PDA

View Full Version : Realjukebox

The Informant
02-01-2003, 09:59 AM
OK, let's add something to the "Real"-saga.

First some basic nfo: I'm on a WinXP Pro SP1 system 2,67 GHz CPU, 256 MB memory with a Realtek (Avance Logic) AC'97 ALC650 v3.38 soundchip.

I'll start with the good. Let me tell you, I tried about 8 different MP3-players, old and newer versions, but after all this time I still prefer RealJukebox Plus 2. It still delivers best performance and more importantly, best sound! It's strange, I don't use the equalizer, no funny settings, but to my ears it still sounds way better if I compare it to e.g. MUSICMATCH. The only player which comes close imho is Cowon Jet-Audio. Furthermore RealJukebox' CD-ripping is ultrafast, no errors, in short excellent and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Now for the bad: Real is constantly trying to inform me that my RealPlayer (v8) and RealJukebox is out of date! Well, I have only one thing to say about that. Real's management is out of date!! They're so @#$%ing arrogant to decide what works best for me. I installed RealOne once but I didn't like it. It's all about appearance and I've noticed no structural improvements. But wait. It gets worse. When you approve of Real updating your system, you automatically lose the "Plus" (MP3 encoding at higher bitrates) Yes people, once more proof it's all about the freaking money. Real wants to get you hooked to their premium program and in return for your membership you're allowed to pay them a constant dollarflow.

One more thing, if you're on a WinXP system and thinking about installing Service Pack1 and still want to use RealPlayer and RealJukebox this is the right sequence to follow:
1 Install RealPlayer and RealJukebox
2 Install Service Pack 1

Don't try to do it the other way because you won't be able to install them any longer. I don't quite remember it but you'll receiver an error something to do with the nt***-layer. Go ahead if you want to try it but don't say I didn't warn ya.

Hope anyone out there can benefit from this nfo.

Greets,

The Informant

Ps. A general rule of thumb. Always disable automatic updating for all programs. This will keep you in control of your system.

Respondant
02-06-2003, 06:51 PM
Thanks very much for that info.

Could you tell me whether it is possible to export or print out from Real Jukebox Plus?

I am using Real Jukebox 2 and find the database impossible to decipher.

In addition, I have taken advantage of the comments field, and the three custom fields provided, and now do not know how to preserve that information if I wish to migrate to another application.

Finally, do you know where it is possible to obtain a copy of the installation package for Real Jukebox Plus? Could you supply one yourself?

Please feel free to e-mail me on meneldil@ntlworld.com

Thanks,

Jon

The Informant
02-08-2003, 08:25 AM
Realjukebox does a better job importing than exporting, no doubt. If you're really into implementing comments on MP3-files and want to be able to exchange all informations with other clients I don't think Realjukebox is what you want. Realjukebox is basically on its own here. I have to admit that's a definitive con.

Having said that there are ways to manipulate the data. About Realjukebox's database. You're right. Real leaves the user in the dark here. Let me shed some light. Look in \RealJukebox\db\ Now check out the files extension. If you haven't made those extensions visible yet do it now: Click Start-Setting-Conrol Panel-Double click Folder Options-Click View and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" Now look for files with the *.dbf extension You can open them with Excel or any other database viewer.
Open e.g. "TRACKS.DBF" And voila, there are all your MP3-files with lots (and I mean lots) of data included. Edit and print all you want from there. So it is possible to do some importing/exporting/editing but it's not the first thing that meets the eye.

Then you're looking for the package. I just did a quick search on KaZaA Lite (KaZaA without the rubbish) and it's available there. If you're not using KaZaA Lite yet get it at If you don't succeed in grabbing Realjukebox from KaZaA reach me on ICQ and we'll work out a solution.

Greets,

TI

removed links: 2004-19-07 refer to [Oldversion.com vs Sharman Networks (http://www.oldversion.com/sharman.php)