attempt to prevent remote hosting of their product.)

AVG Free download page Read it before clicking Next (http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5)

07-22-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by pun@Jul 22 2004, 12:37 PM
If you are going to direct to AVG Free don't you think you should have posted the link to AVGs main page? Lets face it, a lot of people don't read anything at a download link they just click download then complain that the supplied link doesn't work.

Also a warning to the downloader that they need a valid E-mail address concidering that AVG requires you to fill out a form and only after filling out the form do they E-mail you the download link for the AVG Free. Plus they will also send you the serial number to activate this program to your E-mail after you start the download. (I suspect this is an attempt to prevent remote hosting of their product.)

AVG Free download page Read it before clicking Next (http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5)
no i dont think i should of used the method that YOU think is best , the link i gave also gave the requestee the option of seeing some other av apps on the way to it which were on the same page.

pun
07-22-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Guest@Jul 22 2004, 03:13 PM

no i dont think i should of used the method that YOU think is best , the link i gave also gave the requestee the option of seeing some other av apps on the way to it which were on the same page.
Let's see now, you only recomend the AVG Free

The Free Norton anti-virus software you must Allow 6 to 8 weeks for delivery and live in the U.S. only.

Symantec virus protection is just a recrutement to get people to join Marketscore.

VCatch Basic is to protect your computer from receiving virus infected E-mails.

Free anti-virus CD Offer available for corporate end users only.

Free Online Virus Scanner you have to be on-line to scan for viruses. Some people have limited internet access and slow dial-ups.

SurfinGuard (Note: this program is no longer free, but a 30-day free trial is available). I'm sure Very annoyed asked for a freeware app.

The only other 1 worth concidering on that page was AntiVir Personal Edition (http://www.free-av.com)

But then it is easier to just post a link then to research to make sure what you are posting is remotely close to what the requestor asked for.

locustfurnace
07-22-2004, 06:47 PM
A/V Thread, with freeware and shareware.
Whats the best? That depends on what you think an app should be, I personally dont use A/V apps, but when i run them on client boxes, i prefer using either F-Prot, or ClamAV on a bootdisk.

http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...&st=0#entry4022 (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=1236&st=0#entry4022)

Very annoyed
07-22-2004, 08:40 PM
Thank you for your help guys!!!

I might stay with Pc-Cillin 2002! Because it is a Paid product and it isnt that out of date.

But then i might decide to go for another one.

These are the ones i have tryed and liked/disliked

avast! - Nup, I didnt like it, it was abit too configarable and just didnt work for me.

AVG - I used this a while back and it seemed cool, I am considering using this.

Kaspersky - Ive heard so many good things about this! and i wanna try it soo bad, ive tryed downloading the file from 3 different mirrors on the site and they all download but none work, :(

Antivir - Nup, I hated it.

That is about it that ive tested.

Thank you everyone!

pun
07-22-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Very annoyed@Jul 22 2004, 08:40 PM
Kaspersky - Ive heard so many good things about this! and i wanna try it soo bad, ive tryed downloading the file from 3 different mirrors on the site and they all download but none work, :(

Very annoyed ... I don't know why you're having trouble. I downloaded and tested the Anti virus programs from the links below. No problems downloading, installing or running any of the 3.

http://www.kaspersky.com/

15 days trial version

Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal 5.0 (English) 10.47 MB (Downloaded, Installed, Works) (ftp://downloads-us1.kaspersky-labs.com/trial/registered/2T17J48017F63KM1T941/kav5.0trial_personalen.exe)

1 month trial versions

Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Version 5.0.142 (English) 9.33 MB (Downloaded, Installed, Works) (ftp://downloads-us1.kaspersky-labs.com/products/release/english/homeuser/kavpersonal/kav5.0.142_personalen.exe)

Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Pro (English) 14.11 MB (Downloaded, Installed, Works) (ftp://downloads-us1.kaspersky-labs.com/products/release/english/homeuser/kavpersonalpro/kavperspro4.5.0.94eng.exe)

locustfurnace
07-23-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Very annoyed@Jul 22 2004, 08:40 PM
Are you referring to these links for Kaspersky?
http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...&st=0#entry5696 (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=1181&st=0#entry5696)

Very annoyed
07-23-2004, 03:55 AM
Thank you !!!!!!

It worked!!!!!!!

Too bad its not freeware, its a fantastic programme though

I would love to have NOD32!!!

But ive chosen Too stay with PC-Cillin 2002.. I did an automatic webupdate and it updated the Scanning engine and programme engine up too date. So ill stay with it.

Thank you for all your help with me!!! Im new and you helped!!!

IF anyone still wants to discuss antivirus or anything. Keep replying Ill be checking here often

07-23-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by pun+Jul 22 2004, 03:41 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (pun @ Jul 22 2004, 03:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Guest@Jul 22 2004, 03:13 PM

Let&#39;s see now, you only recomend the AVG Free

The Free Norton anti-virus software you must Allow 6 to 8 weeks for delivery and live in the U.S. only.

Symantec virus protection is just a recrutement to get people to join Marketscore.

VCatch Basic is to protect your computer from receiving virus infected E-mails.

Free anti-virus CD Offer available for corporate end users only.

Free Online Virus Scanner you have to be on-line to scan for viruses. Some people have limited internet access and slow dial-ups.

SurfinGuard (Note: this program is no longer free, but a 30-day free trial is available). I&#39;m sure Very annoyed asked for a freeware app.

The only other 1 worth concidering on that page was AntiVir Personal Edition (http://www.free-av.com)

But then it is easier to just post a link then to research to make sure what you are posting is remotely close to what the requestor asked for. [/b][/quote]
very very smart of you to point out such information , but that doesnt mean jack all really, if the requestee doesnt actually know exactly what they want then the more they read about such apps the better , in YOUR opinion only one thing on that page was worth recommending, perhaps you should yourself let others have an opinion on things without making smart comments and presuming your opinion is more important or more valid than anyone elses i see you have done this in other threads mainly on guest posts still i guess it ups your post count, go on mate you can get another here answering me

07-23-2004, 08:24 AM
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_desc...fid,2787,00.asp (http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,2787,00.asp) more av stuff shareware free stuff and demos

pun
07-23-2004, 07:20 PM
Guest TROLL

Where I went to school they taught us to read and write PLUS what words mean. I see that is no longer important in schools.

That sucks.

Looks like Very annoyed is asking "Whats the best freeware antivirus app?"

He didn&#39;t ask for the biggest list of AV Apps you could come up with for him to choose from.

avg free edition is very popular get it from this link

But did you have the conviction to stand by your recomdation? NO. Instead:

the link i gave also gave the requestee the option of seeing some other av apps on the way to it which were on the same page

And when I pointed out this to you, your little EGO was hurt.

When I rendered an opinion on the Apps on your link you responded with this:

that doesnt mean jack all really, if the requestee doesnt actually know exactly what they want then the more they read about such apps the better , in YOUR opinion only one thing on that page was worth recommending

So, are you so smart you can tell a good AV App from a bad one by reading a short description? Cause unless you&#39;ve ran a test on it then you&#39;ll never know how well it works.

The only other 1 worth concidering on that page was

"ONLY OTHER 1" I didn&#39;t say
only one thing on that page was worth recommending

I didn&#39;t disagree with your orginal recomdation.

see you have done this in other threads mainly on guest posts still i guess it ups your post count

I could care less about my post count. If it were re-set to Zero oh well. And if you are refering to me directing Guests to:

How To Request an App (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=1585)

or to do a search, or to NOT request serials and cracks then maybe you need to learn what this site is all about before posting again.

At least I don&#39;t hide behind a Guest id and do try to find programs for others. Nor do I get up in arms if someone doesn&#39;t like a link I posted.

I do appoligize to the other members for letting this "Guest" get to me. But if you are going to post some more "Guest", try READING and wait till UNDERSTANDING sinks in before posting.

Very annoyed
07-23-2004, 10:26 PM
Hehehehe

GO PUN&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

07-24-2004, 02:46 AM
ok PUN so you didnt like the link i posted , so what, i merely pointed out that you didnt have to pull down other members posts, i have myself found countless programs for both myself and others from just these kind of links, the original requestee did ask for freeware av apps nobody denied that but sooner or later someone will be reading through this thread who is maybe not after just a freeware title and may find the others of use ,so yes i think it is useful , as far as refering to me as a guest troll , think again m8 , you are the uptight one throwing your rattles out the pram , i merely made a point about something i noticed and as far as schools changing yes they have although i would imagine i perhaps left before you were born

Very annoyed
07-26-2004, 05:09 AM
Please dont turn this thread into a fight :(

Guest thank you :) I think you may of offended pun tho

---------------------------------------------------------------

Guess what everyone? After getting replies from you guys saying that the transfer wouldnt work and i should just stick with 2002.. I sent an e-mail directly too the trend micro people are they are sending me a complimentary free version of 2003 for being a loyal customer&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; How nice is that&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; No company would do that, just give out a 2003 verison&#33;&#33; Thats crazy&#33;&#33;&#33; OH well, im not complaining :lol: I thanked him so much and he asked for my address for postal&#33;

:D :D :D :D :D :D Lovely people these days&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

07-26-2004, 05:32 AM
very annoyed, thanks for your comments, i perhaps offended PUN but the idea was not to offend it was just making a valid point about my opinions, i value my opinions and think that PUN would understand this, i only made the last comment because PUN refered to me as a troll, which i am definitely not, if i have an opinion i voice my opinion as others should do, this is not fighting it is merely a difference of opinion, if i thought it was being turned into a fight or argument i would of totally ignored it and not bothered replying to him, so PUN if you read this i hope you see it as such and are not offended by it, if you are then i apologise

Happy
07-27-2004, 01:22 AM
I know what you mean :)

I am no longer "Very Anoyed" Because i&#39;m not annoyed, I&#39;m happpy&#33;

Im "Happy" :rolleyes:

If you dont know why look about 2 posts down B)