PDA

View Full Version : Winzip ver 8.1 or 8.1sp for XP-Pro SP2?

Lexus
02-01-2006, 08:30 AM
Hi, all.

Can someone confirm that either one of the above Winzip programs will work with XP Pro-SP2, and

What is the differences between the two?
Do both have uninstallers?

Pls, I am only considering Winzip (since family has had in the past) or maybe Winrar (though I know nothing about).

thanks

Goslow
02-03-2006, 03:30 AM
Generally the advice of this forum is to forget winzip and try a freeware zipper like 7-zip an exceptionally good start you wont regret.

http://www.7-zip.org/
http://www.oldversion.com/talk/showthread.php?&t=1838&highlight=zippers

but then I like old junk
http://www.kmonos.net/lib/xacrett.en.html
but maybe thats just me.

the gaffer
02-03-2006, 03:47 PM
no doubt about it. Goslow has hit the nail on the head,7zip beats winzip hands down in my opinion,its a great program and well worth a try,i heard about it here and was a long term user of winzip but ive used nothing else since i tried it and as said its free so if you dont like it you havent lost anything.

locustfurnace
02-03-2006, 07:06 PM
I would believe both versions will work in XP. Would have to see if someone here is using XP and the versions.
As for the difference in names. I can only speculate that its just a bug fix difference.
But one can easily find out the difference, by downloading both version and reading the Changelog.
Most software developers log all changes in this file. This usually is a standard way to document changes in all software.

WinRAR is slightly different than winzip. It's a different algorithm which compresses the data. Usually files compressed via WinRAR or RAR, in general are smaller than zip files.

WinRAR can usually uncompress zip file as well.

DRVTACH
02-05-2006, 02:40 PM
Hi Guys N Gals,
They both work just great. I use 8.1 myself.

Have a Great day, if you can figure this out you will be very happy :)
Later [edited]

Goslow
02-05-2006, 11:25 PM
If the above refers to serial numbers you do not please anyone here.

If you like to contribute follow the forum rules.

Theft is stupid, more so when there are better free alternatives.

Death
02-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasnt Winzip 8.1 free? Just had a nag screen. I'm 99% sure it was. And I would stick with Winzip. Dont get me wrong I use winrar too. But you will find if you use an old version of winrar and download a modern Rar file you cant open it until you update Winrar. So I will go with Winzip allways. And I'm sure version 8.1 is when they introduced the spilt Zip file option. Basically spit a big zip file into chunks to put on Floppys, Cd,s or even to send to a friend in chunks.

locustfurnace
02-07-2006, 02:01 PM
I believe all versions where "free" in that you could use it beyond its "expiration" date. Just had to deal with the nag screen. Some functions might have been disabled after the trial period. Possibly, the ability to create zipped archives.

If the nag screen poses a problem with someone, then switch to 7zip. It handles zip and rar with no problems.