PDA

View Full Version : Wheres It Gone

the observer
04-05-2004, 11:03 AM
when i visit the site i no longer see the list at the bottom of the forums of who is actually logged in, ie active members and guests etc. its kinda annoying as its nice to know who is about, has it been disabled or is it my comp settings

Pete
04-05-2004, 11:29 AM
I can't see it either. I suspect it's been disabled.

This feature is probably intended as a tool for moderators anyway. To a normal member, it's just another privacy concern.

Jaime Andrés
04-05-2004, 12:38 PM
The board has changed to a 'Lite' version maybe. It's nice to see a board not cluttered up with avatars and signatures however the ''who's online'' was a useful feature.

igor
04-05-2004, 04:08 PM
I actually removed the feature thinking that no one actually used it. I did not realize that so many people enjoyed it. Do you all really want it back?

locustfurnace
04-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Its a good feature, it makes the board feel more 'friendly' with it, then without it, since you know someone else is also on the board, posting. Gives it that live feeling also. I've always used it. Without it, it feels deserted.

beanboy89
04-05-2004, 04:28 PM
Yeah, I also noticed it was missing. I often viewed the Online List.

the gaffer
04-05-2004, 05:30 PM
i must agree it was useful, i actually enjoyed knowing which members were browsing, i dont always try to answer problems when certain members are browsing, some are so fast by the time ive found the info its already been answered by someone else, but either way its still a great site and a great bunch of folk that submit their knowledge, perhaps one day ile sell this tortoise of a machine and get rid of dial up, but in my neck of the woods its the only option at the moment until that magic speed pipe turns up and 56k modems litter the streets in their hundreds. if the choice was mine id say bring back the feature,

pun
04-05-2004, 05:36 PM
I also use the list quite often. It's nice to know you're not alone on here. And nice to see who's visiting. But at the same time this isn't my place so I just figured it was wasting bandwidth that you needed elsewhere.

Jaime Andrés
04-06-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by igor@Apr 5 2004, 10:08 PM

Do you all really want it back?
I would take that as a ''Yes vote'' Igor :)

Goslow
04-07-2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Pete@ Apr 5 2004, 11:29 AM
This feature is probably intended as a tool for moderators anyway. To a normal member, it's just another privacy concern.Normal? but I agree ;)

Seeing who is logged on is only polite (easy enough to log anon if you want),but the online View Complete List is akin to spyware/eavesdropping and has no opt out, + it doesnt work very well anyway so I for one prefer to see it removed.

What I really see as a huge loss is the removal of the active topics tab.
Am I supposed to guess what topics have been added to ?

Do I have to open every forum (and threads) even if it hasnt been added to ?

All on a slow connex cmon give us a break :rolleyes:

BTW-- thanks but I dont need cookies I'm on a diet !

p.s. Another slow post as I see its all back: Thanks including the spyware ;(

the gaffer
04-07-2004, 02:17 AM
i see the feature in question has been put back and i acn once again see who is signed in.. many many thanks to admin and to the observer for starting this topic..

Pete
04-07-2004, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Goslow@Apr 7 2004, 12:35 AM
....What I really see as a huge loss is the removal of the active topics tab.....
Look near the top right of the page:
My Controls | 0 new messages | View New Posts | My Assistant Click on "View New Posts".

the gaffer
04-07-2004, 07:28 AM
you could also click on my assistant at the top of the page and click todays active topics ? is this the feature you are meaning ?

locustfurnace
04-07-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Goslow@Apr 7 2004, 12:35 AM

I have never used that active topic link, I just notice the change in OV button colors to indicate which boards have new threads. Very simple and fast.
When finished reading the board, just 'mark all posts as read', this will change the buttons to a dim or dull color.

beanboy89
04-07-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by locustfurnace+Apr 7 2004, 10:00 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (locustfurnace @ Apr 7 2004, 10:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Goslow@Apr 7 2004, 12:35 AM

I have never used that active topic link, I just notice the change in OV button colors to indicate which boards have new threads. Very simple and fast.
When finished reading the board, just &#39;mark all posts as read&#39;, this will change the buttons to a dim or dull color.[/b][/quote]
I have never noticed that active topic link. I just see what forums have the bright blue circle next to them, as locustfurnace stated. In later versions of Invision Power Board, you can click the circle next to the forum and it will mark that forum as read.

Jaime Andrés
04-08-2004, 06:50 PM
Some boards even send an e-mail to let you know of every new post....I couldn&#39;t be doing with that, it&#39;s like spamming...I&#39;ll just stick to the loudly coloured icon

Goslow
04-12-2004, 09:23 PM
Thanks guys
I see its different strokes for different folks

Time scale:

Originally posted by Pete+ Apr 7 2004, 06:55 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Pete @ Apr 7 2004, 06:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Look near the top right of the page:
My Controls | 0 new messages | View New Posts | My Assistant
Click on "View New Posts".[/b]Would require Logon which for me is not always convenient or possible (I may just be passing through & dont want to get all formal) and also requires loading even more pages.
---------------------------

Originally posted by -the gaffer@ Apr 7 2004, 07:28 AM
you could also click on my assistant at the top of the page and click todays active topics ? is this the feature you are meaning ?Would require Logon extra clicks extra pages.Probably same function but as that would require javascript.I couldnt be sure.No I mean the link near the bottom (no logon - no javascript no popups:) req&#39;)
The moderating team | Today&#39;s active topics (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?act=Search&CODE=getactive) | Today&#39;s top 10 posters | Overall top 10 posters
----------------------------

Originally posted by -locustfurnace@ Apr 7 2004, 09:00 AM
I have never used that active topic link- I just notice the change in OV button colors to indicate which boards have new threads. Very simple and fast.
When finished reading the board- just &#39;mark all posts as read&#39;- this will change the buttons to a dim or dull color.buttons BUTTONS:shudder: I rarely surf with those bandwidth hogging buttons.
-----------------------------

Originally posted by -beanboy89@ Apr 7 2004, 03:41 PM
I have never noticed that active topic link. I just see what forums have the bright blue circle next to them, as locustfurnace stated. In later versions of Invision Power Board- you can click the circle next to the forum and it will mark that forum as read.Yes new discoveries everyday.
<!--QuoteBegin--Jaime Andrés@ Apr 8 2004, 06:50 PM
Some boards even send an e-mail to let you know of every new post....I couldn&#39;t be doing with that, it&#39;s like spamming...[/quote]Tracking tpopics is available to members at O.V.com but as it is an opt in feature that is what it is a feature - not a problem.
As for the active topics the simple clickable/pasteable link will do me fine and if I click the wrong one I get to see how you guys have been racking up your post counts&#33; ;)

locustfurnace
04-12-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Goslow@Apr 12 2004, 09:23 PM
I get to see how you guys have been racking up your post counts&#33; ;)
You still have to commit content to get a post count, simply clicking and viewing a post wont add a post count.
Those bandwidth stealing buttons aren&#39;t. As they are only 1KB total. using a caching proxy and download once, store locally and always use the local copy.

Goslow
04-21-2004, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by locustfurnace @Apr 12 2004, 09:54 PM
download once, store locally and always use the local copy.Thanks I&#39;ll keep that in mind if I ever get the p back into pc but I guess it would still require either cookies or logon to work as for the moment I find it simple to use the no-graphics-download option in whatever browser - that saves bandwidth on whatever comp&#39; is currently in use.