PDA

View Full Version : Aim

Rob
12-12-2002, 01:25 PM
I want to download an old version of AIM, but I NEED the following features:

Direct Connection
Get/Send File

Can somebody please help me find the oldest version that INCLUDES these features? Thanks.

Rob

lightsup55
12-12-2002, 01:39 PM
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=aim

We have versions from v5.0 to as old as v1.0.
Any where between v1.0 - v3.0 should have what you are looking for.

Rob
12-12-2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by lightsup55@Dec 12 2002, 02:39 PM
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=aim

We have versions from v5.0 to as old as v1.0.
Any where between v1.0 - v3.0 should have what you are looking for.
Naw...I know for a fact that they didn't have Direct Connection and Get/Send Files that early. Somebody knowledgable please help me out!!

Mike
12-19-2002, 11:18 PM
4.1 should be the one you're thinking of. Although most people seem to like 4.4beta. Woteva.

zack
12-21-2002, 11:31 PM
Anyone have versions prior to 1.0 ?

SSS
12-22-2002, 09:45 AM
Go to OldVersion.com (http://www.oldversion.com), and click on AOL Instant Messenger. Pick the version you want.

OldVersion.com Admin
12-22-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by SSS@Dec 22 2002, 10:45 AM
Go to OldVersion.com (http://www.oldversion.com), and click on AOL Instant Messenger. Pick the version you want.
Please read the question, as this is not what the user wanted. I'm sure anyone would know to go and click on AIM. Please refrain from making these type of posts. He wants to know which older version is compatible with file/send. I believe 4.2 was the earliest, but I am not sure.

SSS
12-22-2002, 01:04 PM
That was the answer for zack.

OldVersion.com Admin
12-22-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by SSS@Dec 22 2002, 02:04 PM
That was the answer for zack.
He said prior to 1.0. We don't have versions prior to 1.0. Please read the question and check the sources before you post the reply.

SSS
12-22-2002, 05:44 PM
Oh, but it had 1.0 on it.

OldVersion.com Admin
12-22-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by SSS@Dec 22 2002, 06:44 PM
Oh, but it had 1.0 on it.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=prior

prior = before

I'm sure he knows how to go to the homepage and click on AIM, so that response isn't exacly helpful.

SSS
12-22-2002, 06:39 PM
Oh, so you had no versions of AIM before 1.0.

OldVersion.com Admin
12-22-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by SSS@Dec 22 2002, 07:39 PM
Oh, so you had no versions of AIM before 1.0.
Um, yes. If you click on AIM you will there are no versions archived before 1.0.

zack
12-22-2002, 10:58 PM
I have been looking all over the internet, but can't find a pre 1.0 version. I know there were at least 3 pre 1.0 versions released to the public because I used it back then, just never bothered to save the data from my old computer. AIM used to have a feature where you could see the date when any screen name was registered. I wanted to see if it was still enabled on these versions. I think the server has it disabled now, but it was worth a try.

SSS
12-23-2002, 12:54 PM
Do you know what the versions are?

Davo
01-06-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by zack@Dec 22 2002, 11:58 PM
I have been looking all over the internet, but can't find a pre 1.0 version. I know there were at least 3 pre 1.0 versions released to the public because I used it back then, just never bothered to save the data from my old computer. AIM used to have a feature where you could see the date when any screen name was registered. I wanted to see if it was still enabled on these versions. I think the server has it disabled now, but it was worth a try.
i know that 1.0 has the date registered feature, though i cant really remember if it was still accurate. my mind is torn between it either showing the date they registered or when they signed on. guess youll just have to find out for yourself.

Guest 2-3-03
02-03-2003, 09:39 PM
B) A shift in the topic question:

Since the topic is what version of AIM has what, I am wondering which older version of AIM would be the least intrusive from the POV of being tracked by AOL, as I am aware this is the case now.

1. In other words what older version has the most privacy and yet will accomplish the twin tasks of allowing multiple windows and file sharing, without all the hoopla and add-ons or plug-ins to make it whiz bangy.

2. What older version will simply allow multiple conversations and be stable.

3. This question is in reference to running either WinXP or WinME

This is my first visit, and am not used to on web discussion forums. So if this post is in the wrong area, please advise

Thanks for any advice

B) First time Guest

Roll
02-04-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Rob@Dec 12 2002, 02:25 PM
I want to download an old version of AIM, but I NEED the following features:

Direct Connection
Get/Send File

Can somebody please help me find the oldest version that INCLUDES these features? Thanks.

Rob
There was a very early version, around the 1.5 era, that had these features. It was never released to the public. It was called the "Administrator" version. I had it on CD somewhere, but I've no idea where that CD is.

Similarly, I have a special version of AOL that was never released to the public, but isn't blocked like most betas are. It's called "AOL NetConnect" and is AOL without any of the usual features. All it does is connect you to their service. No extra junk.

DrunkenIrish
02-26-2003, 06:54 PM
again, switch in topix,

anyone know what's the oldest (read: smallest and fastest) version that had file sharing and logs your buddy list on for you? All of the early versions have me, alone, in my buddy list, whereas newer versions seem to grab it from some server or something.

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

igor
02-28-2003, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by DrunkenIrish@Feb 26 2003, 07:54 PM
All of the early versions have me, alone, in my buddy list, whereas newer versions seem to grab it from some server or something.
The newer versions keep your buddy list on the central AOL server. This was not the case before. AOL was trying to save bandwidth and disk space before, but then they probably received too many complaints from people who wanted to use AIM on multiple computers.

I believe AIM 4.7 is the earliest version that gets your buddy list from the server. If you still want to use an old version, there is a simple trick you can use. Just get a recent version and save you buddy list to a file (go to My AIM and then Save Buddy List). Then, you can load the buddy list using an old version. The only problem with that is adding new buddies, since whatever you do with your buddy using an old version will not be saved on the server, so saving the buddy list manually is the only way to save the changes.

I hope this helps to clear up the issue at least a little.

- Igor

Pulse
03-06-2003, 03:35 PM
there is no use for versions of aim below 1.0 there is alot of different vers other then what are on the site

lifeover.com
03-14-2003, 03:27 PM
edit: no such luck. sorry i took so long.