PDA

View Full Version : Pctools Around Version 4

WarriorOfLight
12-10-2002, 02:35 PM
I've got PC Tools version 7 (1991), but it doesn't have the old utility "disk compare" that would check a copied diskette against the original using a binary or bit by bit comparison, showing what didn't get copied over sector by sector.
I believe the version that I used to have with this funtionality was around version 4. Any version from 3 to 6 might be worth trying out to find this utility, as nothing else I have found works the same.

It was originally made by Central Point Software

kbrenn
12-13-2002, 12:40 PM
I also have PCTools ver 7. It has the disk compare command listed under the Disk menu option in the PC DOS Shell. I don't have PCTools installed on my computer, but I have read the manual and it does list Disk Compare as being part of the DOS Shell.

Karl

WarriorOfLight
12-13-2002, 05:03 PM
I know that version 7 has a disk compare, but it isn't as thorough as the old version 4.
In version 4, if there was a non-dos sector on the diskette (copy protection :ph34r: ) it would give you the sector reference and then you could use a sector editor in manual mode (such as norton's diskedit) to look at/manipulate it. The version 7 doesn't work the same way, that's why I'm looking for the older one.

tman199
12-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Would you mind sharing pc tools version 7, please,
can you verify that it also contains the utility to encrypt and decrypt files?

Let me know if you need a trade or other software...if you need an exchange..
thank you.

tmelend199@yahoo.com

thanks
t