PDA

View Full Version : WinMx Connection Issues

eLySiuM
10-19-2002, 07:10 AM
I am using WinMX 2.60 because the newer version uses system resources a lot. I downloaded it from here but after installing it, it doesn't connect to any of the servers. I know this is not caused from this site. But is there anyone facing this problem?? I need help.

Drew
10-20-2002, 05:09 PM
I believe that any versions older than the current 3.3 will refuse to connect to the WinMX servers. You can still use it with OpenNap, but Frontcode is locking out all old versions to get people to upgrade.

Greg
12-25-2002, 07:43 PM
None of the winmx 3 series besides 3.2 works so they could lower the matience cost.

BAR|||||
03-16-2003, 06:23 PM
huh ...

what are talking about bro ... i have the must recent version and it&#39;s connects perfectly everytime I use .. you must have one slow connection or might need to tweak it to work faster for you <_<

Raymond
03-18-2003, 05:55 AM
[FONT=Courier][COLOR=red]

I have the same problem the oldest version of WINMX can&#39;t find by connect any servers&#33;?&#33;?&#33;??
And when i start the program WINMX,WINMX tries to find some servers,but he never find one&#33;&#33;

Sorry for mu bad english i&#39;m from holland&#33;&#33; :rolleyes:

Is there somebody who can help mehow to find servers to download from&#33;?&#33;

ur mum
03-18-2003, 12:20 PM
winxmx 2.6 is the only good winmx the new ones suck

03-18-2003, 12:20 PM
these faces rule

Dorothy Jones
04-06-2004, 05:04 AM
I purchased winmix a few months ago and now I have a new computer and I can&#39;t figure out how to get win mix back. Would someone please help. Please e-mail me at cptjnway@iland.net

locustfurnace
04-06-2004, 07:51 AM
Try the main homepage for downloading the program.
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=winmx

pun
04-07-2004, 08:28 AM
Which program are you refering to Dorothy?

WinMX the P2P file sharing program?

WinMX is a FREE file-sharing program that allows you to connect, download, and share files with other users through the WinMX Peer Network.

or

Win Mix win radio?

WINMIX IS A SOFTWARE OF RADIO DIFFUSION FOR THE INTERNET RADIOS,

THE BACK MUSIC IN THE STORES, THE RESTAURANTS...

IT IS A SOLUTION COMPLETE INCLUDING:

The recording of the analog sources: tapes, vinyls directly with professional format MP2, compression in real time and direct acquisition on the hard disk. Management multi disks hard and direct acces to the database.

The grabbing of the files sounds on your Cd rom with a connection with the Internet site www.CDDB.com for an automatic titration of your Cd audios, the software directly compresses you the files to record with professional format MP2 and adds your title directly in the category of the database.

The organization of your musical database according to your needs and your musical format. To manage an unlimited number of categories and titles.Each title has an information sheet which makes it possible to define criteria of rotation for the musical Programming, of which tempo, the year... but also for the mixings the intro, the refrain.....

The programming of your play lists manually or automatically by creating template of lists personalized in order to generate programs of musics and jingles for many hours by avance.

The preparation of your programs in " mix automatic " with points of mixing defined by defect or be the DJ by mixing you even and by scheduling your "on air" with your voice track, you can preparer an unlimited number of "on air".

The diffusion of your files its with stretch in real time, which allows you accelerate or to slow down the tempo of the discs without modifying the octave in progress. A diffusion into live assist or completely automatic according to your need.

If it&#39;s the second one, the internet radio then here seems to be the download link:

http://winradio.free.fr/

locustfurnace
04-07-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by pun@Apr 7 2004, 08:28 AM
Which program are you refering to Dorothy?
Perfect example why the Howto Request an App (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=1585) was created, to eliminate the possibilty of confusion. I read the winmix was a typo, and thought it should have read winmx.

If posters dont clarify what they are seeking, mistakes can and will happen.

guest_Brian
07-09-2004, 08:05 PM
if no version of winmx over 3.3 will connect to the servers, and they are locking out old versions of winmx to get people to upgrade to the versions that dont connect, then wouldn&#39;t that render the software useless? All it would be is just a useless piece of software doing nothing except taking up your hard drive space. lol

WinMX is useless enough as it is. What&#39;s the point of making it worse?

SoberTillNoon
07-10-2004, 12:54 AM
thank you for that last bit.

07-10-2004, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by SoberTillNoon@Jul 10 2004, 12:54 AM
thank you for that last bit.
kinda wasteful for a member to be posting ? i believe the mod prefers informative additions to threads and not pointless comments, if your just inflating your post count cuz your new here dont bother people are not impressed by a large post count its the content of posts that is important not the amount of them

steve h
07-10-2004, 06:37 AM
hi all,on my pc there&#39;s only 98 mb ram,,,i can&#39;t load win,mx,when i do load it,it goes so slow,eg press on a key and it takes about 20 sec&#39;s for the button to bepress on the screen,is this a ram to little problem,,,
thanks for any help,,steve

07-10-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by steve h@Jul 10 2004, 06:37 AM
hi all,on my pc there&#39;s only 98 mb ram,,,i can&#39;t load win,mx,when i do load it,it goes so slow,eg press on a key and it takes about 20 sec&#39;s for the button to bepress on the screen,is this a ram to little problem,,,
thanks for any help,,steve
try checking on a p2p forum for minimum system requirements on p2p apps, also this post should not of been in the requests section it needing placing under programs or even general, the requests section is for just that, requesting of software

SoberTillNoon
07-10-2004, 11:09 AM
Sorry, but I have hated WinMX for a long time, and, well, I am glad to see someone sharing my oppinion. That is all. But, uh, I can look into the problem. Yeah, sure, I can try it. Wait nevermind. The thread has been resolved. There is nothing more to further because versions below 3.3 have been dissallowed. The most I could is host the same open nap servers that you download from WimMX, but there is no gaurentee of that working for him/her. But I will try, I suppose.

-That conversation with myself brought to you by, W-

SoberTillNoon
07-10-2004, 11:28 AM
Hey, eLySiuM, right click and download this file here: http://sobertillnoon.com/PUBLIC%2020040708...11pilone(2).wsx (http://sobertillnoon.com/PUBLIC%2020040708%2020040709%2020040710%2020040711 pilone(2).wsx) If you go to it, you will get a text document, so you have to use the right clicking.
What you need to do is under ntworks click on the "opennap protocol networks" button then "import .wsx" Find this file, and many many open nap servers will be in the list for you to connect to. Again, this might not work, for your older version, but I am confident that it might.

-W-

bmh67wa
07-10-2004, 12:07 PM
WinMX also has the ability to connect to OpenNap servers, a function that has worked in WinMX from their first to their latest versions. Their own internal network changed and the newer versions have been changed to work with it but the program isn&#39;t "useless" just because it&#39;s an older version and their network has changed. Just consider it as a program with some features disabled. I see no one complaining that older versions of Yahoo&#33; Messenger are not working and thus requiring a user to upgrade to it&#39;s newest version for full functionality. Plus, it was your choice to use an older version of WinMX. Operating systems and computers themselves have changed a lot since WinMX 2.6 came out. I know several who use the new WinMX with little or no problems. If your computer is that slow then maybe it&#39;s time for you to upgrade, the same thing that the makers of WinMX and many other programs do to improve their software. Hence, the reason why there are so many versions of the same program and the reason as to why Olderversion.com exists&#33; :)

locustfurnace
07-10-2004, 03:32 PM
Unlikely this is a RAM issue. 98megs of RAM is ample amounts, if your not running 2 dozen and a half apps at the same time ofcourse.
The issue may be spyware on your system, which was loaded, installed when you installed whatever p2p app it was.
Look on the forum for spyware removing tools. this might render that offending software useless once its packed helping apps are removed, so be warned of that.

kukm66
07-11-2004, 02:56 PM
I am experiencing a major problem with my sources timing out with some disconnect issues as well.
I am losing over 50% of my sources after they have been queued. This happenened shorly after trying to install MxMonitor. I was using Mx 3.53 but deleted it and tried 3.3, but the problem is consistent.
When it is time for the queued position to start downloading, I cannot get a connect and lose the source. This is getting ridiculous&#33;&#33;&#33; I have never had this problem before with any versions of WinMx.
I am running Windows XP with cable ISP(fast&#33;&#33;&#33;). I tried changing the TCP ports to steer away from 6257 and 6699 but that did not help.

Can anyone with expertise in this area shed some light on this problem?
Please state in detail some things I might try. I am an advanced computer and have the capabilities to enter the registry if possible.

07-11-2004, 04:23 PM
not many p2p users around here you may want to check out http://www.vladd44.com/phpbb2/index.php this link is a p2p forum which has a dedicated section for winmx problems

guest_Brian
07-14-2004, 02:31 PM
if this question has been asked before i apologize but i tried the search function and the topic never came up.

I am using Win MX 3.53 and i am constantly getting flamed by other users because i wont share files. The problem is that it just wont let me upload file to other users and the program constantly times them. It has timed out every user that tried to download from me. I don&#39;t mind sharing files and i would gladly let them have it, but ever since the day i installed that program it has timed out every user that tried to get a file. is there a way that i can fix this?

Again: sorry if this has been asked before

-- Brian

SoberTillNoon
07-14-2004, 09:08 PM
Hmm.... That happens to me as well. For some reason, everyone times out on me. However, I have never had the problem you have had.

As for a solution, if you have a firewall, try opening up port 6699 and 6257 -or- go to settings>internet connection>incoming tcp connections and select the other option. then go to the settings>internet connection>in/out UDP packets and do likewise.

If that does not fix your problem, I will try to help further.

-W-

07-15-2004, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by guest_Brian@Jul 14 2004, 02:31 PM
if this question has been asked before i apologize but i tried the search function and the topic never came up.

I am using Win MX 3.53 and i am constantly getting flamed by other users because i wont share files. The problem is that it just wont let me upload file to other users and the program constantly times them. It has timed out every user that tried to download from me. I don&#39;t mind sharing files and i would gladly let them have it, but ever since the day i installed that program it has timed out every user that tried to get a file. is there a way that i can fix this?

Again: sorry if this has been asked before

-- Brian
even if the search results came back 0 , always add to an existing thread of the same topic, it just helps to keep all relative information on a particular topic together instead of spread all over the forum and making harder for others to find for instance 2 other threads were started on this subject in the last 3 days adding to one of those would of been better than starting a new one , and would of also brought it back up to the top of the forum and so would of got noticed just the same as a new thread would of

wyreswolf
07-28-2004, 01:30 AM
i have windows xp an have downloaded winmx 3.1 but it wont let me connect. as i was downloading it said about admins or somethin to bhe able to use this old version. can anyone help

locustfurnace
07-28-2004, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by wyreswolf@Jul 28 2004, 01:30 AM
it said about admins or somethin to bhe able to use this old version.
Sounds like you do not have permissions to install software on your XP account. Log in as the Admin, so that you can install the software.

yulog
12-15-2004, 11:41 PM
anyone know why win mx stopped working ever since last week i started having trouble with it --i could see people im my que but everyone said they couldnt see me in theres---so i tried downloading the new version and yesterday---itwas having the same problem + now it wont connect at all prior to this most people who tried to download would just disconnect-----ive tried 3 times tonight to delete and download both the old version and the new with no luck---anyone with any info/help i would be very appreciative---i just dont get it --its like its steadily gotten worse in the last week------confused(mike)

straight talker
12-16-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by yulog@Dec 16 2004, 12:41 AM
anyone know why win mx stopped working ever since last week i started having trouble with it --i could see people im my que but everyone said they couldnt see me in theres---so i tried downloading the new version and yesterday---itwas having the same problem + now it wont connect at all prior to this most people who tried to download would just disconnect-----ive tried 3 times tonight to delete and download both the old version and the new with no luck---anyone with any info/help i would be very appreciative---i just dont get it --its like its steadily gotten worse in the last week------confused(mike)
sorry mate but there are not many p2p users at oldversion which is why links to filesharing forums are usually posted, if you read back through this thread you will see a link to a filesharing forum that has a section just for winmx problems its dated july 11 in this thread , alternately you could try www.p2pzone.com

weenden
01-18-2005, 07:02 PM
how do you get the winmx peer cache to work it does not update it just runs through and stops the only thing i can get on is private servers

straight talker
01-19-2005, 07:32 AM
try asking at a de icated forum such as http://www.p2pzone.com/ they are far more able to answer you as they are dedicated file sharers, and members her for the most part do not use these apps

Darryl Mundo
02-05-2005, 10:06 PM
I have paid for the latest version of WinMX 3.53. I must say it stinks. I am on cable and it is the slowest thing I have ever used.

I had to go to another site just to download music. On an average it took 15- an hour to get three songs downloaded.

BUYER BEWARE&#33;&#33;&#33; There is no way to contact your company. I am totally dissatisified and will be telling everyone about your poor service and total lack of customer service.

I wish I never spent the &#036;36 bucks for this service. :angry:

locustfurnace
02-06-2005, 01:44 AM
Contact the developers of WinMX, not Oldversion.com.
This is just an archive, and none of these programs are supported, developed or created at oldversion.com.
This is just a place to find older programs no longer developed by their creators.

coneyaw
02-22-2005, 04:46 PM
I love WinMX, and I have for years. I only use it to download songs and videos because I don&#39;t quite trust other people. Anyways, recently, I&#39;ve been noticing that when I search for any of the top songs as determined by Billboard (http://www.billboard.com/bb/charts/singles_index.jsp), many users will have many "copies" of the same song with different file names. This is normal, but upon further inspection, every result that turns up is a freakin copy, and when you try to download them, there&#39;s no connection. I&#39;m wondering if anyone else is having this problem, and if so, do you know how to fix it?. If not, I have no way to download any good songs so I&#39;m looking for another program to replace it. I dont want any spyware or adware obviously. I also want a program with quick downloads and lots of search results. Interface doesn&#39;t matter much to me.

Thanks for any help&#33;

02-23-2005, 11:02 AM
if ya cannot pay for your stuff then ya just a sad internet scrounger

ladyk1259
03-14-2005, 01:28 PM
[COLOR=purple]Does anyone know how to move music from your media player to winmx?I can&#39;t seem to transfer my files.

03-14-2005, 03:51 PM
your files surely are not stored in media player your media player has only playlists which reference to a place on your hard disc c where the files are stored.you may want to consider adding the folder where your music is stored to the list of shared media in winmx or just copy and paste them into the music library of winmx,if you try and copy them from media player you will only transfer a playlist,for all other advice try www.p2pzone.com for winmx advice its the filesharers heaven

M3ta7h3ad
04-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Darryl Mundo@Feb 5 2005, 11:06 PM
I have paid for the latest version of WinMX 3.53. I must say it stinks. I am on cable and it is the slowest thing I have ever used.

I had to go to another site just to download music. On an average it took 15- an hour to get three songs downloaded.

BUYER BEWARE&#33;&#33;&#33; There is no way to contact your company. I am totally dissatisified and will be telling everyone about your poor service and total lack of customer service.

Eh?&#33; wtf.. winmx is a free program, you dont need to pay for it.

04-13-2005, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by M3ta7h3ad+Apr 12 2005, 05:32 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (M3ta7h3ad @ Apr 12 2005, 05:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Darryl Mundo@Feb 5 2005, 11:06 PM

Eh?&#33; wtf.. winmx is a free program, you dont need to pay for it. [/b][/quote]
100% true winmx is free its the music and video and copyrighted programs and software you should be paying for you scroungers

Stank_Chair
04-13-2005, 08:29 AM
For one -nobody pays for the upgraded "pro" or "better" version of FREE VERSIONS of software (p2p or w/e)
becuase if it was worth one penny more, it would be in a box sealed with plastic and have a little yellow sticker
on it that says "best buy" or "compusa" and be sitting on a wire rack.. you use the free or tial version of the p2p software to download what they would have wished could have been found in a box sealed with plastic and have a little yellow sticker on it that says "best buy" or "compusa" and be sitting on a wire rack.. lol...

04-17-2005, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Stank_Chair@Apr 13 2005, 08:29 AM
For one -nobody pays for the upgraded "pro" or "better" version of FREE VERSIONS of software (p2p or w/e)
becuase if it was worth one penny more, it would be in a box sealed with plastic and have a little yellow sticker
on it that says "best buy" or "compusa"
a typical p2p leech,no one pays ?if p2p were dead and buried people would not have to pay such high prices as the developers would get more income,your statement of no one pays is totally innacurate as honest people do pay just as p2p users should, would all the leeches who acquire their programs and stuff mind if part of their yearly income was reduced because people were stealing part of their wages,i think they definitely would mind, if you were a fisherman and part of your catch was stolen from your boat daily would you mind, i think you would.its honest folk who pay for their programs cds and stuff who pay for leeches as it puts up prices to help cover this huge loss that scroungers create.

Stank_Chair
04-17-2005, 09:10 PM
Well many here claim not to be warez leeches or "mis-users" of p2p software, but there
not exactly using "said" software for downloading demo&#39;s and sharing pictures of each
others grandmothers either.. (if and when they themselves choose to use a p2p client)

locustfurnace
04-17-2005, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Stank_Chair@Apr 17 2005, 09:10 PM
Well many here claim not to be warez leeches or "mis-users" of p2p software, but there
not exactly using "said" software for downloading demo&#39;s and sharing pictures of each
others grandmothers either.. (if and when they themselves choose to use a p2p client)
Bit Torrent in a P2P app which has widely been accepted as the first channel for posting GNU/Linux distros, even before FTP sites are updated with the latest ISO&#39;s. This is a legal use of the program, and not an illegal use of the technology.
Its extremely popular amongst the GNU community for sharing, saving bandwidth costs and making access easy for those seeking the latest distros.

Stank_Chair
04-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by locustfurnace+Apr 17 2005, 11:51 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (locustfurnace @ Apr 17 2005, 11:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Stank_Chair@Apr 17 2005, 09:10 PM
Bit Torrent in a P2P app which has widely been accepted as the first channel for posting GNU/Linux distros, even before FTP sites are updated with the latest ISO&#39;s. This is a legal use of the program, and not an illegal use of the technology.
Its extremely popular amongst the GNU community for sharing, saving bandwidth costs and making access easy for those seeking the latest distros.[/b][/quote]
"Torrents" are widely used for the illegal distribution of pirated software and music/movie&#39;s/video&#39;s ect...
the minisicule amount of linux "iso&#39;s" and gnu community use hardly justifies the popularity of bit torrent and other p2p type file sharing programs out there. the popularity is in the illegal use of said programs. not because somebody wants the latest distro of "knoppix" for example. most popular activity involving the distribution of linux iso&#39;s are generaly available thru "http" mirrors at many of the larger universitys across our country.

straight talker
04-19-2005, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Stank_Chair+Apr 18 2005, 11:59 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Stank_Chair @ Apr 18 2005, 11:59 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -locustfurnace@Apr 17 2005, 11:51 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Stank_Chair@Apr 17 2005, 09:10 PM
Its extremely popular amongst the GNU community for sharing, saving bandwidth costs and making access easy for those seeking the latest distros.
"Torrents" are widely used for the illegal distribution of pirated software and music/movie&#39;s/video&#39;s ect...
the minisicule amount of linux "iso&#39;s" and gnu community use hardly justifies the popularity of bit torrent and other p2p type file sharing programs out there. the popularity is in the illegal use of said programs. not because somebody wants the latest distro of "knoppix" for example. most popular activity involving the distribution of linux iso&#39;s are generaly available thru "http" mirrors at many of the larger universitys across our country. [/b][/quote]
if you like illegal activities thats fine but dont expect honest folk to have it shovelled into them thay are NOT interested, being a leeching troll is fine just go find a site that appreciates that kind of thing as this one doesnt, this thread is gone off topic now so no more replies will be posted on the subject

locustfurnace
04-21-2005, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Stank_Chair@Apr 18 2005, 11:59 AM
the minisicule amount of linux "iso&#39;s" and gnu community use hardly justifies the popularity of bit torrent and other p2p type file sharing programs out there. the popularity is in the illegal use of said programs. not because somebody wants the latest distro of "knoppix" for example. most popular activity involving the distribution of linux iso&#39;s are generaly available thru "http" mirrors at many of the larger universitys across our country.
You obviously are not a user of GNU Software.
The statement was to show that there is indeed legal usage of bit torrent technology. Not to state that the only use of torrents is such.
There is no a miniscule amount of GNu/Linux ISO&#39;s either. There are several hundreds distros available, not counting the *BSD Camp, embedded market either.
Yes, it was common to ftp your ISO before, but now, most, such as Mandrake for example, and releasing on Torrents first, before loading to ftp.

As stated, this is going off topic.

mhrunge
09-21-2005, 02:56 PM
What happen to winmx?? seems to be off line..

Mark

Sherriej3
09-21-2005, 09:10 PM
I have not been able to connect for 2 days now. I get an error message when going to their website also.

the gaffer
09-22-2005, 07:41 AM
best advice going is ask here www.p2pzone.com

emf20
09-22-2005, 10:58 AM
They got closed down, Finally.

Try reading the online news. ;)

the gaffer
09-22-2005, 11:56 AM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/22/p2p_networks_darken/ have a read

stivrex
09-22-2005, 12:44 PM
hi, im a student at a community college. i have a laptop that has wifi capability. i dont have internet access at home, i want to dl stuff from winmx and tried to while connected at school, but it never worked. i tried to get help from winmxhelp, but it never came up for me(?!). so, do i have to do something with a proxy server thingy or do i have to find out about the schools connection or what? any help is greatly appreciated. :confused:
i should also add that im not a super computer guy, so please bear that in mind if you want to help.
by the way, a guy recommended to me that i use limewire instead, that i wouldnt have the problems im having, what do you think?

the gaffer
09-22-2005, 04:13 PM
welcome to oldversion,firstly if you had read the post below yours then you would of seen that winmx is now shut down according to news on the internet,apparently no one has been able to connect for a couple of days,please read past postings on this subject and you will see that this has been covered before,most likely your scholl/college has blocked this type of software from being used on their connections and you could be in big trouble if you find a way round this,your best option would be to speak your head of IT or your head of year or even the principle to ask for permission and if its not allowed then accept that.when i get a moment i will search past posting and point you to a couple of threads containing more info.

sike
09-29-2005, 11:55 AM
Check out this solution to be able to connect to the new winmx network :

http://www.agrreviews.com/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=31

:D

sike
09-29-2005, 11:56 AM
Then check out this nice solution i found to be able to connect to the new winmx network :)

sike
09-29-2005, 11:57 AM

the gaffer
09-29-2005, 12:43 PM

no need to add this to every winmx thread,this could be viewed as spamming.this is not a p2p forum never has been never will be

nimd4
10-16-2005, 12:01 PM
yea but there is a WinMX patch going around that'll make it work again and to get around your school's system if they're blocking p2p, you could use a tunneling proxy (program) ..

gregrocko762
10-22-2005, 09:30 PM
I’m on Comcast Internet and have not used WinMX for a few months try to log on but does not connect, thought it was my wireless hub so connected directly to modem but still nothing happening.
Any suggestion?

the gaffer
10-23-2005, 02:53 AM
a shining example of why the forums have a search feature,this has been asked and answered before very recently.winmx pulled the plug a while back and therefore it no longer works, a couple recent threads had info on getting a new version that apparently still works,check through a few threads for winmx for the last month and you will find the answer on where to get it in them threads.

MsPackerMom4
10-25-2005, 07:23 AM
taken from... http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=921

now this hasnt helped me ((YET)) :o :confused: :( i still cannot connect to winmx...without purchasing it outright and if i wanted that i would just get a much better program (obviously thats why we have the internet so we all can share files and stuff :D anyways hope this articles helps someone... and maybe... someone can help me..

WinMX PNP Network Mysteriously Ends Operations
September 21, 2005
Thomas Mennecke

WinMX began its time as a simple OpenNap client in a time when Napster and Scour ruled the P2P scene. When Napster and Scour were banished from the Internet, WinMX's importance took on a new burden of importance. It reinvented itself from a mere OpenNap client to become one of the premier P2P networks of its day.

Update: Please read this article for reconnecting to the WinMX network.

During its height, WinMX, developed by FrontCode Technologies, eclipsed the Napster P2P network in not only resourcefulness, but also in population. During mid-2002, its population had reached over 1.5 million simultaneous users. With an active community, plenty of independent user forums and steady development it appeared there was nothing that could stop this network.

Then something mysterious happened. From July 2003 to July 2004, there were no updates to WinMX - nothing to improve the network architecture, the dreaded queues or any other attributes. Then in July 2004 after nearly a year of frustration, FrontCode released addition betas which many perceived as a mere "filler" versions. Version 3.53 did little more than feature “a major upgrade of the chat component and other minor improvements." Another beta version (3.54) was subsequently released, which improved the media library.

That would be the last anyone would hear from WinMX ever again. Slyck maintained communications with FrontCode president Kevin Hearn, who stated that work was still being continued on the mystical version 4.0. During the early part of the summer, Mr. Hearn told Slyck.com that something might be available towards the end of the 2005 summer.

However, another plot twist appears to have mixed things up once again. On September 13, 2005, WinMX was the recipient of a letter (along with 6 other P2P firms) from the RIAA. The letter demanded the receiving developers they cease infrin
ging operations immediately, and offered to "discuss pre-litigation resolution of these claims."

Like Alberto Treves' decision to release the source of Ares Galaxy, or Sam Yagan's decision to join the DCIA, every move a P2P developer makes is immediately questioned to be in direct response to the RIAA's letter campaign. Such is the case for FrontCode Technologies. Or should we say WinMX Technology Associates?

Currently, the WinMX.com homepage, the FrontCode.com homepage, the WinMX PNP Network and all of its host caches are down. It is impossible to connect to the network, and those remaining online will only stay online as long as their host supernodes do. But is this the end of WinMX?

Perhaps not. Interestingly enough, if one conducts a DNS whois for "WinMX.com", the result directs owner ship to a "WinMX Technology Associates" - not FrontCode Technologies as it has in the past. Even more interesting is the geographical relocation from Toronto, Canada to Port Vila, Vanuatu. Many will remember that Sharman Networks pulled a similar stunt to avoid prosecution in the Netherlands and to capitalize on "tax efficiencies."

FrontCode.com is still registered in Canada. Kevin Hearn, who is usually readily available for comment with Slyck.com, has not responded to inquiries for several weeks.

Before anyone clamors the end of the WinMX PNP network, time needs to be given to allow for this development to unfold. Although it appears WinMX.com was reregistered prior to this event, its occurrence cannot be downplayed until this fluid situation is resolved.

chelseablue
11-07-2005, 02:47 PM
i would like to know if wnmix still works or not? can some-one please answer this question for me

the gaffer
11-07-2005, 03:41 PM
hi mate, check out this thread http://www.oldversion.com/talk/showthread.php?t=2950 always try a search before posting new topics as many have been asked and answered before

keth
12-18-2005, 10:00 AM
Was Old Winmx User Have Just Found Your Site And Joined
Would Like To Get Back On Don T Know How I Have Had So Much
Trouble With Other Crappy Sites In Ever Had Any Trouble With Winmx
Wat So Ever Please Please Help

the gaffer
12-18-2005, 12:36 PM
this was already asked and covered recently,please p use the search feature and read before posting, it gets you an answer far faster.

Sapphire
01-01-2006, 10:24 AM
If you are like I am and are lacking in the "technical skills" department, but at the same time, miss using WinMX (http://www.vladd44.com/mx/), there is a quick, easy and free solution it is called MXPIE (http://www.MXPie.com). There is no spyware or anything else bundled with it. For those a little more savvy and courageous, there is even a manual option.

So come on back to WinMX, and download to your hearts content. Thanks to these updates, not even the power of the RIAA can stop a network.

IF you have downloaded WinMX and still cannot connect, you can even get personalized realtime help. Just go to this link WinMX Channels (http://www.vladd44.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6514) Copy the Room name appropriate for your Language and paste it into your WinMX chat screen, then press the Join Button. This works on version 3.53 and up even if you are not connected. It allows you to join into chatrooms set up for you to get immediate help.

Everything you need at the MXPIE Website (http://www.MXPie.com) Free and Spyware free.

I have also found a site for Computer problem (http://www.gemini777.net) that is nice, prompt and VERY helpful. If there is a problem you need an answer to, they can help.

Realtime help available for WinMX 3.53 users having trouble getting connected. Go to WinMX Channels (http://www.vladd44.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6514).

briandurant2002
01-19-2006, 06:15 PM
I just would like to know why WinMX does not work anymore I have downloaded it in the Past and it worked just fine . And now I have tried to download it just now and now it does not work . Does anyone have any news about WinMX and tell me why it is not working ?

locustfurnace
01-20-2006, 02:14 AM
I just would like to know why WinMX does not work anymore I have downloaded it in the Past and it worked just fine . And now I have tried to download it just now and now it does not work . Does anyone have any news about WinMX and tell me why it is not working ?

A little searching, a little thread merging... And the answer appears.

briandurant2002
01-20-2006, 02:26 AM
A little searching, a little thread merging... And the answer appears.

What can I do to Fix Winmx to get it to work ?

briandurant2002
01-20-2006, 02:46 AM
If you are like I am and are lacking in the "technical skills" department, but at the same time, miss using WinMX (http://www.vladd44.com/mx/), there is a quick, easy and free solution it is called MXPIE (http://www.MXPie.com). There is no spyware or anything else bundled with it. For those a little more savvy and courageous, there is even a manual option.

So come on back to WinMX, and download to your hearts content. Thanks to these updates, not even the power of the RIAA can stop a network.

IF you have downloaded WinMX and still cannot connect, you can even get personalized realtime help. Just go to this link WinMX Channels (http://www.vladd44.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6514) Copy the Room name appropriate for your Language and paste it into your WinMX chat screen, then press the Join Button. This works on version 3.53 and up even if you are not connected. It allows you to join into chatrooms set up for you to get immediate help.

Everything you need at the MXPIE Website (http://www.MXPie.com) Free and Spyware free.

I have also found a site for Computer problem (http://www.gemini777.net) that is nice, prompt and VERY helpful. If there is a problem you need an answer to, they can help.

Realtime help available for WinMX 3.53 users having trouble getting connected. Go to WinMX Channels (http://www.vladd44.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6514).

I have tried everything this said and My Winmx still does not work is there something I'm doing wrong ?

briandurant2002
01-22-2006, 02:49 AM
WinMX is not working I have been trying to get on WinMX for about 2 weeks and it's still not working .

the gaffer
01-22-2006, 03:48 PM
WinMX is not working I have been trying to get on WinMX for about 2 weeks and it's still not working .

you already stated this and repeating it will not magically make a response appear,perhaps someone will drop in that can help but be aware that many users here do not use p2p software,you could if you want, try a search at a dedicated filesharing forum such as www.p2pzone.com

locustfurnace
01-22-2006, 07:00 PM
you already stated this and repeating it will not magically make a response appear...
No, It won't magically get answered by repeating it, but it does magically get the threads merged. Not too many posters seem to believe that posting into existing threads is a good notion. They would rather create their own than amend on top of an "old" one.

Yes, not many regulars here use P2P, maybe none of the "regulars" in fact. Even though the software is archived here, does not mean the Forum members use all those titles.

straight talker
01-23-2006, 04:42 PM
are folk actually still using these virus infected dud file flooded trojan carrying freak attracting no hope networks/i thought it was all dead and gone long since/if you want your pc full of crap that badly just remove the side and take a dump in it no need to download any

briandurant2002
01-23-2006, 09:47 PM
you already stated this and repeating it will not magically make a response appear,perhaps someone will drop in that can help but be aware that many users here do not use p2p software,you could if you want, try a search at a dedicated filesharing forum such as www.p2pzone.com

I went to that Forum and I did not see anything about WinMX at all I might have over looked it of something I'm not sure .

coyote233
01-23-2006, 10:47 PM
http://www.winmxisback.com/download.html

go here and get back to doing what we all like to do..

research' ing....

as a researcher you are allowed to do anything you want to.

Glad to help all; that need my notes... use for your own research , i allow full use of.

briandurant2002
01-24-2006, 05:53 AM
WinMX is not working for me does it work for anyone here at this Forum ? Because it's still connecting . It has been doing that for about 2 hours and it's still connecting what is wrong with WinMX ?

Sapphire
01-30-2006, 01:36 PM
Briandurant2002, my apologies for not replying earlier ...

To get connected to WinMX ...

1) Go here : http://mxpie.com/downloads.html

2) Click on Pie Automatic Installer

3) Hit Save and then save into a folder you call MXPatch 2.9

4) Run and install the MXPie Patch v2.9.exe from that folder

5) Go here : http://mxpie.com/downloads.html

6) Click on Mirror 2 of WinMX 3.53

7) Hit Save and save the winmx into a folder you call WinMX 3.53

8) Run and Install the WinMX353.exe from that folder

You should connect then. If you do not connect ... Hit Chat on your WinMX, hit continue, and at the black space right of Filter, copy and paste this room name : Vladd44 Help Channel_5F6505501A22 and hit Join ... there will be people there to help you get connected. Any problems, feel free to post again or email me at Sapphire@mebs.us

I will help you :)

bigjacket
02-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Like a lot of people I was disappointed by the closure of WinMx. I saw a couple of sites where people said it was back up and running albeit a bit shaky as several hubs were being used and these were alternating to prevent any probs from 'The man'. I re-installed WinMx but can't connect. Am I chasing a dream, or is it out there somewhere and if so how do I join?

straight talker
02-08-2006, 06:07 PM
your not chasing a dream buddy ,your in one , standard practice on any forum is search before posting, if youde tried this you would of found threads already here about the same subject and answers as well as to how you can connect ,i dont know if they work because i dont use p2p (i pay 2 play )and not many members here use them either, if any. a highly recommended site for this type of problem is www.p2pzone.com where filesharers hangout.

Sapphire
03-05-2006, 09:15 AM

mattster19
03-27-2006, 06:45 PM
When I install it and when I pick my connection, I click next and it says " Sorry, Please Try Again " HELPP!!!!!

the gaffer
03-28-2006, 01:11 AM
http://www.oldversion.com/talk/showthread.php?t=3217

blerick
04-01-2006, 04:48 PM
i can't even get winmx to connect, this problem started about 2 months ago, i even downloaded other versions but no luck. i even checked the fire wall but no luck,
can anyone help me out?

the gaffer
04-02-2006, 12:39 PM
try searching,if you cannot help yourself then perhaps others wont bother,this has been asked and covered before.

eskippyca
04-14-2006, 09:36 AM
ok ,, so i guess i have not tried to run this program in some time ,, cause i can't seem to connect ,, they told me to come here ,, so ,,, here i am ,, can i get a helping hand please ,,,, so much new music out there to listen to ,,,,:) ,, ok ,, so i have version 3.53 up and running ,, but all i am getting is a flashing yellow light ,,, ok ,, now i will leave it to you guys please ,,,, HELP !!!!!!

the gaffer
04-14-2006, 12:07 PM
ok ,, so i guess i have not tried to run this program in some time ,, cause i can't seem to connect ,, they told me to come here ,, so ,,, here i am ,, can i get a helping hand please ,,,, so much new music out there to listen to ,,,,:) ,, ok ,, so i have version 3.53 up and running ,, but all i am getting is a flashing yellow light ,,, ok ,, now i will leave it to you guys please ,,,, HELP !!!!!!

you really need to search before posting mate,winmx was shut down a while back and since there has been questions and answers as to how to connect,i dont personally use p2p stuff but have read postings about this recently,always add to an existing thread where possible and whilst looking for such threads many people find the answer they wanted anyway and it keeps all relevent information together.

rockst2r
05-06-2006, 03:35 PM
I'm new here and been having trouble with winmx v3.53..at first when I was doing the application it asked me some questions I did not understand what they were about..so I just say yes for everything....now that I've been trying to log in to the network, it just flashes the yellow bar...for connecting..but it's not cause I've had it for 5 minutes and nothing works.....do I need a certain program for it to work???

If i wasn't supposed to post this here..sorry. I didn't know where to post it.

Thanks!!!

the gaffer
05-07-2006, 05:39 AM
it is always advised to search before posting,im sure this has been covered before more than once,read through a few winmx threads http://www.oldversion.com/talk/search.php?searchid=104433

Chip92103
06-26-2006, 12:50 PM
OK, I searched and still can not find the answer to my question. I could really use some help.
My original question is:

I downloaded WinMX v2.6, then downloaded the patch, have closed and re-opened WinMX, but it keeps saying my server list is empty and asks if I want to download a list of servers.

I say yes, and get a screen with the Peer Networking protocol, and a high and low band protocol statement. When I put my cursor on the High Capacity Network line, some options appear, and I have clicked on Connect All, but nothing happens. I move the cursor over to Update, and something quickly appears and disappears.

How do I get a list of servers and start downloading?

Thanks for any help.

you really need to search before posting mate,winmx was shut down a while back and since there has been questions and answers as to how to connect,i dont personally use p2p stuff but have read postings about this recently,always add to an existing thread where possible and whilst looking for such threads many people find the answer they wanted anyway and it keeps all relevent information together.

Chip92103
06-28-2006, 12:24 AM
I just wanted to say Thanks! I had downloaded WinMX version 4 per a recommendation I saw online but could not get it to connect to any servers. I followed your directions and it works fine. Thanks again!

CM

Briandurant2002, my apologies for not replying earlier ...

To get connected to WinMX ...

1) Go here : http://mxpie.com/downloads.html

2) Click on Pie Automatic Installer

3) Hit Save and then save into a folder you call MXPatch 2.9

4) Run and install the MXPie Patch v2.9.exe from that folder

5) Go here : http://mxpie.com/downloads.html

6) Click on Mirror 2 of WinMX 3.53

7) Hit Save and save the winmx into a folder you call WinMX 3.53

8) Run and Install the WinMX353.exe from that folder

You should connect then. If you do not connect ... Hit Chat on your WinMX, hit continue, and at the black space right of Filter, copy and paste this room name : Vladd44 Help Channel_5F6505501A22 and hit Join ... there will be people there to help you get connected. Any problems, feel free to post again or email me at Sapphire@mebs.us

I will help you :)

Windows 98SE
07-10-2006, 11:09 PM
Winmx is old skool and still running hmmm, I'm using to download music is Shareaza big free alot better then lime,kaz etc

Snapper384
07-19-2006, 10:43 PM
Hello,
Do you have a copy of the patch mentioned on one of the WinMX webpages? Or do you know where I can download this patch. I appreciate any help you can give me concerning this patch. My Username is Snapper384. Also Btrue2U@netsape.com
Snapper384

Snapper384
07-19-2006, 10:45 PM
Hello,
Do you have a copy of the patch mentioned on one of the WinMX webpages? Or do you know where I can download this patch. I appreciate any help you can give me concerning this patch. My Username is Snapper384. Also Btrue2U@netsape.com This is the exact words used on the WinMX webpage: On September 13, 2005, Frontcode Technologies received a cease and desist letter from the RIAA asking them to implement filters to make it impossible for users to download copyrighted material from WinMX, or shut down. Under the threat of litigation, on September 21, 2005 the network and the WinMX homepage were confirmed offline.

WinMX users are suggested to either apply a patch which would connect them to a user-driven WinMX network.

Snapper384

Windows 98SE
07-24-2006, 11:40 AM
Does winmx still work with older verisons? Upload/download?

Spookey Ruben
08-21-2006, 06:28 PM
Alright, now that I have WinMX working (v3.54 for those of you who are not aware that the latest free version is still up and running...) I've created my old chatroom & I remember how to put in the topic, but do I need rcms, or an applicable/similar program, to do things like put up a list of do's & don'ts at the top of the chatroom page? I thought you could add 'all' of that stuff just from the commands that WinMX gave you, given that you were able to create the room at all (i.e. primary connection). I looked up and down the chatlist and FXS and WCS seem to be the two mostly widely used, but are they any better than rcms or are they just different?

Thanks!

Ciao,
Spookey

RTB
08-28-2006, 07:13 PM
Just downloaded WinMx 3.31, when installing the program it was unable to make a outgoing TCP connection to its test servers. I do I get this to work? I have a cable connection

cu20me
08-29-2006, 09:41 PM
I can not figure out why mine is not working any suggestions as to how i might get it to work? it just won't let me convert the .wma files to .mp3 files?

RTB
09-13-2006, 07:09 PM
How do I do that?

the gaffer
09-14-2006, 03:34 AM
always read past postings for tips etc on problems,winmx was taken down a while back and this has already been covered here on the forum more than one work around to get it working was covered in a couple of previous threads.this could well be your problem,use the search button im sure your answer is already covered.

bluecarnation200
09-16-2006, 08:36 PM
:D I wish to thank you all. I have been searching for a way to reconnect to WinMX since it went off last year. I never knew about this forum. But I was searching for something else and ran across this forum a couple of days ago.
I am so excited. I followed this thread and found the answers I needed and I am now connected to winMX using the 3.53 version with the directions for the patch.
Again thank you all for your questions and your answers.

Respectfully
Blue :)

virtualwhispers
11-28-2006, 01:16 PM
I have Winmx working with the patch installed, and accepted by
my firewall.

It searches great and brings back tuns of returns.
I ctrl and pick a lot of what I want to download, but
not one of the 25 or so will even start to download.

They might turn different colors but thats it.

Is there something Im missing, am I still not doing
something right??

MrGee
12-03-2006, 09:46 AM
you need the WinMX patch ... go to www.vladd44.com for the patch & a wealth of WinMX info ... cheers

Pacalis
01-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Hello all, greetings.
I was trying to d/l an old version of WinMx but was unsuccesful. It would d/l but it didn't seem to connect.
Could some one please advise me on the best version to d/l and also any info such as a patch so that it may work.
Your time and assistance are appreciated.
Thank You !

"Peace"

the gaffer
01-04-2007, 03:12 PM
hello,welcome to O.V always a good idea to do a search before posting as many many things have been posted before and in a large number of cases the answers are already there,this is one such question that im sure has been covered before,i am no p2p expert but im sure you will find an answer by searching the forum.

Windows 98SE
01-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Got info on support site about winmx http://www.mxpie.com/

harlzdavidson892
01-08-2007, 04:48 AM
Hi i have downloaded WinMX 3.1 old version and it wont connect i am with broadband and still nothing. can anyone help me please:)

haroldinho
01-10-2007, 06:36 AM
Is winmx down? I've been using it for a few months and this is the first time I can't connect. Can someone confirm?

Windows 2000 Professional
01-10-2007, 07:03 AM
Well found som info winmx is dead http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/22/p2p_networks_darken/

haroldinho
01-10-2007, 07:04 AM
Well found som info winmx is dead http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/22/p2p_networks_darken/

That's from 2005! Yes, winmx was closed but you can still access it. I just can't at the moment.

Beecharmer
11-19-2007, 10:56 PM
Suddenly I cannot get connected to WinMX version 3.54. It says "Connecting" with the yellow bar showing but it never connects to green. I have no idea how to make it work so that I can use WinMX. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am basically a PC Moron. Many TIA.

Beecharmer

moved to existing thread

the gaffer
11-20-2007, 01:46 AM
always wise to search before posting as many such questions as in this case have been covered before and you also find things out quicker.
full search results for winmx. http://www.oldversion.com/talk/search.php?searchid=314789
welcome to oldversion.

Zootopia3000
11-20-2007, 10:14 AM
I even have the WinMX patch and it is now not connecting. I have Comcast cable and it might very well be that Comcast is now blocking WinMX along with LimeWire/FrostWire, Bit-Torrent clients and other file sharing proggies that they have been blocking of recent. Some other ISP's are using the same leased technology to block these apps.

I haven't been happy with Comcast's service and rate hike(s) of recent. I'll be looking into other options very soon... Maybe AT&T Internet/Phone/Cable.

scuzzi
11-28-2007, 03:30 PM
Suddenly I cannot get connected to WinMX version 3.54. It says "Connecting" with the yellow bar showing but it never connects to green. I have no idea how to make it work so that I can use WinMX. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am basically a PC Moron. Many TIA.

Beecharmer

moved to existing thread

As of 11/28, i can no longer connect to WinMX using version 3.53 with patch. Any ideas?

the gaffer
11-28-2007, 04:18 PM
zootopia pointed out he cannot connect and it may be down to service providers blocking p2p. you may get a better/quicker response with this at a filesharing forum such as http://www.p2pforums.com/

Zootopia3000
11-29-2007, 09:15 AM
WinMX has been connecting again of late, but sometimes it will not... Hit and miss. I rarely use P2P proggies anyway... Mainly to download a song to give it a listen rather than rely on those low quality, short preview snippets they give you at such sites like amazon.

ice_rockz
12-16-2007, 05:51 PM
im not real techi here, so i dont really know if your supposed to change something in the setting>> so i dont know if i need to change port numbers or stuff>> coz it aint working its always on yellow never on green> i used to have win mx before and it just connected fine>
but i dont rememebr what version> anyways point is>mine isnt working???
help help help...
can anyone post the correct settings...? nad how to do so?
or is there a site that were supposed to go to...?
thnx a buch
iCe_rockz.
please reply here ill just come back to check on it ayt! rock on \m/

rascal
12-16-2007, 08:55 PM
I`am using winmx 3.53 and run this patch every time if fails to connect seems to work
real well. it`s automatic no need to do any thing just save the patch where you can find it.
and run it when you need it.

http://www.mxpie.info/update.html

dsquared
02-26-2008, 10:41 AM
Is this site still up? How do I reconnect (New computer)?

THREADS MERGED

the gaffer
02-26-2008, 03:10 PM
welcome to oldversion,i merged this post into an existing thread,always a good start to search before posting it saves having to move posts around most things have been asked and answered before giving you a quicker answer.enjoy the forums.

NCFAN
08-12-2008, 02:59 PM
I tried to install winmx(old version) but can not get it to work can anyone help.

I had this on my computer a few months back and when I tried to use it, it would not work so I deleted it from the computer and down loaded it again since then it has not worked.

brid0001
11-24-2008, 12:41 AM
Does anyone know if it is possible to make WinMix work with Verizon Wireless internet? I just downloaded WinMx v3.53 and I have Verizon wireless internet and my WinMix never connects to the internet. Would some one please help me with the conficguration?

Thanks,

Dee

lily-rust
11-30-2008, 03:37 PM
hi. i used to use the old winmx site, on a different computer, back in those lovely days pre-litigation. anyway, i haven't the slightest which version we downloaded to start and now i'm thrown by all the options. any help please?