PDA

View Full Version : configuring for better speeds

krynn1
04-17-2006, 09:14 AM
can anyone give me advice on how to best configure my pc for better networking speeds. at moment i am connected to the local fone company (pppoe) i use win xp sp2 and a dlink DI-604 router, at 512 kbp dsl i set all the port forwarding and setup according to manufacturer but the speeds are still really slow. on average less than 100 kbp. limewire can get no higher d/l speed than about 6 KB/s and bitcomet highest is around 11. am i doing something wrong or forgetting something? help pls.:(

the gaffer
04-18-2006, 01:59 AM
the 512 figure you quote for your connection is the absolute maximum you could get on your connection and does not reflect what you WILL actually get, there are many deciding factors that can affect performence one in particular being your location ,age and condition of the phone supply cable coming to your property and also the quality and positioning of cables in your home,where possible keep them away from electrical cables and equipment.personally i see not much point in going for a 512kb package as the price difference is not that great on a 2mb package.