PDA

View Full Version : CE/DP Stealer

Catwoman6006
12-29-2005, 09:58 AM
I'd like to have the following program (which is free):

Program name: CE/DP Stealer for MSN Messenger
Current version: 4.0
Desired version: 3.0
Description: Scans your temporary internet files for your MSN contact's display picture.

They do have the 3.0 version listed on the sherv.net website, but when I try to download it, it ends up downloading 4.0 The 4.0 version is full of adware. I would like the 3.0 version, if possible. There are other programs similar to the CE/DP Stealer, but I found this program easier to use.

Goslow
01-04-2006, 02:04 AM
How about 3.5 does it contain the adds
http://www.kapook.com/promote/CEDP_Stealer_3/CEDP-Stealer-Setup.exe

http://home.galileo.edu/~ivarodriguez/MSN Plus Plug-ing's/CEDP-Stealer-Setup.exe

files not installed for download file/version confirmation.
files contain bundled adware installers and or possible trojan.

Catwoman6006
01-04-2006, 10:41 AM
First of all thanks for finding this program............

The 3.5 version does have the adverts. The 3.0 version does have a few. Unfortunately, my McAfee virus scan deletes the entire program the second after installation, identiflying it as a Trojan. Used to be the adverts could be removed, then the program could be used as normal.

Not sure how to work around the problem of it being classified as a Trojan ......................

the gaffer
01-05-2006, 09:01 AM
ive seen on other forums where members claim to of disabled there av scanner when installing and then run a spyware remover such as adaware or spybot and once they have done their job then the av scanner is fine with the program.i have never tested this theory but note that some programs no longer function when you remove the advertisement adds feature,or it could be that the file downloaded is not as it states to be.i personally think you may want to try a different download if anyone adds a further link to it.

Catwoman6006
01-05-2006, 10:02 AM
Some of the versions from different websites may be unstable. I used to have no problem running the program after the ads were removed.

Goslow
01-09-2006, 12:34 AM
I have run the installers through various virus scan engines most will identify either adware or trojan amongst the files, some will detect nothing, it could be the nature of the software that causes this reaction however as the files are not coming from the home site extra caution is required.

The fact of the softwares name and that the home site serves a file other than what is offered/requested are additional warning signs.

I have found little infomation as to the nature of trojan however the adwares can apparently monitor your inputs and browsing habits, transmit to an external site and download and install softwares, disable other wares and reinstall deleted parts etc... .
I would guess the trojan is part of the adware, the adware itself differs little from the nature of a trojan apart from perhaps some small warning that you are installing.

Yes, the newest version contains many more adware installers.

You could try submit the files to mcaffee explaining their nature and asking for an explaination/solution

Catwoman6006
01-09-2006, 08:09 AM
McAfee anti-virus indentifies this program as W32/Crog.worm. I've found similar programs that are almost (but not quite) identical to the MSN CE/DP stealer that McAfee does not delete.

I've found the early version of the program (version 1.4.5) works fairly well, but does not preview most of the pictures.