PDA

View Full Version : Aim

The Dude
04-16-2004, 08:14 PM
The BEST version of aim is

Aim 5.5.3598ca (CANADIAN VERSION)

No games,no crap,etc.......(No viewpoint.exe,no wild tangent) JUST AIM!!!!

Download it HERE (http://ftp.newaol.com/aolcanada/AIM/en/caaim55.exe) :)

05-07-2004, 04:34 PM
yea wild tangent and weather bug are spyware/adware

SSS
05-20-2004, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by Guest@May 7 2004, 04:34 PM
weather bug are spyware/adware
WeatherBug is NOT spyware. WeatherBug does not monitor, collect data or 'spy' on its user base. WeatherBug is incapable of tracking your overall web use or deciphering anything on your hard drive. WeatherBug has no functionality to determine what you were doing/where you were surfing before you opened your WeatherBug program - or where you go after using the WeatherBug.

Goslow
05-24-2004, 04:33 AM
WeatherBug is adware,peoples definition of spyware vary and I can see from whence their reputation sprung.
here's a quote from an earlier versions install dialog:
Originally posted by WeatherBug install+--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WeatherBug install)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>By including Gator and its OfferCompanion Software with
Weatherbug, we&#39;re making your computer smarter&#33; [/b]
lol I guess customers didnt agree as judging by the sites latest privacy policy they have cleaned up their act considerably.
Yet still they leave me guessing<!--QuoteBegin--WeatherBug privacy policy
WeatherBug has no functionality to determine what you were doing/where you were surfing before you opened your WeatherBug program - or where you go after using the WeatherBug.[/quote]Yes, but what happens in between&#33;

crazyworld123
08-06-2004, 12:01 AM
Soooo outdated but I just wanted to say I love you. I&#39;ve looked over and over and over again for this "clean version of AIM" because I never decided to even look at the version number to commit it to memory if I wanted to but then it hit me that I read it here. After 30 mins of searching, I found it&#33;&#33;&#33; Thanks again..Later&#33;

The Dude
08-07-2004, 07:24 AM
Your welcome my friend :)

Enjoy&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

chester_ting
08-08-2004, 05:04 AM
Aim? Spyware?

eek, nasty things..

NYK
08-16-2004, 09:41 AM
Does AIM 3590 have tabbed IMs?

guest_Jeff
08-17-2004, 12:59 PM
Im using AIM 1.0, and no spyware/adware on my computer.

The Dude
08-27-2004, 04:04 AM
The dude that asked if aim had TABBED IMing,that would be interesting......

Not that i have seen it doesnt,its just seperate tabs...

locustfurnace
08-27-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by The Dude@Aug 27 2004, 04:04 AM
The dude that asked if aim had TABBED IMing,that would be interesting......

GAIM (http://gaim.sourceforge.net/downloads.php)
Has tabbed chatting.
A multi-protocol instant messaging (IM) client for Linux, BSD, MacOS X, and Windows. It is compatible with AIM (Oscar and TOC protocols), ICQ, MSN Messenger, Yahoo&#33;, IRC, Jabber, Gadu-Gadu, and Zephyr networks,

Tasty_Cat
09-13-2004, 04:43 PM
I made the mistake of downloading the new aim version 5.9.3690
It&#39;s like the new version of Yahoo IM, it doesn&#39;t allow you to customize it like you could. So, I&#39;m been looking for the lastest version before the change, but I&#39;m having trouble locating it, & I don&#39;t recall what prior version I had except that it was 5.5. Now, I know there was some sort of opening for hackers in the 5.5 version, & it was updated at some point, but I don&#39;t know which version is the one where that was taken care of, so I want to make sure I get the fixed one.
Now, here on the site, it says the Current Version - 5.5.3598, with the last available download being, AOL Instant Messenger 5.5.3595 (4.0 MB).
Well, that&#39;s now inaccurate since the new 5.9 version is out.
Elsewhere on another site, I found this location for old versions: ftp://ftp.newaol.com/aimgen/73010/
However, the latest is 5.5.3590 before it switches to 5.9, & I don&#39;t see a version 5.5.3598 there.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

the gaffer
09-13-2004, 05:43 PM
welcome to OV tasty cat, just a couple of pointers for ya , when posting always try to add to an existing thread of the same topic , that way it keeps all info on a subject linked together and not spread about all over the forum and making it harder for others to locate, also if you are seeking a version of a program which i believe you are, it would be more suited in the request section ,after doing a search as it may of been previously requested and fulfilled. i cannot answer your question personally as i do not use this app myself but im sure there are many that do who will help you out further

The Dude
09-15-2004, 07:37 AM
It would be interesting to find a secret version of aim out there that had EVERY OPTION on it,if peeps blocxked you,you could still see them,etc........Anyone no if ne thing like this exists?????

Rocket_pony22
09-19-2004, 06:10 PM
Just to let everyone know,
the newest version of AIM is horrible. DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT&#33; It makes is so that you can only choice aol AIM expressions [not ones random people on the internet have made which are much more cool] and it makes u pay for a lot of these "new features" if u want them. :angry: So stick with the old versions&#33;

Rocket_pony22

The Dude
09-21-2004, 12:21 PM
Yes,

The latest version of aim BLOWS CHUNKS!!!!!!! It IS terrible!!!!!!

Stick with 3598ca or lower!!!!!!!! (Read the 1st post on this thread to obtain a copy of 3598ca)

The Dude :)

Ocarina
09-21-2004, 05:38 PM
my friends and I prefer version 4.8, before they started adding all those evil and space consuming features.

09-21-2004, 11:45 PM
how do you remove the games thing at the botom and the ad at top. also how to stop aim today from poping up everytime you start it?

locustfurnace
09-22-2004, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Guest@Sep 21 2004, 11:45 PM
how do you remove the games thing at the botom and the ad at top. also how to stop aim today from poping up everytime you start it?
If running Windows9x, you can stop AOL from loading by either removing the start-up menu item, or using the msconfig utility to disable it from loading.
Click the Start->RUN type msconfig and select the startup tab. and uncheck AOL IMS item from loading.
As far as removing the ads, it would depend on which version you are running, and if there is a patch available.
Another choice is to just use an alternative chat client, such as GAIM. Which can be found on the thread Alternative Chat Clients (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=1395)

The Dude
09-22-2004, 12:36 PM
You can block the ads by simply adding this to your HOST FILE:

127.0.0.1 ar.atwola.com

No more ads&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Good Luck&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

09-23-2004, 11:42 PM
well umm.. i might sound dumb but how exactly do you add it to your host file?

locustfurnace
09-24-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Guest@Sep 23 2004, 11:42 PM
well umm.. i might sound dumb but how exactly do you add it to your host file?
Find the hosts file under C:&#092;windows (on win9x systems), if it is not there, then create a new file.
You can add the ip address given by the_dude by using a text editor on the mentioned file, and type in that line.

The same procedure can be used to block any ads from websites, or be used to speed up access to certain sites as well.

The Dude
09-24-2004, 04:55 PM
1) Open Notepad
2) Goto OPEN and browse to the windows directory.......
3) CHOOSE ALL FILE TYPES
4) Scroll thru until you find 1 that says "hosts" (Notice the lowecase h) (There are several host files,the one you want is either in windows or system32 if on XP)
5) Add this line to your host file: 127.0.0.1 ar.atwola.com

This makes your computer search YOUR COMPUTER for aim ads instead of the net resulting in NOTHING BEING DISPLAYED http://www.webhostingtalk.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif (Also works for ICQ)

Good Luck&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Dark Star
09-29-2004, 03:01 PM
Aim Ad hack (http://aftermath.dyndns.org:8888/~aimadhack/) is another option.

AIM Ad Hack is the only program that fully removes the ads and options you don&#39;t want in AIM instead of just hiding them. Thats why you may still get pop ups and audio ads in other AIM programs. Also AIM Ad Hack actually modifies AIM itself, it is not a program that loads every time along with AIM like deadaim and after you run AIM Ad Hack once it never needs to be run again until you upgrade to a new version of AIM.

Tim
10-04-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Dark Star@Sep 29 2004, 03:01 PM
Aim Ad hack (http://aftermath.dyndns.org:8888/~aimadhack/) is another option.

AIM Ad Hack is the only program that fully removes the ads and options you don&#39;t want in AIM instead of just hiding them. Thats why you may still get pop ups and audio ads in other AIM programs. Also AIM Ad Hack actually modifies AIM itself, it is not a program that loads every time along with AIM like deadaim and after you run AIM Ad Hack once it never needs to be run again until you upgrade to a new version of AIM.
Wow, AIM hack is really worth checking out, it makes the process so easy, so you can still use the latest version but not have to deal with all the crap that goes along with it.

Camus
10-12-2004, 05:27 AM
hello there, I&#39;m new to OV, and I am glad I found this place.

so, here comes my newbie question :P

Now, I downloaded AIM 3.5, I want to run it, but I dont know how to get past the "you are using an obsolete aim version" screen, what do I have to do?

The Dude
10-12-2004, 08:04 PM
Totally UNINSTALL AIM,run a reg cleaner such as REG SEEKER (http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm) (To clean up all un needed keys) Then re-install aim,you&#39;ll be good to go....

Good Luck :)

Camus
10-14-2004, 04:51 PM
ok...I&#39;m doing that right now, but what I dont get, is why that will work...I mean, I never installed aim on this PC (always used trillian/miranda in this one) so I dont see why a registry entry would keep me from running the AIM ver I want to run.

just in case I didnt explain myself well enough the first time, The problem I hav, is that when I have everything installed and I try to sign on the "you are running an obsolete version of aim" message appears.

locustfurnace
10-14-2004, 05:13 PM
A registry entry would cause a problem, IF, you had a later version installed and were trying to downgrade. So that should be be an issue in your situation.

Why do you want to run an older version by the way?
Have you considered using Gaim, its similar to Trillian (but without the cost).
http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

Camus
10-14-2004, 05:23 PM
well...no, I think it&#39;s something in the network that doesnt allow old versions, it must identify them someway.

how is it that some people here are using 1.0 and the like?

hm...tried the registry thing already, didnt work, I never had a newer version of aim installed.

the reason I want an old version is that I want to use miranda for all the other IMprogs, and I want an old AIM specifically to direct connect, since it never really works with progs like trillian or miranda.

I guess I could use a newer version, but I&#39;d like to use the smallest version that can Direct connect avaliable.

Jaime Andrés
10-14-2004, 05:47 PM
I don&#39;t know if it applies to installing old versions of AIM, but I have some old apps. that won&#39;t install unless the computer clock is wound back a few years :-/

locustfurnace
10-14-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Jaime Andrés@Oct 14 2004, 05:47 PM
I don&#39;t know if it applies to installing old versions of AIM, but I have some old apps. that won&#39;t install unless the computer clock is wound back a few years :-/
Chat communication software uses a &#39;Client&#39; and a &#39;Server&#39;. The server software which resides on AOL&#39;s boxes, can be changed easily to disallow certain clients from connecting. This is accomplished through a &#39;handshake&#39; by the software. It was be for the most part as simple as asking the client software which version is it, and IF it is < 3.8 then deny.

The Dude
10-16-2004, 11:56 AM
Im so sorry Camus I thought you had run a newer version of AIM and were trying to downgrade to a better version.... (MY WAY WOULD HAVE WORKED IF THAT WAZ THE CASE)

Good Luck 2 you regardless&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

The Dude :)

Camus
10-16-2004, 05:55 PM
ok..yeah dude, np, thanks for putting some time to helping me anyway =) I&#39;ll see if I can somehow email one of the guys who said they had an old ver.

locust....I imagined that would be the case...as you can see in my last post,I&#39;m no computer wiz though, so I really have no insight into how IMing actually works, although I did suppose Aol could ban certain versions from their server.

do you know how some of the guys who said they were using old versions here are logging on succesfully?

maybe they connect to a non-aol server? I really got no idea what it could posibly be...so if any of the guys who said they were using old vers see this, please help me =)

Spring Rubber
10-19-2004, 03:38 PM
I want to see for myself just how bad the new version of AIM is...

Would there be any problem with just installing it and leaving my old versions still installed?

I wouldn&#39;t see any problem, unless of course the new version alters certain files and/or automatically deletes all older versions.

The Dude
10-20-2004, 10:16 AM
Ya might be able to install it in a different folder and keep your currnt version (I have done this be4 for testing and stuff)

Good Luck&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

10-20-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Spring Rubber@Oct 19 2004, 03:38 PM
I want to see for myself just how bad the new version of AIM is...

Would there be any problem with just installing it and leaving my old versions still installed?

I wouldn&#39;t see any problem, unless of course the new version alters certain files and/or automatically deletes all older versions.
you could try the new version after creating a restore point on your computer and if it messes things up use the restore point to roll it back to, that is if you have system restore on your pc

sportsluvr2
11-04-2004, 10:18 AM
I had AIM on my former laptop w/ WIN98SE (it was in the AIM 4.x family- don&#39;t remeber exact version). Laptop&#39;s hardware crashed and I had to buy new laptop.

New laptop has XP Professional (with NIS 2004 Pro) and after reading from various sites how horrible AIM 5.9 is (lots of spyware and too jazzed up) I am not sure which AIM version to download.

I&#39;m debating b/t AIM 4.7 (NIS 2004 Pro supports versions 4.7 and above), 4.8, or 5.5.

My gut says I should download either 4.7 or 4.8 since they are less "jazzed" than 5.5.

Is AIM 4.8 the way to go??
How does 4.8 compare to 4.7 (I&#39;m assuming it&#39;s not a change in features but rather fixing a security issue?)?

How does 4.8 compare to 5.5? What are the pros and cons of 4.8 and 5.5 each respectively?
Thanks in adavance for your help&#33; :)

The Dude
11-05-2004, 12:09 AM
I would say aim 5.5.3590 is the best (Read my first post on this thread)

But if you want 1 client to handle all services (Aim,ICQ,Yahoo, Msn,IRC) then Im2 (http://www.im2.com) is for you.....

Secure,voice/video,etc...........

Only thing is,i havent figured out how to get it to connect to IRC propley (Not that i need it,i have MIRC for that)

Kliegl
12-15-2004, 01:30 AM
Was just wondering if anyone could tell me if there is an AIM version that still checks the central server for your buddy list, but doesn&#39;t have ads, or the "Today" window or anything else other than the buddy list, and file transfer capability.

Thanks.

DethLord
12-16-2004, 05:56 PM
I know that AIM 4.3 is the version that uses the centralized server. If you are using the AIM 3 series, then the list is stored on your computer.

sportsluvr2, The big difference between 4.8 and 5 series is that 4.8 requires 64MB ram and the 5 series requires 128 MB ram. The 5 series has problems with security and spyware/adware. I believe the 5 series had a problem with the link = a virus, not too sure, but friends told me about it. I forgot which version it was. Also I do not like the box in 5 series that pops up when the person is away or idle, etc. By the way, version 4.8 is the last version supported by Windows 95. If you need to conserve RAM or make your computer run faster, use 4.8. :) As for 4.7, I don&#39;t know the difference between that and 4.8.

Camus, you can use the older version of AIM. So far the versions that work are 1.6 or 1.7 (can&#39;t remember), 2.0, 2.1, and 3.0 for all I know. :) It&#39;s just that you can&#39;t use 3.5 b/c of that message you mentioned earlier. Version 3.5 is personally my favorite version. It had buddy icon, talk, the away message feature i liked, and had no ads, no spyware/adware, and for some reason can&#39;t find aim today. If anyone can get version 3.5 working, that would be great. :)

Currently I&#39;m using 3.0 and so far a pretty good version. 3.0 introduces the stock and news ticker but you can turn those off. Running versions anything higher than 4.8 is overkill for my laptop.

BTW my system specs are
366mhz celeron
192 MB PC-100 SDRAM
30GB HD
4MB Video, Sound Card
Running XP Home Service Pack 1

locustfurnace
12-16-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by DethLord@Dec 16 2004, 06:56 PM
4.8 requires 64MB ram and the 5 series requires 128 MB ram.
Thats got to be a mistake, a chat app requiring 128megs of RAM??? Let alone 64megs. That would be if you have XP, but a single small app , the program itself isn&#39;t even 128megs in filesize. Where does the other need for this grossly large amount of RAM come from?

I can understand VMware requiring large amounts of RAM, as it is a virtual machine and emulates alot of different areas. Plus a complete operating system is running inside the VM, so it depends on what the OS requires, but... a chat app&#33; If this is correct, then programmers at AOL need to learn how to program all over again. I&#39;ve seen webservers running on machines with 16megs of RAM. I can run a complete operating system in 4megs of RAM and less. I can fit a complete operating system on a single 1.44MB floppy disk.

Just because some machines might have hundreds of megabytes does not mean programs should suck it all in.

samantha
01-12-2005, 07:56 PM
okay i have version 5.9.3690 and it has a huge amount of annoying features. i managed to disable most of them but i still can&#39;t figure out how to get rid of the second aim window that pops up when aim starts (i don&#39;t know what it&#39;s called, right now it says "aim evening"). also, this program freezes all the time without explanation. i additionally hate the ads on top especially the ones that talk because they are scary. i think these may be what freezes my aim, since the ads freeze all the time too. i also suspect that the ads are the culprits that open up this other crazy window that i can&#39;t close and that just keeps making a terrible clicking sound, i think it&#39;s supposed to be a webpage but it is blank.

in short, i am very irritated by this program, but i have been putting up with it for so long that i have gotten used to its features (voice chat, games) and i&#39;d rather find some way to disable the rest of the stuff i don&#39;t like than download a different version without the extras that i love so dearly. please help me. i mainly want to get rid of the ads that i suspect freeze the aim and disable the aim popup window (i tried unclicking the "display AIM.com window at signon" but it still comes up).

oh yeah this is sort of unrelated but i hate internet explorer&#39;s constant popup ads so i deleted it from my computer and i set netscape as the default but still when i click on aim websites (like those in the help section etc, not the ones in ims) it comes up on internet explorer, which opens a window but doesn&#39;t actually display any info. can i fix this? and is there a way to can get rid of the crap but keep the good stuff, like maybe redownloading it and selectively not downloading certain features? i just want to be able to use this thing. thanks.

samantha

samantha
01-12-2005, 08:23 PM
oh yeah i forgot to say that i couldn&#39;t find any "host file" and that aim ad hack won&#39;t let me remove aim.com window while keeping aim games and it won&#39;t let me keep all the buttons i want.

samantha

Priya
01-14-2005, 04:11 PM
is there an old version of aim that allows you to talk to people while you&#39;re away like in the MAC version of Aim? If so what number is it? By the way I&#39;m using version AIM 5.2.3292 w/ DeadAim. DeadAim allows me to have everything I want: tabbed IM windows, no advertisements, logged conversations but I still can&#39;t talk and be away&#33; I know they have something like that in a new version of AIM, its called because invisible I think. You can like "close the eyes" of one buddy list and you&#39;re not there? I didnt like the new version though it was really bulky and deadim didnt work w/ it, so I removed it and installed the old one again.

Goslow
01-15-2005, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by samantha+Jan 12 2005, 09:23 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (samantha @ Jan 12 2005, 09:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>oh yeah i forgot to say that i couldn&#39;t find any "host file" and that aim ad hack won&#39;t let me remove aim.com window while keeping aim games and it won&#39;t let me keep all the buttons i want.
samantha[/b]Page 2 of this thread

Originally posted by -locustfurnace@Sep 24 2004, 12:03 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--Guest@Sep 23 2004, 11:42 PM
well umm.. i might sound dumb but how exactly do you add it to your host file? Find the hosts file under C:&#092;windows (on win9x systems), if it is not there, then create a new file.
You can add the ip address given by the_dude by using a text editor on the mentioned file, and type in that line.
The same procedure can be used to block any ads from websites, or be used to speed up access to certain sites as well.[/quote]
Windows 95/98/Me c:&#092;windows&#092;hosts

Windows NT/2000/XP Pro c:&#092;winnt&#092;system32&#092;drivers&#092;etc&#092;hosts

Windows XP Home c:&#092;windows&#092;system32&#092;drivers&#092;etc&#092;hosts

or look for one named Hosts.sam, use the find,files folders, feature in the start menu for Microsoft&#39;s Hosts example.
copy it to another folder or disc
open with notepad
edit it as you wish
save as filename "Hosts" with quotation marks
this will save it as a file without extention e.g. ,.txt,.exe
if you&#39;ve save the file as Hosts.txt just right click it and rename it
delete the .txt part.
copy your new Hosts file to one of the above locations.

search this forum for host or hosts for more info

Toasty
01-28-2005, 03:23 PM
Yea every old version of AIM that I download, says that the SIM service can&#39;t be reached at this time. Does anyone know what is wrong??

01-28-2005, 03:34 PM
AIM*****

not SIM sorry...

guest_The Dude 
02-01-2005, 11:35 AM
In my opinion,aim AIM 5.5.3590 (http://ftp.newaol.com/aimgen/73010/Install_AIM_5.5.3590.exe) is the very best&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; (It all goes to hell after 3590&#33;&#33;)

If your having troubles deciding which 2 install,get this one......

Collie
02-01-2005, 09:20 PM
I got fed up with AIM around 2 years ago I switched to Trillian and never went back.

03-04-2005, 01:15 PM
Okay, can someone please upload a mac compatible AIM so I can download it in my computer class?

Sorry for the bump :P, and sorry if this was already covered, but I don&#39;t notice one on the front page.

Can one of you please upload the latest mac compatible aim?

(damn school computers are macs -_-)

locustfurnace
03-04-2005, 06:47 PM
Sorry, this site only handle MS Windows binaries, there may be a link in the forum for a MAC AOL AIM version, but you will need to search it out.

03-04-2005, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Guest@Mar 4 2005, 02:15 PM
Okay, can someone please upload a mac compatible AIM so I can download it in my computer class?

Sorry for the bump :P, and sorry if this was already covered, but I don&#39;t notice one on the front page.

Can one of you please upload the latest mac compatible aim?

(damn school computers are macs -_-)
http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Internet-Util...Commander.shtml (http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Internet-Utilities/AIM-Commander.shtml)

Hayden
03-08-2005, 12:49 PM
yeah, so I&#39;m using a mac computer at school, and I&#39;d like a mac version of aim

any chance you could upload one of the older ones?

PS: this is an OS 9.2 :&#092;

straight talker
03-08-2005, 01:49 PM
sorry hayden this is a windows only forum ,but as i had noticed it before have a look at this page http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...messenger&st=45 (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=2328&hl=messenger&st=45) its the very last reply

The Dude
03-25-2005, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by straight talker@Mar 8 2005, 02:49 PM
sorry hayden this is a windows only forum ,but as i had noticed it before have a look at this page http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...messenger&st=45 (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=2328&hl=messenger&st=45) its the very last reply
You accidently linked to this same thread Straight Talker http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/2889/roflhh2.gif

locustfurnace
03-25-2005, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by The Dude@Mar 25 2005, 02:08 AM
You accidently linked to this same thread Straight Talker
No, that happens when threads are merged, due to posters not posting in the correct forum in the first place.
ST, linked to this thread, since the poster had created a new thread, once I merged that posters thread into this, ST&#39;s link just loops back to here. Not an error.

The Dude
03-27-2005, 02:07 AM
Ah,ok........

Merci Beaucoup for explaining it Locust :)

DanielE
03-30-2005, 11:32 PM
Well, I hate AIM 5.9, and I&#39;m trying to download an older version. I keep trying, each time I go older and older (I get go any older than 4.8 though) but everytime I download it, there&#39;s an error and I&#39;m taken to aim.com to download 5.9. I&#39;m using XP prof. if that helps at all.

Thanks alot.

guest_paul
04-25-2005, 10:51 PM
my deadaim wont install i think because i tried to install the brand new version but i didnt have a serial number so i uninstalled aim and deadaim then reinstalled both but deadaim still didnt work. is there some sort of file that i should delete so that deadaim can work cause this is pssing me off.

The Dude
04-26-2005, 07:44 AM
I dont think DEAD AIM will work with the latest build,i could be wrong but i dont think i am......

Are you looking 2 just block the annoying ads??? If so,please see my opening post on this thread on how 2 do that....... (Works quite well,no dead aim needed)

05-01-2005, 07:57 PM
How do you get rid of the actual popups?

The Dude
05-08-2005, 10:23 PM
Add "127.0.0.1 ar.atwola.com" to your host file.....

NO MORE ADS............

fromanchu
05-12-2005, 08:15 AM
what about if you just want to use deadaim, basically for cloning, what combo will allow this?
i tried 5.5aim...and 3.18deadiam but the dead aim isnt doing anything

Holy B
05-13-2005, 03:01 AM
I feel I must repeat what a couple here have already said.

Anyone here who uses Dead AIM or regular AIM (I have used both in the past), should at least TRY Gaim out,

After using it I will never go back to those other two (I have also tried Trillian, hated that POS), and I find it hard to imagine anyone not feeling the same once trying it.

Em
05-15-2005, 06:20 PM
um....ok I&#39;m sorry if I&#39;m repetitive of anything that someone has said in the past. This is my first time posting here and all I want is some help. I have AIM. I just downloaded this site&#39;s most recent version of dead AIM (mainly for the purpose of changing my buddies names. I have alot and I sometimes get them confused) Anyway I installed it with no problems and I restarted AIM. and frankly....I don&#39;t see a change. So what I&#39;m thinking is either I have no clue what I&#39;m supposed to do from there, (which is kinda true) or....it just plain didn&#39;t work. Which would really be kinda frustrating. Sooooo if anyone could help that would be really great. And before you tell me that I should try another messaging service....I don&#39;t want to. I have YM also and while AIM sometimes pisses me off, all my friends use it.

jake
05-26-2005, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Holy B@May 13 2005, 03:01 AM
I feel I must repeat what a couple here have already said.

Anyone here who uses Dead AIM or regular AIM (I have used both in the past), should at least TRY Gaim out,

After using it I will never go back to those other two (I have also tried Trillian, hated that POS), and I find it hard to imagine anyone not feeling the same once trying it.
Yeah, Gaim rocks&#33; -_-

A_nomad
05-05-2006, 12:33 PM
The Dude,

I installed 5.5.3590 from the link you gave, and...
it appears to have installed Wild Tangent and Weatherbug even though I deselected the boxes. Furthermore, my firewall caught AolAod.exe and GLB2A.tmp trying to connect to the internet as soon as the installation was complete.

Any idea what's going on?

The Dude
05-09-2006, 01:20 AM
Welcome ashore my friend :)

It doesnt install them,THIER FOLDERS ARE THERE BUT THEY ARE NOT INSTALLED!!