PDA

View Full Version : Yim (Yahoo Instant Messenger)

Rustbucket
05-28-2004, 05:40 AM
First off, one of my favorite sites, thanks for the old version of Real Jukebox before RealOne took over.

To my point, I d/l some of the older versions of YIM but none of them would connect. Don't know if Yahoo is not allowing this anymore or if it still detects remnants of the new messenger on my computer. This is my computer at work and it can't handle the new resource-hogging YIM. Made the mistake of trying it out and now there's no getting away from it.

05-28-2004, 01:36 PM
The oldest version of Yahoo messenger i found that would connect is the 5.5 (I'm still using it right now) I like it cause it saves your off-lines till you decide to delete them NOT deleting them when the box is closed. You can find the full install of Yahoo messenger 5.5 here:

http://www.zakie.fsnet.co.uk/ChatRoomsStuf...erdownloads.htm (http://www.zakie.fsnet.co.uk/ChatRoomsStuff/Help/messengerdownloads.htm)

I recomend the April 14th, 2003 link, the last of the 5.5s and the least bugged.

BEASTIEBOYS
06-15-2004, 03:42 PM
realone? isnt that the same company as real player? :blink:

locustfurnace
06-15-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by BEASTIEBOYS@Jun 15 2004, 03:42 PM
realone? isnt that the same company as real player? :blink:
Yes, Real Networks. Which gave you all those REAL software titles. such as RealPlayer, Real Encoder, RealJukebox, RealDownload, RealProducer, RealAudio, RealVideo, RealOne....
Then it was purchased by AOL Time Warner. Who owns it and packs it full of its own special spam.
AOL Time Warner=
Winamp
Netscape
Mapquest.com
MovieFone.com
DMOZ.org
REAL
Helix
CompuServe
??

Dano
06-26-2004, 05:06 PM
Just to chime in - since I came looking for an answer myself - but I also can't get YIM 4.1....... to connect. I suspect you're right - either they don't allow older versions below the version 5 locustfurnace suggested, or - it's detecting remnants of the newest one. I was stupid enough to upgrade. I'm on a Win98SE system with 128 megs and the new version bogs down so much my typing surpasses what shows on screen. It's no better than walkie-talkie communications at that rate. ; )

Oh well, I'll check back to see if anyone ever gets an older version to work nowadays. I'm partial to 4.1 myself.

-D

rodb2000
07-19-2004, 07:55 PM
yeah I got totally burnt by installing Y!IM 6.x uninstalling it and then trying 5.0 ... no connection .. I'll try the 5.6 link here (hope it's legit)

Dano
07-30-2004, 11:19 AM
FWIW... an update...

I finally got a response from the Yahoo IM folks. It seems that once THEIR system recognizes that you've upgraded you are stuck at that version (the upgrade). At least in that it applies to the version 6. So, it seems that any of us who had tried 6 and thought it sucked out loud are stuck - even purging our own systems wouldn't help - unless you want to create a new account/name - but that would dump your list of friends, etc.

If that wasn't enough, here's a kicker...

The Yahoo rep said that by about November (this year) they will not be support ANY version below the current one (version 6).

Now, I might not normally believe they could really control that - but I've had a lot of experience using Trillian and now Trillian Pro (so I don't have to use the Yahoo software). But, Yahoo has proven time and again that they're willing to overhaul their system to screw up Trillian users. It happens so often that Trillian users frequently have to go back to the company to get patches/updates to bring Trillian back up to speed with Yahoo. This only works until Yahoo farkles things again to throw Trillian users off.

I guess that's a sign that Trillian is a significant competition (threat?) to them.

So, I suspect that come November when Yahoo bails on previous versions of YIM a lot of us will be deciding if Yahoo is worth staying with for IM.

It'll also make previous version of the software here at this website (oldversion.com) worthless.

I'll bail on Yahoo and go ICQ or something. Varmints.

Hope this helps answer a few mystery questions some folks may have.

-Peace.
--Dano TheTShirtZone (http://www.TheTShirtZone.com)

locustfurnace
07-30-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Dano+Jul 30 2004, 11:19 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dano @ Jul 30 2004, 11:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>It seems that once THEIR system recognizes that you&#39;ve upgraded you are stuck at that version (the upgrade). ......
Now, I might not normally believe they could really control that ....[/b]

Sure they can, they code the software. There are two pieces of software used for chat apps, a client; thats the piece you download and run, and the server software; which allows you to conenct to yahoo&#39;s server and send messages. Its very simple to turn on or off a particular client support. For some it is as simple as a single IF statement line of code.
IF client<=5 &#092;disconnect. &#092;echo "sorry you must update"

Originally posted by Dano+Jul 30 2004, 11:19 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dano @ Jul 30 2004, 11:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> But, Yahoo has proven time and again that they&#39;re willing to overhaul their system to screw up Trillian users. It happens so often that Trillian users frequently have to go back to the company to get patches/updates to bring Trillian back up to speed with Yahoo. This only works until Yahoo farkles things again to throw Trillian users off.

I guess that&#39;s a sign that Trillian is a significant competition (threat?) to them.
[/b]
Thats really not the issue of Trillian being &#39;competition&#39;. It boils down to Yahoo is paying for the servers YIM connects to, building the whole chat structure and spending money on programmers. When people use trillian - which should really be FREE by the way, yahoo loses money. Trillian has spent no money into maintaining the YIM servers. Yahoo is footing the bill, and trillian is coming along, coding a program, gaining use of YIM&#39;s server, charging people to use the trillian code and basically profiting off yahoo with a much lower TCO.

If Yahoo sends ADS with each chat message, they earn money this way. Most 3rd party chat programs eliminate the ads. Which is great to the user, bad for the company that makes money on the ads. This is another reason Yahoo/MS/AOL blocks out other clients.

The reason Yahoo, AOL, MSN block out the other clients from using their servers is an issue of money, ofcourse.

<!--QuoteBegin--Dano@Jul 30 2004, 11:19 AM
It&#39;ll also make previous version of the software here at this website (oldversion.com) worthless.[/quote]
Not true at all. That is not the whole reason this site exists, to host "useable software", that debate on &#39;worthless&#39; software has been covered a few times. Its Historical reasons as well as hosting software that is hard to locate.

<!--QuoteBegin--ABout Oldversion.com@ http://www.oldversion.com/aboutov.php
Lastly, there is a need to archive cultural artifacts. If software is allowed to disappear into the past, a piece of our history will be lost. People must be have access to this data in order to understand the direction the computer industry and civilization as a whole is heading.
[/quote]

Dano
08-05-2004, 08:43 AM
Fine - you made fine points.

Don&#39;t get all bent out of shape by what I said. Nobody was debating the useful nature of this site. I think there&#39;s nothing wrong with the historical nature of this site as well - but I think a substantial amount of visitors wanting to know about software use for themselves isn&#39;t for historical reasons - they want to know why it didn&#39;t work (or won&#39;t work) on their system.

Perhaps I could have chosen a few words more carefuly - especially because I don&#39;t want to invalidate how helpful and yes - historically important - this site is. But - relax... not everyone comments with the idea in mind that someone is going to disect each sentence they type. I was "speaking" more casually - as if talking to buddies about a problem with one version of software - not commenting on financial logistics of a company or the validity of an entire website.

I think you need to come to Nacho Mamma&#39;s (great mexican food) and have a few beers with me while we talk about the good ol&#39; days of ICQ and DOS 6.2 : )

-Dano who stands corrected.

locustfurnace
08-05-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Dano@Aug 5 2004, 08:43 AM
Don&#39;t get all bent out of shape by what I said. ....
but I think a substantial amount of visitors wanting to know about software use for themselves isn&#39;t for historical reasons - they want to know why it didn&#39;t work (or won&#39;t work) on their system.

Perhaps I could have chosen a few words more carefuly - especially because I don&#39;t want to invalidate how helpful and yes - historically important - this site is. But - relax... not everyone comments with the idea in mind that someone is going to disect each sentence they type.
I was not getting &#39;bent out of shape&#39;, don&#39;t worry, I was just making a clear statement on why chat clients do not connect. Nothing to get bent out of shape over.
I think the statement i made also does cover the "why the client does not connect." That is the simple fact. nothing technical about it, or a way around it. If the servers block you, they block you.
This is why all 3rd party clients are always updating - to keep up with the changes to the server.

sonoma
09-04-2004, 05:13 AM
[COLOR=red]To get yahoo messenger 5.6 back.just go to the yahoo
messenger page....go to "HELP" then to "reinstall 5.6"
it will tell you step by step to install 5.6.
[COLOR=blue]As I hate the new yahoo messenger,it does not work well
with windows xp...and who needs to have a chat client with a built in radio?
which you need to buy the "premium stations" if you want to experience the
"best music"...like what ever&#33; want free music...turn on your home sterio its free:-)

seems once again yahoo should have left a good thing alone&#33;

debbie
09-10-2004, 11:04 AM
[B][I][FONT=Impact][FONT=Geneva][COLOR=purple][COLOR=red] :( I don&#39;t know what I did but PLEASE someone HELP I don&#39;t know what to do but I think I totally wiped out my Yahoo Messenger and I have no idea how to get it back.
Can someone Please HELP me with this?
Thank You
Debbie

pun
09-10-2004, 11:23 AM
If it&#39;s just a matter of you needing the older full install of yahoo messenger you can find it here: http://www.freecreed.com/ymsgr-archive.html (Also contains advice on removing the newer version Before installing the older versions,)

In the event that you did un-install your YIM incorrectly you might need to re-install the version you were using then uninstall it using the guide in the link shown.

Adam
09-20-2004, 11:34 AM
:( How come none of the older version yahoo messangers work? I&#39;ve read as much as I possibly can on this message board and have seen nothing to help me. Doesn&#39;t anybody know why the older version doesn&#39;t work for me on my new xp or does other people have problems also? I absolutely hate the new messanger, but looks like I have to keep it&#33; :blink:

locustfurnace
09-20-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Adam@Sep 20 2004, 11:34 AM
I&#39;ve read as much as I possibly can on this message board and have seen nothing to help me. Doesn&#39;t anybody know why the older version doesn&#39;t work for me
You posted in the wrong board. Thats most likely why you did not see this existing thread. Your message were merged into this one which should answer your question.

09-21-2004, 10:43 AM
The oldest version of YIM I&#39;ve gotten to work for me is the 5.5.0.1254.

I&#39;ve heard that Yahoo has written a script into their server that blocks older versions from connecting to their IM network.

Hope this helps

guest_Jessica
09-26-2004, 02:25 PM
I downloaded 5.5 of YIM. But everytime I log on, it asks me to if I want to update to the new version or not. I either have to click yes or no. It&#39;s quite annoying. How do I get rid of that?

SSS
09-26-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by guest_Jessica@Sep 26 2004, 02:25 PM
I downloaded 5.5 of YIM. But everytime I log on, it asks me to if I want to update to the new version or not. I either have to click yes or no. It&#39;s quite annoying. How do I get rid of that?
Go to C:&#092;Program Files&#092;Yahoo&#33;&#092;Messenger. Delete the yupdate.exe file.

Dark Star
09-27-2004, 06:52 PM
Yahoo versions prior to 5.0 do not allow for a successful login.

I tried logging in using Yahoo 4.1 and I got an error message from the Yahoo server. :unsure:

I ended up having to reinstall Yahoo 5.6 to get logged in.

09-28-2004, 08:31 AM
perhaps they do not connect, the purpose of preserving software is not just because it works or not , if all old software were to be laid to rest and forgotten there would be no way of people observing how software has progressed through versions and over a period of time, these older versions may be of great interest to people whether they are functional at the present time or not

Dark Star
09-29-2004, 05:13 AM
these older versions may be of great interest to people whether they are functional at the present time or not

I&#39;m not sure what prompted the tutorial about the "purpose of preserving software" since I DID NOT suggest that ANY "old software" should be "laid to rest"

10-01-2004, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by Dark Star@Sep 29 2004, 05:13 AM

these older versions may be of great interest to people whether they are functional at the present time or not

I&#39;m not sure what prompted the tutorial about the "purpose of preserving software" since I DID NOT suggest that ANY "old software" should be "laid to rest"
not aimed at being a tutorial my friend this has been noted on other occasions previously , i actually added it for other peoples benefit who may do a search before posting this point in the future to save them the trouble of adding it again in a new thread or perhaps wondering why they are archived when they do not connect.

Yvonne
10-06-2004, 11:38 AM
:P I went to Yahoo and downloaded the yahoo messenger version 5.6.0.1358. After downloading I kept on getting ads to upgrade. I went into my program files, clicked yahoo then went down to yahoo.update.exe deleted and got rid of the upgrade ad. I hope this will help someone.

Have a great day&#33; :D

aazzouz
11-05-2004, 06:19 PM
Hi,
I&#39;ve tried downloading all the old versions of yahoo messenger and I&#39;m unable to log in to any of them. Can someone please advise? Thanks&#33;

straight talker
11-06-2004, 02:24 AM
did you read this thread a few below yours http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...t=ST&f=5&t=3095 (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=3095) try searching all forums with the search feature there has been quite extensive coverage of yahoo and most likely your answer will be there

guest_Mark
11-15-2004, 07:27 AM
Can&#39;t run any OLD Yahoo Messenger programs&#33; Anyone have this same problem? It tries to sign on, then after moments says not-connected

guest_Mark
11-16-2004, 02:02 AM
Can someone tell me where I can look to find info. of WHY older versions of Yahoo Messenger DO NOT work?

It doesn&#39;t wanna connect&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

11-16-2004, 02:03 AM
Also, I posted something here 3 days ago and now it&#39;s gone.....???????

straight talker
11-16-2004, 03:31 AM
try using the search feature yahoo has been covered extensively and most likely your question has already been asked and answered . http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...t=ST&f=2&t=3095 (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=3095) is one of many threads and only a small way down the board.

locustfurnace
11-16-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Guest@Nov 16 2004, 03:03 AM
Also, I posted something here 3 days ago and now it&#39;s gone.....???????
Not gone, You just posted a new thread when your question should have been placed in the existing Yahoo thread, It was moved there (here).

One reason to register, You can find threads you posted incorrectly and which were moved.

jjester999
12-28-2004, 11:21 AM
hi i have just formated my hard drive and tryed puting yahoo messenger5.0 back on my puter it installs ok but i cant log in i install 5.6 andd thats fine has anybody else had this problem if so can anybody help. i really want 5.0. any help would be great

straight talker
12-28-2004, 05:48 PM
please use the search feature before posting to check if there is already an answer on the forum, in this case there is http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...95&hl=messenger (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=3095&hl=messenger) by doing so you get a much faster answer and it saves the moderator from having to merge threads to keep all info together and not spread all over making it harder for others to find,

01-17-2005, 12:17 AM
Hi I also was being constantly "nagged" to update from 5.6 then set my firewall to block YUPDATER.EXE and that cured the problem. :)

No woman No war
01-21-2005, 02:05 AM
I&#39;m working at a company that doesn&#39;t allow employees use Yahoo Messenger. I can&#39;t install Yahoo Messenger beacau I ca&#39;nt change Registry.

Help me please. I&#39;ve tried to download old version of YM or copy YM that already installed but nothing is possible.

straight talker
01-21-2005, 08:41 AM
if the company doesnt allow it you will be most likely risking your position in trying to do so, you are unable to install it most likely because you do not have administrator rights to install software, you would need the admin password to do this. although it is a different program this thread may be worth reading http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...istrator+rights (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=2833&hl=administrator+rights)
or this may be relevent
http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...yahoo+messenger (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=2461&hl=yahoo+messenger)

locustfurnace
01-21-2005, 10:14 AM
Probably the best way to resolve this issue would be to talk with your administrators on the policy. Explain to them why you feel being allowed to use Yahoo on company time will improve your work quality.
Do not try to go around company policy, as they then have grounds to dismiss you. Try to get them to change the policy.

soundtrk
03-14-2005, 11:43 AM
I installed an version 5.0 of Yahoo Messenger, but I can&#39;t connect with it. The status light seems to be stuck on "connecting" and after a while it just times out. Is yahoo responsible for this? Anyone else have this problem?

03-14-2005, 12:40 PM
as with many older version of messengers perhaps this version no longer connects im sure that versions prior to 5 do not connect anymore and yahoo have maybe now included v5 to be block so you have to upgrade

straight talker
03-14-2005, 04:01 PM
another thread that highlights the power of using the search feature on thew forums http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...95&hl=messenger (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=3095&hl=messenger) always do a search before posting and you may well get a faster answer as in this case.

guest_Andrew
03-20-2005, 12:44 PM
I just like this[B]old[B] version of yahoo messenger B)

Amanda
03-29-2005, 05:22 PM
I don&#39;t know if anyone else has tried to access the older version of yahoo (5.0), but it wont seem to connect for me.. neither will 4.1... Yet, the new version will.. Anybody know why? I can&#39;t stand the new version, so yeah.