PDA

View Full Version : Divx Metadata

maxidrom11
12-23-2004, 03:26 PM
Hi,

Right, I wish to add some info to some divx's im creating. Specifically I wish to add data tag-style like with MP3's.

From a forum search, it seems that the program to do this is abcavi. but despite many an attempt i can't get the info i enter to show up in the summary tab in the file's properties box. I just wish to enter a comments field really. (Also i'd like the data to travel with the file, i have a sneaky suspicion that the summary tab in windows is stored as an NTFS ADS which would be lost if I copy the divx's onto cd/dvd...)

Any ideas?
Thanks,

locustfurnace
12-23-2004, 04:16 PM
Meta-data is encoded into the file, so it will go with the file.
As for seeing this in Windows File Property dialogue box, this won't happen. You would need a file extension program to do this, there are a few for mp3, and XP might also handle the meta-data of wma in the property dialog box.
Try seeing if the meta-data shows up in a DivX player.

maxidrom11
12-23-2004, 04:29 PM
Well if you are using the common AVI file there is no real good way of doing this. There is a way. But WMP 6.4 was teh last version of Windows Media Player to recognize and display it. Any other player etc just ignores it. However. MP4 and Matroska both explicitly offer a standard way of storring metadata. Matroska being the most usable at this point. You can even embed an image as part of the metadata. Then read them back easy with an explorer extension including the images.

You can simply re-wrap your AVI files with matroska. All without re-compressing anything. And best of all it takes less than a minute. :D :D :D