PDA

View Full Version : More than 60% of Vista needs to be re-written

The Dude
03-24-2006, 09:48 PM
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30516

http://www.myfilestash.com/userfiles/thedude/rofl.gif

straight talker
01-27-2007, 04:43 PM
only 60% thats an improvement,its okay though i will maybe buy it when it gets to service pack 19 or so and has about 350 hotfixes lol lol lol, never thought i would say this but i been using linux my old man set up on a pc and mate for what i use lately ie backing up music and dvd discs and editing my own photos etc it literally walks all over my usual pc.

Windows 2000 Professional
01-28-2007, 12:43 AM
Once the big game companys start making 64bit games then I might buy new computer vista be preinstall in most computers anyway.

the gaffer
01-28-2007, 01:29 AM
vista will be preinstalled on most pcs anyway,thats a shame as once again it takes away the freedom of choice.

Windows 2000 SP4
01-28-2007, 02:51 AM
Well if you where smart buy windows xp box or 2000 buy new computer and format it and install xp or 2000 what ever you like. And it can be done.........

the gaffer
01-28-2007, 04:46 AM
Well if you where smart buy windows xp box or 2000 buy new computer and format it and install xp or 2000 what ever you like. And it can be done.........

why would i want to buy a new pc then format it and install a different os,i wouldnt buy a pc anyway,i build my own systems to my own requirements as an when i need one,the comment was a general opinion on new pcs being shipped with the latest os all the time and taking away the freedom of choice from every day people who cannot or do not want to do such things.

locustfurnace
01-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Until chipmakers & motherboards start supporting more than 4Gb of RAM, getting a 64bit system right now is not the benefit it would seem.
The only major benefit 64bit has over 32bit systems, is being able to address more than 4 gigs of RAM. But from most of the systems being shipped today, they either come with 1 or 2 gigs of RAM and can usually only be upgraded to 4Gb.

The best option available is to get a dual or quad-core system. My iMac is a dual-core 2.0Ghz and it does have a performance boost when encoding video. I usually can compress any movie to XviD in half an hour using 180% of the CPU. I am sure the Xeon Quad Core Mac Pro's would beat that time by a large margin.

Sure, 64bit might sound great, buy why wait for something thats really not going to improve your experience by much unless you have all the pieces required.
You can likely find some games that offer SMP performance which is far better than 64bit has to offer.

As far as Vista, it sounds like a nightmare.

The Dude
01-30-2007, 05:07 PM
Vista's legal fine print includes extensive provisions granting Microsoft the right to regularly check the legitimacy of the software and holds the prospect of deleting certain programs without the user's knowledge. During the installation process, users "activate" Vista by associating it with a particular computer or device and transmitting certain hardware information directly to Microsoft. [more]http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/175801

What nerve they have!!!

Would it be possible making EVERY FILE "READ ONLY" so it cannot be deleted??

They are trying to force this garbage on everyone! Dells are now only going out with VISTA (You cant request anything else)

M$ needs to be stopped and now! http://www.myfilestash.com/userfiles/thedude/icon04.gif

Windows 2000 SP4
02-01-2007, 08:19 AM
I'm so sure nobody here cares about vista this is old version not vista I'm sure the dsl board could use this info but 99.9% I bet someone would beat you to the news.

locustfurnace
02-01-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm so sure nobody here cares about vista this is old version not vista I'm sure the dsl board could use this info but 99.9% I bet someone would beat you to the news.

Guess you're not privy to Comcast television commercials. As DSL is for the Slowsky's.

This is Oldversion, but that does not mean users must use an old OS. Then again, Vista is already outdated before it was released. Considering how long it was in development.

The Dude
02-01-2007, 06:20 PM
I'm so sure nobody here cares about vista this is old version not vista I'm sure the dsl board could use this info but 99.9% I bet someone would beat you to the news.It seems like you dont like it here.....

The Dude
02-06-2007, 09:16 AM
http://files.ww.com/files/27933.html

:D :D :D

the gaffer
02-10-2007, 08:48 AM
hey dude i found a version of xp thats real good and mega cheapif you really want to go with xp go linux xp desktop i just testing it for a while and its pretty impressive.

The Dude
03-02-2007, 11:35 PM
http://slashdot.org/articles/07/03/02/1822256.shtml

Exactly my thoughts! :D

Windows 98SE
03-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Well just tested out vista in front, somebody wanted my help with there computer they forgot there vista user name password so I had to do some tricks to reset that.

I notice 2 small lines going across screen when loading windows.

Notice alot of junk big time wow clock on the right side looks cool up top, weather wellllll i guess thats cool.

Notice comes preinstall with macfee virus scan and I must point out macfee can't support vista, Notice vista would crash.

I had to uninstall macfee.

The start menu wow big time change too much on it if you where used to xp or 2000 you be lost on that.

One more thing to you people if you can't master your current windows system what ever it is then don't go buy new computer with vista.

Vista is something you can't do if you can't even master your current windows now.

I was on it for 30 minutes i tell you knew my $hit from there, 21' lcd screen too looks awesome but, I see problems.

Startup you get popup saying needs to sign drivers, preinstall with windows live messager haha.

Taskbar big change too, I dont know about if it was just vista don't support 800x600 res or was just driver for that monitor that don't support 800x600 but was not listed on display.

That's all I can say was not my pc just was there to get vista loading, reset password never had any time to toy anything else.

the gaffer
03-04-2007, 06:03 PM
im sure members would like to know about the trick you used to get round the lost password for vista it may be useful.as far as antivirus i doubt there was a problem with mcaffee if it came preinstalled.why would they preinstall it if it was not compatible.

Windows 98SE
03-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Safe mode HOLD F10, or empty floppy disk was second opition vista has and password would be there but I went with my old nice safe mode trick.

Priceless

the gaffer
03-04-2007, 06:22 PM
i will have to see if that works,sounds too easy for vista but i will try it in a few days when ive got a system up and running with it

locustfurnace
03-04-2007, 07:46 PM
Was looking for a yet another computer. In October I made a laptop purchase. A Toshiba Satellite Intel Core-Duo, 1Gig Ram, Windows Media Center, 17" screen.

Last week I was tempted to buy another laptop, this would have been making use of the AMD Turion 64. I wanted it to run Slam64 on it. As Slam64 is a 64bit version of Slackware.

I was not having any luck getting the MS Windows MC to use both cores when video encoding. It would take 4-5hours to encode to XviD. When I patched Windows with a hotfix to use both cores. It ended up causing the video program that did work, not to work any longer.

So I figured I would get a AMD 64 and run Slam64 on it, using avidemux2 to encode.

So I went shopping, found a HP. Price was nice, less than a grand. Came loaded with 64bit Vista, but only offered 10/100 ethernet. I wanted Gigabit. Plus the CPU was only a TL-52 (1.6Ghz).

Anyways I ended up purchasing a new Macbook. 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1Gig RAM DDR2 667Mhz, DL-DVD, 802.11 b/g/n. Though cost about twice as much as a MS Windows equipped laptop.

But well worth the money. Even though my LAN is only a wired 10/100. I can use the macbook notebook wireless with no wireless routers. I can simply route though my iMac. Which also features wireless connectivity.
I can connect the iMac and the Macbook up using a standard ethernet cable (not a cross-over cable) and get gigabit speeds between them.

Setting up the wireless was simple to do. Getting the MS Windows PC to share files with the mac was also simple to do. Getting files to the Mac's from Slackware is simple to do.

Just about everything loaded in Vista has been available in OS X for sometime now.

As far as video encoding goes. Using either the iMac or the new Macbook I can encode using both cores and I usually can encode in 1 hours, which is 3-4 hours less than it took on the Windows box.

The Dude
03-28-2007, 06:55 AM
Deleting files can take forever

By Dan Goodin in San Francisco
Published Monday 26th March 2007 23:57 GMT
Receive the days biggest stories by email

Windows Vista suffers from a bug that causes many machines to stall while deleting, copying and moving files, a flaw that has provoked consternation in online forums.

......According to a thread on Microsoft's TechNet site, Microsoft has issued a hotfix for the problem, but it has failed to quell the outrage. For one thing, individual users must get Microsoft's approval before the fix can be downloaded, according to our tipster. And for another, hotfixes are more of a pain to install than patches. [more]Unreal!!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/26/vista_copying_bug