PDA

View Full Version : Xp Home Service Pack

Tomb
07-02-2004, 08:32 AM
Program Name: XP Service Pack
Current version: 1.a
Desired versions: 1.0
Description: Bug Fixes for XP Operating System

Does anyone know of any download locations for the 1.0 version which included Microsoft Java machine. I have downloaded SP1 1.a twice from MS and they have both been corrupted! Lucky I have a fast connection.
I am reinstalling XP for my nephew and want to patch it before returning the PC to them!

Thanks.

07-02-2004, 03:32 PM
Other than the MS Java VM missing (which I wouldn't consider a corruption), how are they corrupted?

locustfurnace
07-02-2004, 07:55 PM
You can this link; untested.
Windows XP Service Pack 1 (ftp://ftp.sci-nnov.ru/pub/windows/winxp/xpsp1_en_x86.exe) 133megs
Couple more backup links
Windows XP Service Pack 1 (ftp://ftp.klondike.ru/pub/OS_Update/WINDOWS/XP_upd/xpsp1_en_x86.exe) 133megs
Windows XP Service Pack 1 (ftp://ftp.eesnet.ru/windows/winxp/xpsp1_en_x86.exe) 133megs
Windows XP Service Pack 1 (ftp://ftp.adm.com.ua/pub/sys/SP/XP-SP1/en/xpsp1_en_x86.exe) 133megs

Tomb
07-03-2004, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by Guest@Jul 2 2004, 03:32 PM
Other than the MS Java VM missing (which I wouldn't consider a corruption), how are they corrupted?
Whilst the files was being uncompressed the error message was that file is corrupted and download again. It would be nice in MS had MD5 checksums with their large downloads. Lucky I didn't try the XP SP2 RC2 links!!!

Thanks Locustfurnace for the links.

Jaime Andrés
07-04-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Tomb@Jul 3 2004, 09:57 AM
Lucky I didn't try the XP SP2 RC2

I agree. I downloaded SP2 RC2 and installed it to my laptop PC. After a couple of hours I uninstalled it.
This service patch seems to be directed at total computer illiterates. Firstly my laptop which usually flies with 1GHz RAM and a mobile P4 processor, turned to sludge. Persistent nagging to check firewalls and AV were so obtrusive to become infuriating. The new wireless networking wizard I found to be absolutely pathetic.
I have now un-installed this update and have gone back to just SP1 and the blaster and sasser patches.

mrspayne797
07-07-2004, 11:41 AM
Please help. I had an old AST Adventure 410 given to me. Its in excellent condition but I need somekind of software to recover or reformat the harddrive. Plus, any info on this machine would be very helpful.
Also, Im looking for a download of Win XP Home. If anyone can help. Id truly appreciate it. Thank ;) <_< <_< <_< ;) ;) ;) <_< ;)

locustfurnace
07-07-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by mrspayne797+Jul 7 2004, 11:41 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mrspayne797 @ Jul 7 2004, 11:41 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Also, Im looking for a download of Win XP Home. If anyone can help. Id truly appreciate it. Thank [/b]

Originally posted by -FAQS@ http://www.oldversion.com/faq.php
Why do you only have freeware and shareware?
This is not a "warez" site. We are able to legally distribute only freeware and shareware, since they are free.

<!--QuoteBegin--mrspayne797@Jul 7 2004, 11:41 AM
Please help. I had an old AST Adventure 410 given to me. Its in excellent condition but I need somekind of software to recover or reformat the harddrive. Plus, any info on this machine would be very helpful.[/quote]
Without knowing the specs of the machine, how would you know if XP could even be installed on it?
You need to know alittle more about the machine before you can begin to install any OS on it.
You can reformat the hard drive with a Win9x boot disk, using the command Format C:.
This only formats the drive, it does nothing else. Formatting is not installing an OS, it is preparing the filesystem for the OS.
FDISK will partition the hard drive.
Use both if necessary, FDISK then Format the drive, then install the OS.

If you want XP Home for the machine - that is assuming the machine meets the requirements, then purchase a copy of it, look on recycledsoftware.com, or ebay.com
If you want a FREE OS, try FreeDOS,

07-08-2004, 12:18 AM
I dont want the XP for the AST. I have another PC given to me with XP home on it but it needs to be reinstalled. and I didnt get the cd with my new PC. I just wondered if i could find it so i wouldnt have to buy one for a repair like this, when, in the long run, I may not be able to get the PC up and running at all.

But as far as the suggestions on the formatting, thanks, Ill try that. It would just be much simpler with the software....I always prefer to try doing things the easy way first. Process of elimination, ya know.

07-08-2004, 12:20 AM
OH, and I downloaded AIDA 32 and ran it on the AST. That told me everything about it. Thanks :o

locustfurnace
07-08-2004, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Guest+Jul 8 2004, 12:18 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guest @ Jul 8 2004, 12:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I just wondered if i could find it so i wouldnt have to buy one for a repair like this, when, in the long run, I may not be able to get the PC up and running at all.[/b]
Alot of PC&#39;s sold from OEM&#39;s such as Compaq, Dell, Gateway..etc. Are no longer including a full version of the OS. They are using modified versions which do system checks to ensure that the copy is ONLY installed on the PC it was designed for. This keeps costs down, and in a small way helps eliminate software piracy.
BUT, it causes more problems when people need to reinstall the OS. When the recovery CD&#39;s are first built, they include alot of software, to entice the buyer to buying the PC.
After a while, the user removes unnecessary baggage.
When they go to reinstall the system sometime later, they are once again, bombarded with all that junk software, which by then is outdated.
The best way when buying a PC, is to build one yourself, and this ensures you will get FULL &#39;Verion&#39; hardware, and not that skimped OEM hardware. Plus it also ensures you have a full working OS, if your still using Windows, then you now have a full version of the software - but this is not the cheapest way to purchase the software.
Atleast you then are better equipped when problems arise in the future with the OS, which is a guarantee you will need to reinstall the system; if the OS is Windows.
Since alot of the solutions to fixing problems on Windows, is to reinstall, which really does not solve the problem, just creates more work.

<!--QuoteBegin--Guest@Jul 8 2004, 12:18 AM
But as far as the suggestions on the formatting, thanks, Ill try that. It would just be much simpler with the software....I always prefer to try doing things the easy way first. Process of elimination, ya know.[/quote]
It is software, and this is software most reinstallation routines use, you just don&#39;t see it any longer. As it is buried under billards.

weAponX
07-08-2004, 10:24 PM
Alot of PC&#39;s sold from OEM&#39;s such as Compaq, Dell, Gateway..etc. Are no longer including a full version of the OS. They are using modified versions which do system checks to ensure that the copy is ONLY installed on the PC it was designed for. This keeps costs down, and in a small way helps eliminate software piracy.

Actually, the major "Ibm" computer manufacturers have been doing this for some time- Especially Gateway and Dell. When I am working on a PC and the OS turns out to be corrupt, like this VM problem originally described in this post... I check out the rest of the functions, and if the machine is not too bad off, I&#39;ll simply boot up in Safe Mode (Without networking) and I update to windows XP Pro Corp, that I take off a CD that has 6 versions of XP on it.

XP Pro Corp has the stuff that is missing from the Home Edition, and it does not have that activation crud on it. Usually, after the upgrade, everything works as normal... And so I just do Windows Update and get the critical Updates.

Sometimes, though, I have a machine that is very hosed: And normnally these are Home Edition versions, and the computers, are DELL or Gateway, and all they have is a "recovery CD" - and this wipes the hard drive and re-installs what was there when the machine was new.

Well, tough luck if you want to save any documents, or any other work you have been doing...

So what I do is that I make sure I know exactly what version of Windows XP is on the machine, and I use the appropriate Install CD... If you boot up off the CD, and start the setup procedure, and AFTER you press F8 the installer searches for previous installations: It usually finds the installation, and then you just do ahead with "repair this installation of XP"

And so far this has been working very well... I have done it about 100 times and out of that, maybe 3 times the install was so messed up that I had to back up and reformat the hard drive.

So, I would say, go with Windows XP Pro or Corp, if you can find it for a reasonable price- I don&#39;t know what MS thinks of me buying used XP cd&#39;s, but that is where I got all my OS installers.

I don&#39;t know what the solution is: I work on machines that have anything from Windows 3.11 to Windows Server 2003 installed, and I have to be able to operate on these systems.

Anyway: Here are a few links to Microsoft VM:

(Untested)

http://www.download.support.safetec.net/ms...86/msjavx86.exe (http://www.download.support.safetec.net/msjavx86/msjavx86.exe) (right click and save as, do NOT run&#33;)

here are a bunch:

http://www.filesearching.com/cgi-bin/s?q=m...sjavx86.exe&t=f (http://www.filesearching.com/cgi-bin/s?q=msjavx86.exe&t=f)

Here is a page that has some instructions for restporing the VM:

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA012735/vm_en.html

Here is a brazilian page:

http://ftp.unb.br/pub/windows/virtual_machine3805/

if you just paste the filename: "msjavx86.exe" into google, you will find a whole stewpot of MS VM installers