PDA

View Full Version : Older Versions Of Msn Messenger

Aislynne
06-26-2005, 09:44 AM
I notice you have the older versions for download. How do you get them to work.

I was quite happy with 6.0 until I decided to upgrade the other day to 7.0

Now I constantly get some unknown script error every time I open it etc.

I'd like to go back to 6.0 but after install and trying to open it says I must upgrade to 7.

Is there a trick to getting the old one to work?

thanks

SSS
06-27-2005, 01:42 AM
Yes, there is a way to get MSN Messenger 6.0 working again. :)

Download: Hex Workshop (http://www.bpsoft.com/downloads/)
Be sure to have MSN 6 exited before you use Hex Workshop.
Open MSN 6's msnmsgr.exe in Hex Workshop.
Click the Edit menu, and click Replace.
Click the Type arrow, and select Text String.
In the Find box, type the version of your MSN 6. (That also include the build number, i.e 6.0.0602)
In the Replace box, type 7.0.0813. Click OK. Click Replace All. Click OK. Exit Hex Workshop. Open MSN Messenger 6. You should now be able to sign in. :)

Goslow
06-27-2005, 02:24 AM
SSS I would hazard a guess that would be contrary to your user license please suprise me that its not.

clareyware
10-09-2005, 02:47 PM
Hi
I tried following insturctions above to get msn messenger version 5.0 to work on my computer, and googled to find the build number, but none that I found and tried to replace were found by HEX in the file .. any suggestions for build numbers or other ways around this?
please?

XaviarCraig
11-02-2005, 08:10 AM

In the Find box, type the version of your MSN 6. (That also include the build number, i.e 6.0.0602)
In the Replace box, type 7.0.0813. Click OK. Click Replace All. Click OK. Exit Hex Workshop. Open MSN Messenger 6. You should now be able to sign in. :)

By slightly modifying this, I was able to get MSN 5 working flawlessly. You guys freaking ROCK!

Oldversion is the light in the darkness of the internet.

messenger
11-07-2005, 02:28 AM
works fine for me thanks
but how can i use the function to hide me when i sign in...so I appear to be offline when I sign in.. I had this function before i updated to 7.5, so i took the 6.2 but i still can't find that ... where can I get/activate this function?
thanks

Fletch
11-09-2005, 10:41 PM
Works fine, thanks!

Dan
11-27-2005, 11:10 AM
Guys can you tell me how to get 7.0 if i have 7.5 at the muinite thanks who ever helps

Dan
11-27-2005, 11:14 AM
Because if you have 7.0 change stats to busy and you can constantly nudge :D

oha
05-08-2006, 08:11 PM
couple of months ago i found your site after hours of search and i was able to hex edit my 6.2 sumthin msn and then i was able to sign in.. and i was happily using my msn.. but today it started again preventing me from using my sweet old pure version msn.. is there any new version code which i can use in hex edit in order to skip this stupid error message that tells me i must install newer version of msn ???
please help..
kisskaan@yahoo.com
kandjinn@hotmail.com
(msn is not working at the moment !!!! ) :(

03ridgwayw
07-17-2006, 04:16 PM
how can i get msn 6.2 to work wen i have downloaded hex workshop?

03ridgwayw
07-17-2006, 04:21 PM
ive got hex workshop but it says they specified string was no found?

TheOzman
10-23-2006, 04:05 AM

I've followed these instructions.
And the it said 3 things replaced. But i still cant login in to Messenger 6 without it wanting to upgrade to 8.

Though i only have Messenger 6 installed.
So i put the build no. in both "Find:" and "Replace:" fields.

Do you need Messenger 7 installed at the same time for this to actually work?
Or the last latest version of Messenger that was installed.

Thanks.

djedo
11-04-2006, 12:58 AM
Worked for me on version 6.0 exactly as said, I tried the 5.0 aswell but didnt work so I moved back up to 6.0. Now I'm running Windows 2000 Professional version 5.0 build 2195 and i was wondering if I could get MSN 7.5 or higher to run on my win2k machine? Any help very much appreciated. THANKS.

Jinky
11-24-2006, 11:57 AM
I'm sorry, I give up - can't find how to post a new thread - but everyone was so helpful with last problem that this one is going to be simple pimple!
Having loaded msn on it has made my home page automatically 'msn.co.uk' and it takes a while to load on my comp and I don't really want it there. I want to change the homepage but in my internet tools option page the bit where you should be able to type in a different home page is 'greyed out' and unaccessible. Can I change it any other way or make this line 'accessible' ?

amyangel
11-29-2006, 12:15 AM
I just want to use 7.5, why I have to download 8?

spyware remover spyware removal tool
http://www.filesforfree.com/spyware_doctor.htm

the gaffer
11-29-2006, 12:58 AM
I'm sorry, I give up - can't find how to post a new thread - but everyone was so helpful with last problem that this one is going to be simple pimple!
Having loaded msn on it has made my home page automatically 'msn.co.uk' and it takes a while to load on my comp and I don't really want it there. I want to change the homepage but in my internet tools option page the bit where you should be able to type in a different home page is 'greyed out' and unaccessible. Can I change it any other way or make this line 'accessible' ?

when you go into the internet option does the version you are running have the use current button under the greyed out box,if it does then go the page you usually use for your homepage then open the internet options and click the use current button and click apply bottom right corner and you should be set,alternately you could leave internet explorer closed and try altering it via internet options in control,i have had it on a couple machines where i could change the homepage in control panel but not in internet options when it was running.

anthemic
02-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Trying to remove the hex file didn't work for me.

However, I was able to get MSN 6.0 working by writing the file to disc, and then installing from disc.

Works easily.

stevanhogg
02-20-2007, 09:46 AM
7.5 is the best

Tspoon
03-13-2007, 03:53 PM
can somebody plz tell me how to get 7.5 running on my pc. i had it, then i downloaded the newest live messenger. i removed it and it still wouldnt let me install 7.5 . it says there is a problem with the script so i cant load it.
thanks

shippy
03-25-2007, 03:19 AM
alright Tspoon isnt the only one having troubles with getting msn 7.5 back :( i just downloaded it yesterday but already i can say it sucks mine signs out every 5 minutes and its starting to make me angry:mad: im ready to throw my computer out the window so if someone could please help us out that would be great thanks a lot :):D

shippy
03-25-2007, 03:35 AM
alright i couldnt find out how to post new threads but i am just wondering if someone can help me i just downloaded windows live messenger and i hate it it signs me out every 5 minutes and i was just wondering if anyone could tell me how to switch back to 7.0 or 7.5 without having to have a disc or anything like that if any one knows could you please help me out it would be much appreciated thank you so much :D :)

lialinda
07-05-2007, 08:10 PM
live messenger ... signs me out every 5 minutes ... tell me how to switch back to 7.0 or 7.5

I use the online version of MSN's IM, that way nothing needs to be downloaded:
http://webmessenger.msn.com

MuffinMan123
06-16-2008, 04:41 AM
ok I just realized one thing after reading the 2nd post solution.
you will have to change your version each time a new version comes out.

that is rather inefficient, is there any preferment solution to this problem?
I am trying to use messenger 6.2 on windows 2000, but it won't let me, I thought live can't run on 2000 at all, so why is it bothering me to update?

junjoi
08-07-2008, 12:46 AM
HI guys,

visit a great website fun for everyone
www.oldversion.com

WONADONELY
08-18-2008, 01:27 PM
this trick actually doesnt work. if you look at the list of old msn's on the oldversion website, you will see that all you get for the build id is 6.0, nothing further. in order for it to work, you have to know the full build version like 6.0.0.45.2. simply knowing that its 6.0, will not help you.

the gaffer
08-18-2008, 03:47 PM
this trick actually doesnt work. if you look at the list of old msn's on the oldversion website, you will see that all you get for the build id is 6.0, nothing further. in order for it to work, you have to know the full build version like 6.0.0.45.2. simply knowing that its 6.0, will not help you.

Perhaps it no longer works but it obviously did at the time as replies stated that it had worked with them,Look at the age of the post things can and do change with time.

googajoob7
10-13-2008, 08:55 AM
recently its become manditory for older versions of msn to be updated to the new windows live messenger . i dont want to do this . it also say mess.be have a patch to allow you to carry on using the version you want but i ve searched the site and i cant find it anywhere . does anyone have a link ?
thanks

googajoob7
01-24-2010, 08:49 AM
i ve been looking everywhere on the mess be site which old version recomends so i can use an old version of msn messenger . but i cant find it anywhere . does anyone have a link ?
thanks

Frankie60
02-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Im also Having problems with the Newest Windows Live Messenger Version 14.0 what a mess.I had to upgrade cause its says in order to use Messenger you have to upgrade to the Latest Version.I have Windows XP with Service pack 2.Now I get a message that says " We cant sign you in Messenger Cause the Service is unavailable" I try uninstall it and go back to to messenger version 8.5 but now I lost Windows Photo Gallery which I think was included with Messenger 14.0.olderversion says theres a patch at mess with messenger I cant find it.I will go with Yahoo messenger I guess.