PDA

View Full Version : Is Oldversion.com Legal

Pruis
07-11-2004, 10:23 AM
Hello,

I've a question about this site. I don't know if it is legal to offer software as Nero Burning Rom. Normally you've to pay for such software.
I've build a website for people who have computerproblems and maybe I want to make a downloadlink to this site. So I need to know if it is legal to offer software as Nero.

Tnx. :)

PS. I'm sorry for my bad English ;)

OldVersion.com Admin
07-11-2004, 11:00 AM
It's not the full version of Nero that you are seeing, it is the demo.

Yes, it's legal.

Jaime Andrés
07-11-2004, 11:54 AM
Ablix is Admin.
But from just a normal member, you will not find a more ''squeaky clean'' site anywhere on the www
Your proposed web-site would be enriched by recommending oldversion.com

Pete
07-11-2004, 01:43 PM
As far as I can tell, everything offered at Oldversion.com is either free or a demo/trial version.

If you can show that they're inadvertently offering anything illegal, let the owners know. If you're right, they'll probably remove it.

me
07-11-2004, 02:01 PM
hello buddy, go for it , this place is as clean as a whistle, doesnt condone piracy or the use of warez or the like, the programs here are merely archived older versions of programs to preserve them, any thing illegal in the forums is removed virtually instantly, if you read through the forums and stuff you will realise what a great site this is and has a great bunch of members and visitors alike, ive been reading here for ages and find it great for pc problems and software, 100% legal this site only offers freeware and shareware titles and demo software, ps let us have your web address so that we can check out your site

Illegal Concepts
10-11-2004, 03:36 AM
Yeah, this site is special, no Illegals. however what I understand is only if you host Illegal files you can get in trouble, as there are sites that just offer links and torrent trackers that have been around forever, Suprnova radio comes to mind.

straight talker
10-11-2004, 09:13 AM
i would think that offering links to illegal content would also be illegal , hence the reason that ov does not have links to warez sites posted on the forum if any occur they are swiftly removed.

Illegal Concepts
10-11-2004, 01:48 PM
nonsense, just look at Suprnova, they don't host the files, they just track them. Thus look at warez.net, hey the RIAA SPA knows about them, but their still in buisness.

i would think that offering links to illegal content would also be illegal
Then GOOGLE would be Illegal. :huh:

locustfurnace
10-11-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Illegal Concepts@Oct 11 2004, 01:48 PM
nonsense, just look at Suprnova, they don't host the files, they just track them.
Hosting links to illegal content is illegal, Check the DMCA.
Referring to the actions of others is not a way to run a site. Maybe those sites are still alive because they are located outside of the USA.
Oldversion is bound by the laws of the US.

Google receives hundreds of C&D's daily. Google is responsible and liable for links to content which violates the DMCA.

Illegal Concepts
10-12-2004, 03:06 AM
very well could be.

That is sneaky on the Movie Industry!

DragonSix
11-08-2004, 06:41 PM
Most companies have distrbution policy to disallow others to host the software on other sites. Just wonder these companies gave permission to OldVersion to host their files. I am not here to challenge OldVersion. I am just curious.

pun
03-08-2005, 02:47 AM
Old Version has recieved a C&D order from Sharman over hosting Kazaa which they respected. See Oldversion vs Sharman Networks (http://www.oldversion.com/sharman.php) OV stopped hosting and providing links to Kazaa and Kazaa lite programs.

Also see Itunes Removed (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=3466)

Other's have given permission to host links but requested that OV NOT host the program itself on this site.

Macromedia Permission (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=242)

So, if it turns out that the company owning the program objects to it being hosted here and contacts the site owners, it will be dealt with.

Micheal Jackson
06-04-2005, 11:00 PM
A link to edited: removed link ~locustfurnace would be nice.

Imagine that, doing what were doing, with that special link, hehe. :ph34r: