PDA

View Full Version : Help Appreciated

Onehappygunner
06-25-2005, 05:33 AM
Win98se,
Need to format the hard drive but the 'start in ms-dos' prompt is no longer in the shut down options ( dont ask me why, i dont know, its just gone....maybe its on holiday in Teneriffe or something), tried the 'Hold Ctrl button' whilst on boot up but all that gives me is a keyboard error. so now im lost....anyone help me to get to the dos screen?? Before win98 meets the buisness end of my Wilson 9 iron.

Pete
06-25-2005, 07:30 AM
Don't you have a "boot disk" on a floppy?

If not:Start

Run

format c:

OK

locustfurnace
06-25-2005, 11:37 AM
In addition, to add the DOS system to the newly formatted drive, you can install the DOS system when you format, using the Format switches
format /S c: - which formats and leaves the sys on the drive
format /U - eliminates any options to unformat the drive, also known as Unconditional format.
format /v:LABEL will add the LABEL name to the drive, which means it will name the formatted drive, so one could use format /v:WIndows98

You can also use a combination of the above switches, such as
format /v:WIndows98 /S /U c:

If you do not add the system files during the format, you can always add them later from the floppy, when at the A: prompt, issue
sys c:

Onehappygunner
06-26-2005, 02:34 AM
Thank you very much for the help kind people... i can now put the golf club away :D
I downloaded a litlle freeware app called Ultimate Boot Disc, that got the job done, but thanks for the info anyway.