PDA

View Full Version : Messenger 6 Download warning

covergirl
07-15-2006, 09:32 AM
My computer runs on Win98 and I'm trying to install messenger version 6 at oldversion.com. My problem is a message pops up before the download which says " Some files may harm your computer... may contain malicious code...." Is this normal and should I just click download now? I've not encountered this before so I'm hesistant to continue the download. Please help me out. I really need to install messenger to be able to chat with my sister who is working in China, not that far but still, we do worry about her. Thanks in advance for your feedbacks.:) :)

Pete
07-15-2006, 10:22 AM
That is a Microsoft Standard Dialog box that lets you know that anytime you run an .EXE (executable) file, you need to be sure it is from a safe source.

As far as I know, the administrators at Oldversion.com do not knowingly provide any files with dangerous content.

To be safe, download it first, and then scan it with your favorite anti-virus software, before running it.

straight talker
07-15-2006, 05:49 PM
downloaded that a couple of days back and as with everything ,i scanned it as i was on a friends pc and it is fine as PETE says thats just a standard warning box and they do not appear with everything you download.

covergirl
07-17-2006, 08:06 AM
Thank Pete & Straight Talker for the advice:) Really appreciate your feedbacks.