PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 6

Mary Lou
03-01-2005, 12:44 AM
Am running IE6 and I am having problems when I type in a web address or click on a web address from the favourites I receive the following message:

Page Cannot Be Displayed

I contacted my ISP who had no idea how to fix the problem, the problem occurs every now and then.

locustfurnace
03-01-2005, 04:17 AM
The page is likely to have been removed. or the link to the address is no longer valid. Links to sites are alive one day, gone another.

03-01-2005, 03:05 PM
ie 6 is rubbish it can be what locust says but it can also be ie6 just being a pain i now use slim browser 4.04 its faster more stable and i havent had any errors since using it ie 6 was fine until i took some of the updates and it was no more good after that. found myself that if i had that error i could shut down ie the reopen it and it load the same page no probs which made me try an alternative browser and im sure pleased i did.

locustfurnace
03-01-2005, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Guest@Mar 1 2005, 04:05 PM
i now use slim browser 4.04 its faster more stable
Slimbrowser is a wrapper which uses the components of IE. It is more of a face-lift for IE and not a replacement browser. But it does work good.

The Dude
03-02-2005, 12:16 AM
Hello my friend,please make sure 'WORK OFFLINE' is UNCHECKED under the "file" menu........If its checked,you wont connect to anything...

Good Luck :)

Mary Lou
03-02-2005, 02:36 AM
Yes, I checked my Work Offline box and is unticked, this problem has only just occurred in the last 2-3 days, before that I had no problem opening websites and from favourites also. The problem still occurring and my ISP advised me that what Locustfurnace advised in his reply dated March 1st would not be correct. Can someone please help??

locustfurnace
03-02-2005, 03:17 AM
Your ISP said, that pages do not disappear from the Internet? Maybe the tech who is working for the ISP has not been using the Internet for very long. Pages do in fact get removed from the Internet all the time.
Are you using this same computer, to post these messages?
Are you running a firewall or proxy?
Also, many pages on hosts are not able to be displayed, do to the host being offline.
If you want, check your hosts file, and remove any entries that are not identified with "localhost"

Mary Lou
03-02-2005, 06:34 AM
Where does one find the hosts file?
I've been using this computer for 7 years and have only just started having this problem.

locustfurnace
03-02-2005, 08:10 AM
host file is located in the C:\Windows
the only entry you want in there is

127.0.0.1 localhost

all others can be removed - unless you manually added others.

Why not drop that link for that site, which is giving you the error. Can see if the page is online or offline. try to narrow down the problem by eliminating potential hangups

Also, have you run any spyware checkers? Many spyware apps will change your host file, adding entrys into it also.
Did you recently do an upgrade to the system, which was prior to the current error
Are you accessing this site from that same computer?

03-02-2005, 08:40 AM
just install mozilla and problem solved dont chase rubbish let the internet explorer go to the trash can lets face it microsoft dont use it they use mozilla says it all really

locustfurnace
03-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Guest@Mar 2 2005, 09:40 AM
just install mozilla and problem solved
That would be a good solution, if not for the fact that so many crucial websites, ie. Banking Institutions, require the use of IE. This is poor design on their part, but nonetheless, it happens.
Yes, one can do some UserAgent switching, but this is not always understandable by many.
Solving the OP's issues shouldn't be to difficult, once more information is supplied by the OP

The Dude
03-02-2005, 06:14 PM
Hmmmmm,thats wierd locust!!!

I have 5 entries in my "host" file....I added AIM of course,but the other 4 are:

127.0.0.1 js1.hitbox.com
127.0.0.1 stats.hitbox.com
127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 localhost

I DID NOT ADD THE$E 3 IN!!!

And what would happen if i removed localhost??? Anything??

Im not gonna remove these i dont think,i dunno.......

Whadda think Locust??

Pete
03-03-2005, 08:24 AM
Some ad blocking/privacy software uses the hosts file to block certain URLs by diverting them to localhost. Most of those entries look like thay may be left over from something like that.

Is that a possibility?

locustfurnace
03-03-2005, 08:57 AM
You can remove them, but, as-is, they will block connections to those sites. Could have been installed from spyware blockers, as mentioned by Pete

mary lou
03-05-2005, 01:37 AM
[QUOTE]

I have no idea what you are referring to, what is it I am supposed to be looking for, what do I key in to find what I am looking for??

mary lou
03-05-2005, 01:39 AM
host file is located in the C:\Windows
the only entry you want in there is

127.0.0.1 localhost

all others can be removed - unless you manually added others.

Why not drop that link for that site, which is giving you the error. Can see if the page is online or offline. try to narrow down the problem by eliminating potential hangups

Also, have you run any spyware checkers? Many spyware apps will change your host file, adding entrys into it also.
Did you recently do an upgrade to the system, which was prior to the current error
Are you accessing this site from that same computer?
==================================================

Referring to your reply, I have no idea what you are referring to, what am I supposed to be looking for etc etc?????????

aladdinnas
03-11-2005, 11:02 PM
who is ur isp?

aladdinnas
03-11-2005, 11:03 PM
if ur internet still works
go here http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
and download Firefox 1.0.1 for Windows, English (4.7MB)

sourjacks
04-02-2005, 10:55 PM
This issue sounds very similar to a problem I had recently. I decided to install the remaining Windows Update for my system. I was putting it off because I knew it was a large download. In the update my IE was upgraded to Version 6. Immediately after installing the update, I was not able to view certain webpages. After some research, I found that it had to do with the Cipher Strength of the browser. Indeed I found that I now had a "0-Bit Cipher Strength" whereas before the update I knew that I had 128-bit. Instead of trying to resolve this newly created problem, I used my disk-revert program to take my 5 year-old system back to its previous state before installing the update. Problem gone. I would highly recommend checking out the following link for more information. Hope it helps.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...;261328&sd=tech (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;261328&sd=tech)