PDA

View Full Version : New Member - Garry Conn | My Intro

garryconn
08-14-2006, 02:52 PM
Hello everyone,

My name is Garry Conn. I just tripped over a rock and landed here on this site, which is totally awesome. For some reason, the cards of life have dealt me a hand which makes me a magnet for helping people with their computer problems... specifically old computers and old software.

I am far from an IT engineer, however... I have hand my hands in the mixing bowl of technology for about 15 years (since my teen years). I am 29 years old, married, have three kids, I am BROKE, have no job, and I don't have much to do other than sit here in this chair and surf the Internet, publish on my blog site, and help people.

I know I am the new guy here... so don't want to step on any toes... I pretty much know the written and un-written rules and politics of message boards... so basicially:

I just wanted to say hello! and wanted to let people know that I can help if you are having trouble with your older computer... or new computer for that matter.

Take care... look forward to meeting everyone here,

Garry

straight talker
08-14-2006, 03:21 PM
hi garry,always good to see new members,just thoiught i would mention,surfing the job centre puts you in a far better position of finding work than surfing the net,take any job, a working man is far more likely to find a good job than an unemployed man.

garryconn
08-14-2006, 04:09 PM
I hear ya! You aren't telling me anything that I don't already know. Actually I do have a job but I am always looking for something better. My job unfortunately doesn't pay as well as my wife's and we have a new baby, so I am stuck at the moment being Mr. Mom... Ideally, it would be great to work nights or evenings... I won't get to see much of the kids and my wife but we will be making money 24 hours around the clock.... passing eachother in/out the door.

It's definately a tough time for us right now... but that's not the reason why I am here. I joined this community board to take a break from all that, when I have free time I would rather not think about our finances and focus on helping others. You know what I mean? We have a plan... its rolling out... takes time. I should have thought twice before posting that I am jobless ;) My bad! LOL

Its nice to meet you too.. Where are you from? What are your interests, hobbies, etc...

Talk to you soon,
Garry

straight talker
08-14-2006, 06:00 PM
yo mate i hear what ya saying ok,im uk 19 and all i do is work and go fishing no other interests at the moment really,working tires and stresses me out as i work 50+ hours a week and then i go find a nice spot on a lakeside and all is forgiven and i am back to being calm and relaxed,works for me mate just fine,there is nothing that compares to peace and quiet at the side of a lake

locustfurnace
08-14-2006, 06:14 PM
I just wanted to say hello! and wanted to let people know that I can help if you are having trouble with your older computer... or new computer for that matter.

If you are in the mood, you can review previous postings in the forums, and answer any questions posted. Even the old unanswered ones are OK to bring back up and add something to them.

Old problems often become a new users problems. If questions are not answered, it does not help.

Using old software also means those users will see the same bugs and issues someone has already experienced.

Ofcourse, the most activity here is centered around finding old apps. So if you can assist in locating such requests it will be appreciated.

Night Guy
08-15-2006, 01:52 AM
welkum in !
happy postingggggg ! :p

garryconn
08-15-2006, 09:41 PM
If you are in the mood, you can review previous postings in the forums, and answer any questions posted. Even the old unanswered ones are OK to bring back up and add something to them.

Old problems often become a new users problems. If questions are not answered, it does not help.

Using old software also means those users will see the same bugs and issues someone has already experienced.

Ofcourse, the most activity here is centered around finding old apps. So if you can assist in locating such requests it will be appreciated.

What are the specifics as far as what is needed here? Just the other day I needed windows 98 service packs and updates... and forgot that the Windows update site stopped supporting it? I could focus on that... do you just need the URL reference to the downloads... or do you need me to download them and some how upload them? How does it work? I can download stuff quick, but unfortunately... I am just a normal highspeed cable Internet guy and my uploading speeds are terrible.

straight talker
08-16-2006, 03:26 PM
hi garry,i think locust was refering to answering and locating requests as and when they are made in the request board,the admin do now and again ask for specific items you will see this by reading through a few threads in the oldversion forum thats the bottom board.stick around you will soon get the jist of it

locustfurnace
08-19-2006, 08:26 AM
do you just need the URL reference to the downloads...

For answering requests for old applications. Active URL's are fine. If a file is to be added to the archive it can be retrieved from posted links easily enough.

The Dude
08-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Hello everyoneWelcome to our site Garry!!

I hope you enjoy it here :)