PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best version of AIM?

spunker88
01-01-2006, 03:21 PM
Love this site! Ive heard newer aim versions have adware. I heard triton is slow and has spyware too!. What happened to the good 'ol days where you could download a program and install it without having to worry about all this crap. Anyway, what is the best version of aim. The one that had the most useable features, and no adware, spyware crap.

sesstreets
01-01-2006, 07:32 PM
I suggest looking into trillian basic 3

trillian.cc

Andrew T.
01-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Among versions of the official client, the last version I would recommend is version 4.8. In fact, Windows 95 and NT 4.0 users are still prompted to download this at AOL's official Instant Messenger website.

The Dude
01-24-2006, 12:14 AM
Welcome to our site my friend,i hope your stay is a pleasant one :)

I would recommend downloading aim 5.5.3598ca (http://canada.aol.com/aim) .. It IS the best and last GOOD VERSION OF AIM (It all goes to crap after 3598)

This version has NO GAMES,NO CRAP,NO "VIEWPOINT.EXE" Nothing but aim........

I love this version like crazy!!!!!!

Good luck & Thank you for coming ashore :)

Deathwish238
10-06-2006, 02:53 AM
Welcome to our site my friend,i hope your stay is a pleasant one :)

I would recommend downloading aim 5.5.3598ca (http://canada.aol.com/aim) .. It IS the best and last GOOD VERSION OF AIM (It all goes to crap after 3598)

This version has NO GAMES,NO CRAP,NO "VIEWPOINT.EXE" Nothing but aim........

I love this version like crazy!!!!!!

Good luck & Thank you for coming ashore :)

Just a heads up, I tried downloading version 5.5.3598 from this site and my A/V software(NOD32 the best out there) blocked it and showed that it contained AdWare

straight talker
10-06-2006, 07:38 AM
New AIM worm may prove difficult to fight

A sophisticated computer worm spreading via AOL Instant Messenger is setting up a botnet that may be difficult to combat, Computerworld reports.

The worm, known as W32.pipeline, propagates when AIM users click on a Web link that appears to have been sent to them by someone on their buddy list. They receive a message along the lines of "Hey, would it be okay if I upload this picture of you to my blog?" If the recipient clicks on the link, an executable file that looks like a JPEG will download into a Windows folder.

The file can then execute a number of different attacks. It can open up the e-mail port on the PC and send out spam messages. It can also install a variant of the "hacker defender" rootkit, which is widely deployed and difficult to remove.

One of the most dangerous aspects of the worm is that it can also connect to remote file-upload sites, where it can continuously download new infections. The worm is unique because the program seems to be able to contact a number of different sites around the globe randomly.

"Previously, where we've seen something similar to this attempted, if one file is pulled off-line or removed by an ISP, the whole chain goes down. But this one, if one file goes missing or gets pulled down, it will potentially make a call to another file. It has quite a random aspect to it," one expert said.