PDA

View Full Version : Musicmatch Jukebox

Thracken
09-18-2003, 09:27 PM
I need to get Media Match Jukebox and Real Player for Windows 95. What versions are compatible with it? Gracias to all who tell me.

Dookie
09-19-2003, 11:21 PM
Real Media do offer historical versions of the codec player

http://forms.real.com/real/player/blackjack.html

I dont know of Media Match .. do you mean Music Match perhaps ?

There are plenty of good free jukebox players out there.
As I dont run 95 I cant realy help on MediaMatch.

guest_guest
08-09-2004, 03:56 AM
upgraded from 8.2 to the new 9.0. Now the "Convert files" feature is very, very slow. Have it on a P4 1.5mzh with 512megs ram. Tried to convert 10 mp3's that were encoded @ 256 down to 128. 30 mins later it was still trying to decode them down to 128. Fired onld 8.2 up on a 800mhz P3 with 128megs of ram... 10mins later all 10 mp3's re-coded from 256 to 128. Avoid MMJB 9.

08-11-2004, 01:08 PM
proof that NEWER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER

guest_guest
08-11-2004, 03:42 PM
Yeah, I have Windows ME and when I tried to download new skins it froze my computer every time. Luckily, there's oldversion.com with good ol' version 6.1 (the last one before it got really slow?).

You know, I may have a pre-version 5 version somewhere... Maybe I can donate it.

DC
08-11-2004, 03:47 PM
Hey, since there's this big deal with the new Musicmatch and I've decided to downgrade, which is the best version?

Right now I'm using 6.1 because it was before everything got really slow but after it did secondary sorting of my library (sort based on genre but sort within that by track title, for example). Unfortunately, I don't think it has automatic album art lookup and I'm sure it is missing other things. Is there a different one I should be using?

(Or maybe there's another way to get ahold of the album art without upgrading...)

Anyway, what's your opinion?

08-13-2004, 01:40 PM
Good Question DC ...

I don't really have an answer to your question because that's why I'm in here too.

I originally had ver. 4.0, I upgraded to ver. 7.50 and began using it at that time and before I knew it I had myself upgraded to ver. 8.20, that's when I realized that I had much more than I wanted or needed... I think the word is "bloated".
Sometimes less is better but I lived with it although it has too many lights, bells and whistles for my liking, then today this thing appears....
We are unable to verify your Musicmatch® Jukebox Plus upgrade key. Your key will soon expire and the Plus features will be disabled.

I'm looking for the best version to downgrade to so that I can avoid all of the extra BS.
I'm taking a look at MusicMatch Jukebox 7.2 (8.9 MB) it's actually smaller than the earlier MusicMatch Jukebox 6.0 (9.4 MB).

locustfurnace
08-13-2004, 02:51 PM
Try using an alternative to MMJB.
Quintessential should cover most of what MMJB does, and Quintessential is free.
http://www.quinnware.com/

08-13-2004, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the reply and the suggestion about Quintessential...

Quintessential is a familiar GUI with lots of skins available since they have three forums dedicated to Skins.... General Skin Discussion, Help and Skin Development. I'm searching for function without all of the "light bells and whistles". I'm sure that Quintessential is a fine player but I'm looking for simple ... Last thing I want to do here is put anything down, specially when it's a freebie.

I've been looking at Foobar2000 (http://www.foobar2000.org/) and since I'm not sure what version MM Jukebox does the job w/o the extras. I'm leaning to try Foobar2000.

Regards...

08-13-2004, 06:09 PM
if you need more info on music match changes through version i dug up this piece on the history of versions , Version 6.0 - 11/22/00

MusicMatch Radio
Considers personal listening habits and those of like-minded MusicMatch community members when creating your playlist.
Share your favorite MusicMatch Radio stations with friends.
Create Artist Match stations based on music from your favorite artist
Select a mix of your favorite music genres to make customized stations with Station Match
View online artist and song information while listening with the MusicMatch Music Guide
Know what was played via the always-saved playlist history
Skip to the next song in the radio playlist
High-quality listening experience
18 professionally programmed, popular-genre stations
Avoid drop-outs during songs and gaps between songs with proprietary buffering technology
Listen to high-quality audio with high-speed internet connections
New Look and Feel
Control your music with the new, easier-to-use, sleeker, and more powerful user interface.
Access key areas quickly with the easy-to-access new tab design including My Library, Radio Stations, Music Guide and Now Playing.
Get help when needed with easy-to-understand Help files, Getting Started Guide and our Tip of the Day for quick hints and tips.
Enhanced Music Experience
Experience true high fidelity audio from your MusicMatch Jukebox with DFX plug-in
Get music recommendations, charts, free downloads and what's new in the world of music with the redesigned Music Guide.
Customize the look and feel of your MusicMatch Jukebox with new skins and visualizations.
Integrate album cover art into your desktop with MusicMatch Wallpaper (Plus version only).
Add cover art, lyrics, notes, bios and other info to your music with powerful new song tagging controls.
Scroll through visualizations, videos and cover art at the touch of a button with the new Media Window design.
Version 5.10.118 - 3/21/00

Find and download free music - more than 40,000 songs - via the MusicMatch Guide
Get more frequent and better tailored music recommendations in the MusicMatch Guide
Plug in to great new visualizations (White Cap and G-Force) from eye-candy guru Andy O'Meara
Enhanced help files
Version 5.00.171 - 3/27/00

Minor bug fixes.
Version 5.0

CD-quality MP3 recording at up to 320 kbps in the free version
Integrated 2-click CD burning at up to 2x
Online "Track Info" window that provides instant information on the musicians and albums being played.
A newly designed online "MusicMatch Guide" with personal music recommendations and "MusicMatch Charts"
Support for visualization plug-ins
Automatic download of software updates via Marimba technology
Windows 2000 support
Improved portable MP3 player support (including RCA Lyra support)
Plus Version: Faster CD recording and support for maximum hardware speed CD burning - up to 6x
Plus Version: 20 percent faster MP3 encoding
Plus Version: Print custom CD-R jewel case inserts with album art and track titles
Plus Version: Print the inventory of your Music Library and Playlist by track, artist, etc.
Plus Version: Enhanced equalizer with custom presets - save settings for different music or situations.
Plus Version: Custom genre tagging
Version 4.5

Net Radio powered by RocketRadio - Tune in to thousands of Internet radio stations, in 40 different formats, using Net Radio powered by RocketRadio MusicMatch Jukebox now offers an integrated Internet radio tuner. The new Net Radio feature allows access to over 2,500 online radio stations worldwide, in nearly forty genres. Select a radio station and view station specific information such as physical location, broadcast frequency, digital audio file format, program schedule, and more.
Version 4.4

Streaming Windows Media Video
New NetMusic Design with Personalized Music Recommendations from Top-Tier Online Music Partners
New Folders View in Music Library
QuickPlay System Tray Launch
MusicMatch Alarm Clock
Version 4.3

New Fraunhofer Encoder - Record songs with superior sound quality at up to 12x faster than playback speed - 40% faster than was previously available.
Net Music Customization - Users can choose to upload their digital music listening histories to the MusicMatch servers, and in return recieve individually personalized recommendations that match their listening histories and genre preferences.
Version 4.2 - 9/29/99

MP3 streaming
WMA (Windows Media Audio) support
The "Net Music" feature, which helps you find new music online from within the player interface
New downloadable themes
and more
Version 4.05.0026 - 7/21/99

Added a faster database
Improved/higher quality recording
Cut & paste art tagging
Two new themes
Version 4.00

Record an unlimited number of MP3s at near-CD quality in the standard free version of MusicMatch Jukebox
New line-in recording allows you to record MP3s from vinyl, cassette or microphone sources
Advanced recording capabilities such as fade control, volume normalization, clipping, and the ability to play music in real time while recording
User-configurable music library and an easy to use automatic playlist creator (AutoDJ)
Play back enhancements such as an equalizer and an integrated CD player
Support for GUI "themes" allows users to customize the look of the MusicMatch Jukebox 4
40% smaller download with a completely new, more efficient code base
Version 3.1

Custom file naming options
File saving enhanced with sub-directories
ID3 tag support
Track Information screen (File Tagging) redesigned
Tag screen access from Track Info screen
Version 3.0

New GUI with size adjustments
Custom compression modes: Constant Bit Rate encoding & Variable Bit Rate encoding
Extended file tagging features and solution for redundant entry
One step record and file delete
Button function redundancy in menu format

locustfurnace
08-13-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Guest@Aug 13 2004, 04:09 PM
Last thing I want to do here is put anything down, specially when it's a freebie.

I've been looking at Foobar2000 (http://www.foobar2000.org/) and since I'm not sure what version MM Jukebox does the job w/o the extras. I'm leaning to try Foobar2000.

Regards...
Puttin' down a freebis is still OK to do, I'm not a fan of winamp, its still a freebie - for the most part. I also don't care much for Xmms, another freebie.
Foobar is really good, I am a member on a forum where the developers of Foobar post regularly and basically get a ton of input from and they do have a really good product there, no fancy gui it just plays music.
If you want a non-GUI player that is excellent, try mpg123 and its offspring, mpg321. It has more abilities which I've yet to see in a gui based player.
It is fast, as are most - if not all commandline apps are.
Can really create some interesting 'playlists' by passing off "complex" options. such as
mpg123 */*il*, which would end up searching in all sub directories, and play ANY song which contains the 2 letters il. for example, when i ran this command, it played these songs, notice where the il is in the name.

output:
Playing MPEG stream LacunaCoil - Heaven's a Lie (Acoustic).mp3
Playing MPEG stream Amduscia - Melodies For The Devil - 01 - Beyond The Darkness (Raving Mix).mp3
Playing MPEG stream Mnemonic - Konstruktive Vergangenheitsbewltigung (cd2) - 05 - Humiliation (Implant Rmx V2).mp3

DC
08-16-2004, 04:29 PM
Thanks for all the input, guys. I guess the features I care most about are:
1. Super-tagging (I rate songs and give them weird genres, often I even store lyrics in the file)
2. Auto-DJ based on info in the tags
3. Convenient/Easy GUI for displaying tag information

I also like having album cover art, CDDB support, and so on, but they're less essential. I haven't found any other programs that support these capabilities. If I'm just missing out (I didn't thoroughly go through the documentation for Foobar or Quinntessential), let me know. Otherwise, I'll report back about anything else I find out.

locustfurnace
08-16-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by DC@Aug 16 2004, 04:29 PM
Thanks for all the input, guys. I guess the features I care most about are:
1. Super-tagging (I rate songs and give them weird genres, often I even store lyrics in the file)
2. Auto-DJ based on info in the tags
3. Convenient/Easy GUI for displaying tag information

Madman (http://madman.sourceforge.net/) (GNU/*nix)
Is what i use for a Jukebox; has a great tagging system. with auto tagging, last tag recall function, weighting system; so you can keep track of what you like and don't like. How often a song has been played. The ability to select favorite songs, place them in a playlist automatically, and then burn that particular playlist.
Plus, has a built in webserver, so you can keep the player and songs on one machine on your LAN and play them on a different machine via a web browser.

quickben
09-01-2004, 03:54 AM
Think their approach to the upgrade was crap - and to find no skins, no lyrics etc etc - and slooooooooooowwww - fortunately found a version of 8.2 again and have gone back to that so much happier :D

09-19-2004, 05:46 AM
Best version is 7.0!
I'm testing 9.0 now, but i don't like it, 7.0 is better! :o

09-22-2004, 05:15 AM
All of Music Match's versions suck. They hog all the system resources and constantly crash. I have a large music library and it cannot handle it at all. They tell me to uninstall and reinstall and the like to no avail. It really is a bad program. I swore off Windows Media Player but am back to using it with its new functions and the like and have not had a problem yet.

jerry
09-25-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by guest_guest@Aug 9 2004, 03:56 AM
upgraded from 8.2 to the new 9.0. Now the "Convert files" feature is very, very slow. Have it on a P4 1.5mzh with 512megs ram. Tried to convert 10 mp3's that were encoded @ 256 down to 128. 30 mins later it was still trying to decode them down to 128. Fired onld 8.2 up on a 800mhz P3 with 128megs of ram... 10mins later all 10 mp3's re-coded from 256 to 128. Avoid MMJB 9.
Where can I find old plugins for old Musicmatch(Thomson Lyra pdp 2222) :( ?

catcha125
11-16-2004, 04:48 AM
Has anyone out there had the same problem? Using version 9 of MUSICMATCH I have had no end of problems with freezing, simply not working etc.. and the latest is it keeps connecting me to the internet every time I start up the programme. I have now uninstalled it and am in the process of reinstalling version 8.2 to see if that solves the problem.

leave_me_alone_0001
12-04-2004, 11:03 PM
that's weird musicmatch 9 has worked fine for me..and even converting files was easy

antibody
12-23-2004, 04:08 PM
Sorry to see MMJB getting worse. I have problems with interfacing with my computer (3Ghz + 1024 ram 240 Gb Hd) it wont simply work! And no skins!
I use the good ol` 8.0 -version. Ive got the plusversion but thats no help.
Going to use mediaplayer instead.
I have tried to tell the staff on MMJB but they dont seems to be interested in my problems with no skins etcetera. Goodbye MMJB. Hello WMD.

locustfurnace
12-23-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by antibody@Dec 23 2004, 05:08 PM
Goodbye MMJB. Hello WMD.
A good replacement for MMJB is Quintessential or QCD plus its freeware;

http://www.quinnware.com/

humdrum
12-23-2004, 06:49 PM
I upgraded to 9.0, it sucked, and downgraded back to 8.2. Now I've got Version 10, it's totally unstable, and I'm retrograding back to 8.2. What the heck are these guys doing?

I'd hop players, but got a lot of time invested in rating track preferences. Plus I like the MXRadio service. Can anyone recommend an alternative? I'll check out Quintessential.

cheers

Antibody
01-08-2005, 02:34 AM
MMJB is the best player! Ive checked them all out and find MMJB is the optimal choice. But stay away from version 9.0 and 10.0 - full of bugs, freezing your computer and there are no skins aviable.
The best version ever is 8.2 and you can download it from: http://partners.musicmatch.com/archives/

But again - avoid version 9 and 10.

blxgrl
01-18-2005, 04:53 PM
[COLOR=red] :angry: what can i do to get my music 2 play i have over 1300 songs. i tried to update in music match i copied all my music into windows media while i dl the latest im mmj. well it would'nt open something about skins. now windows doesnt seem to support my music , but before i started the update i could play almost all my stuff in windows from mmj. what can i do. i'm dling mmatch70.exe 2 see if i can fix the problem. can anyone tell me what 2 do. thanx :huh: :blink:

straight talker
01-18-2005, 05:49 PM
please try and explain more clearly, what type of music files are they ? try right clicking on one of your music files and select open with and chose in the box that opens windows media player or whatever music player you have, it is perhaps that your music files are set to open with a program you have removed

locustfurnace
01-18-2005, 06:37 PM
if you updated the program, or moved the source files, the actual wma, mp3, aac, ogg files from where they once were to say, CD, then though the songs "appear" to show up in the player, what your seeing is actually the playlist.
Find an actual song, double-click on it, see what it opens & plays in.

nuke
02-11-2005, 11:38 AM
Anytime I try to startup music match (I think 8) it starts up, plays the start up sound and then shuts back down immediately after the sound it plays. Virus? If so how can I get rid of it?

Thanks in advance for any help

jakobkraft
02-23-2005, 04:11 PM
Is there a way in version 8.2 to set Musicmatch Portable Device Manager to Auto Sync whenever it detects my device is connected? I don't see any options to do so in Portable Device Manager but maybe I'm missing something?
I'd rather not upgrade to version 10 if possible, too many bugs...
Thanks!

02-23-2005, 07:42 PM
Does anyone know how to uninstall jukebox, it won't remove from window's remove program app. And it doesn't have an uninstall. Also I can't simply delete the program from my computer because some of the files are being used by other programs for some reason. So I don't know how to get rid of it. Can any one out there help me out?

Dionysus
02-23-2005, 08:38 PM
My Jukebox Radio doesn't work. I've got the new jukebox 10 but when I click on radio it just sits there and loads, I've left it to load for over 2 hours, but nothing ever loads. I don't know what the problem is. It does say i'm not logged in but I cannot get it too log in, so I don't know if thats part of the problem. But if anyone has any tips I'd appriciate the help.

tattiemannie
03-03-2005, 10:08 AM
Yeah I've found more recent mmjb to be increasingly slow and irksome! Cant find how to stop it calling up the internet on opening which further slows things down. This is a pain as I tend to have all unnecesary USBs unplugged to maximise performance of my more memory intensive music programs. And, unable to contact the net, mmjb plagues me with further time-wasting dialog screens. I only really use the excellent file converter, and occasionally the burner...but if anyone can tell me where I can find a GOOD standalone file converter, I'd be happy to ditch music match and ponder what I can do with over 60 megs of free hard drive space! Meanwhile, I think I'll go clear out all traces of the prog, download an earlier version, then remove the annoying auto update component.

can you read
03-03-2005, 12:23 PM
try searching, just dumping a post and waiting is both lazy and gets us guests a bad name. try it sometime i did . look what i found ya http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...l=mp3+converter (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=2111&hl=mp3+converter)

tattiemannie
03-03-2005, 07:17 PM
Perhaps what gives guests a bad name is the dismissive, presumptuous, discourteous manner you display in your response to my post. I actually skipped from here to post a message to musicmatch to complain about their product and suggest spec for a "light" version of their player but with not so light capabilities in certain areas ( rather than have a communal moan ). If I was lazy, as you suggest, I wouldn't have bothered. Neither would I have bothered writing as much on my previous post to share my experiences with others, nor spent half the day trying out various programs in order to feed back to this forum, nor bothered responding to your huffy puffy offering.
However, thanks for pointing out the link, and for the benefit of other readers, I've found nothing worth recommending having avoided the adware bloated items and the "arm and a leg" mob. Still trying though, better check this link!
Chill....Fred.

03-04-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by tattiemannie@Mar 3 2005, 08:17 PM
nor bothered responding to your huffy puffy offering.
However, thanks for pointing out the link, and for the benefit of other readers, I've found nothing worth recommending having avoided the adware bloated items and the "arm and a leg" mob. Still trying though, better check this link!
Chill....Fred.
LOL, listen at yourself and you call some one else huffy puffy, lazy is lazy nothing more nothing less this not a platform for arguments everyone is entitled to an opinion even if they clash

tattiemannie
03-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Tell ye what mate, I think I'd rather be doing nothing than responding to your antagonistic rumblings, but then I'd be soooo hurt if you pointed out that this was an example of laziness. Yes we are all entitled to opinions, but the more grown up among us ensure some sound basis to our views before we apply our names and voices to them. Also, we generally have a sense of circumstances in which they might offend. I am willing to be proved wrong on this one, but I have a feeling you get off on offending people. Shame really, cos I took your advice and now have a great file converter ( dB poweramp ).
I have no desire to wear my keyboard out arguing about anyone's scarcely founded opinion of me, but if you're determined to have the last word, then try www.pottedheid.com and leave a message on the guest book. You can hide behind as many user names as you like and you may even be entertaining.
More importantly, this is a cool site....hope my future correspondence with fellow users is as helpful as this episode, but without the superfluosity......bit like mmjb 10 eh?.....Oh yes.....mmjb! thats it, I knew there was a reason for contacting this site. Now where was I?

03-04-2005, 04:20 PM
been there done that, and NO i dont get off on offending people as i didnt try to offend you and never had that intention at any point i made an observation and thats all had you searched you would of came up with the same results as i had i view this as lazy on the part of anyone who asks something without searching first.

03-17-2005, 05:34 PM
Can anyone please provide a working, valid link so I can access Musicmatch 8.2? I downloaded 8.0 but I am having troubles uploading tracks onto my iPod - PLEASE HELP.

locustfurnace
03-17-2005, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Guest@Mar 17 2005, 06:34 PM
Can anyone please provide a working, valid link
Please make all requests in the Request board, this is a discussion board.

03-19-2005, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by locustfurnace+Mar 17 2005, 08:30 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (locustfurnace @ Mar 17 2005, 08:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Guest@Mar 17 2005, 06:34 PM
Can anyone please provide a working, valid link
Please make all requests in the Request board, this is a discussion board. [/b][/quote]
and please read the pinned topic how to request an app in that board not forgetting to do a search before posting as it may of been requested before and already answered

AChipps
04-05-2005, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by blxgrl@Jan 18 2005, 05:53 PM
[COLOR=red] :angry: what can i do to get my music 2 play i have over 1300 songs. i tried to update in music match i copied all my music into windows media while i dl the latest im mmj. well it would&#39;nt open something about skins. now windows doesnt seem to support my music , but before i started the update i could play almost all my stuff in windows from mmj. what can i do. i&#39;m dling mmatch70.exe 2 see if i can fix the problem. can anyone tell me what 2 do. thanx :huh: :blink:
B) I know what you are talking about. The music you have was downloaded from music match and a hidden rights file to use it with other programs. The only way to use those songs is to run music match and log on. When the song hits a error, then start the song again so the play rights will be restored to that song. That way you can burn a music CD and get rid of the WMA files. They run on copywrite grated from musicmatch.
As far as the players go I don&#39;t have problems with any of the versions of musicmatch, but when you install version 9 disconnect first, and dissable all online sevices in the player or always be online to run it.
Skins are no problem for me, because I make skins for versions 7 to 10. I work weeks making them, and if a newer version comes out I will do it too. I spend more time making and checking everything out, but I don&#39;t have a device to work with the device manager, so version 9 don&#39;t get skins for that part.
You can find me, and write me at my website archie-chipps.com (http://www.archie-chipps.com)
I think version 10 is the best and easiest to skin, but the cd&#39;s you make go into music match database to lable the songs. Not too bad if you are using musicmatch anyway.

guest_joe
05-27-2005, 01:54 PM
Hello. Does anybody use musicmatch 4.0? Is it good. does it have any bugs in it? Thank&#39;s.

JOE_D
03-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Has anyone encountered this problem? After DLing updates to Win XP, MMJB Plus version 7.5 has ceased to work on either of my computers (both desk tops). This happened after the Win update for explorer.

I don't like version 10 at all. It doesn't appear to have the recorder built in. I typically use MM to transfer old recordings to MP3, and the recorder is great for this.

I'd love to find a way to keep using MMJB, but at this point, I've simply uninstalled it...

THanks

TheGreatGazoo
08-15-2007, 11:32 AM
That´s it, musicmatch just doesn´t work for me, can I switch to another player with my mmjb data base? Please say yes!!!!!!! how can I do it? Please help.

Thanks

TheGreatGazoo
08-15-2007, 11:37 AM
Has anyone encountered this problem? After DLing updates to Win XP, MMJB Plus version 7.5 has ceased to work on either of my computers (both desk tops). This happened after the Win update for explorer.

I don't like version 10 at all. It doesn't appear to have the recorder built in. I typically use MM to transfer old recordings to MP3, and the recorder is great for this.

I'd love to find a way to keep using MMJB, but at this point, I've simply uninstalled it...

THanks

Same problem here, uninstalled and trying to migrate my data base to another player but I don´t know how.

Tralala
05-27-2008, 03:24 PM
This is the kind of thread I always end up discovering new music from.... it's the best thing about the "long tail" and music.... before u had to read in a magazine or hunt around in a record store to find something cool -- which made the choices always subject to the "gatekeeping" of editors and music store buyers and etc... -- which would lead inevitably to mediocrity and the prevalence of "poser music" -- i.e. stuff that you want to like because you think it's cool, not because you really like it. Music journalism especially creates high-profiles for really lame stuff, because journalists are always looking behind their backs, trying to profile something that they think in 2 years people will think they were cool for liking "way back when".... I GREATLY prefer the democratic nature of threads like these, where people simply list their tastes and you can just look something up on itunes or youtube and check it out for yourself....

These days I'm really into techno and techno/rock and stuff like that -- try searching for these songs:

Thomas Falke "Revolution On The Dance Floor"
Groove Cutter "My Shooter"
Control One "Just A Little Bit"
Ian Carey "Redlight"
Kevin Weg "Dead Radio"

I don't usually go for techno but these are sort of like a weird crossover between rock and techno/trance.

Here are also some downloads with some other cool stuff too -- http://www.electricfilebox.com/tracks