PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an old Burner...

Lucky Luke
10-23-2006, 05:19 PM
I have an extra CDrom burner from my actual machine that I want to install in my old 486 computer.
It's equipped with DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11 ! Don't laugh!!! ...still running well for specific jobs.
Some of you surely knows a nero version that fits the job.
Or another burner software...
Thanks

Lucky Luke

locustfurnace
10-23-2006, 07:08 PM
That's going to be a very limited request. I am not sure if Nero was even making software for CD recording back in the Windows 3.x days. Considering that CD recording was either not invented for home computers at that time or so expensive that there was limited options. I know CD-RW was introduced in 1997. Not sure exactly when CD-R was. But I do remember owning a 2x write speed Memorex back in 1996/7. But I used it with MS Windows 95. Its likely that if recording was available, it was via SCSI interfaces, not via IDE. As far as there being a selection for Windows 3.1 that was developed back in those days. I am not sure if there were any. Considering that Windows 3.1 was not even capable out-of-the-box of being networked, there is a slim chance there was the necessary structure (ATAPI.dlls) or files for the OS to do CD recording. But this does not mean you can't today. There are a few programs, most commandline apps, for doing CD recording.

Your best bet, if it is an option for you, would be to network a newer machine to this MS WIndows 3.x box and just transfer the files over to it and record on a newer machine. http://www.goldenhawk.com/dos.htm
Golden Hawk Technology still develops and maintains a complete suite of MS-DOS command line utilities for CDROM recording. Many of our customers run these utilities from custom batch files to perform various operations where a graphical interface is neither required nor desirable. We offer both 16-bit and 32-bit versions and all of the utilities support the same devices as our Windows software (except for the 16-bit version, which does not support IDE devices).