PDA

View Full Version : windows xp logon

bobby
11-25-2005, 11:04 AM
goodday folks,i have just purchased a pc from an auction included are all the driver discs etc for mainboard, modem ,graphics card,sound card etc and also included is the windows xp disc.the problem i have is that the windows xp disc case is damaged and i cannot read all of the COA code from it. i cannot use the pc as it has a windows logon password that i do not know.is it possible to put the hard disk in another computer as a slave drive so i can browse and find the COA code.if this is possible where or what file would it be stored in.if this is not possible is there a way that i could bypass the windows logon password so that i can load and run xp and use the pc.thank you to anyone who may shed light on this for me as i am totally stuck and not a computer genious.

Jaime Andrés
11-25-2005, 07:51 PM
If the CD case or the PC case has the the XP product code , you could format the HDD and start again. Presumably the previous owners files are of no interest to you.
You then wouldn't need a logon password or you could create your own.

bobby
11-26-2005, 04:12 PM
If the CD case or the PC case has the the XP product code , you could format the HDD and start again. Presumably the previous owners files are of no interest to you.
You then wouldn't need a logon password or you could create your own.
the files etc are of no interest at all but if i could get past the login screen then i could use a program such as belarc advisor to retrieve the licence code as the one on the xp cd case is damaged due to it being in a box of discs that have been handled without much care as most are cracked or broken.i can read the one on the case all except 3 digits in the middle of it.i could just install an alternative os as i have windows 98se and also windows me but i would prefer to keep the xp on it as thats what it had when new.as i already mentioned im uninterested in whats on it thats why i said i would prefer to install the hard drive as a slave in another system to retrieve the code if its possible instead of getting past the login screen.that way i can just format and reinstall xp.any further help with this would be greatly appreciated.

bobby
11-29-2005, 09:47 AM
hi guys,im all sorted,a tech forum advised i try at the login screen to login as administrator with no password.bingo it worked fine i have now formatted reinstalled everything and got the 3 digits i couldnt read from the case.worth remembering that this login exists as standard unless changed by the user/owner. i know i didnt get the help here i needed but thanks anyway for all the good stuff ive been reading since i found you guys and the oldversion forums.i am just wondering if it was a problem people here had not come across and hence they did not reply or did people here think i was trying to gain access to things i should not of ? i just see from reading that many people here seem very good at computer diagnostics etc and feel sure one of you would of known this ? anyhow no worries which ever i just wondered.hope i can help you guys out sometime i will be visiting again no doubts.