PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Publisher Problem

Drunkenmunky
11-03-2006, 03:22 PM
HELP!

This is driving me crazy and hopefully someone out there can help. Whenever I try to download Windows Media 11 I get and "Unknown Publisher" error and it tells me the certificate does not verify.

As I've tried to get it from Old version and the Microsoft site can any help solve this and let me know what I've doe wrong?

Cheers.

D

locustfurnace
11-04-2006, 10:01 AM
That's just an issue with Microsofts' Windows. Its just a warning saying that something with your download is not known to the database of pre-trusted download sites. Its not really something to be concerned with. It's an attempt by Microsoft to let users become aware of when they are downloading files from sites not "approved" via MS Windows.
Listing every single approved site would be impossible.

Certificates lapse, expire. New sites spring forth. As long as you are wanting to download a program from a known site to yourself. And you trust the site, or are running very good Anti-Malware software then accept the certifcate, trust it, and get your file.

If you let a warning like this, which will happen more and more often as MS Windows grows more outdate, you will be crippling yourself to what you can do on the Internet.

The Dude
11-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Welcome to the site my friend!!!

Good luck with your issue :)

elevatn
12-01-2006, 07:36 PM
I have the same problem trying to install media player 11. Just tried to install a number on non-critical updates and they all fail.

Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1
Update for Windows XP (KB896344)
Update for WMDRM-enabled Media Players (KB902344)
Microsoft Base Smart Card Cryptographic Service Provider Package: x86 (KB909520)
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0: x86 (KB829019)
Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client 6.0) for Windows XP (KB925876)
Windows Media Player 11

Any ideas?