PDA

View Full Version : [linux Help]

Ripper
01-11-2007, 03:55 AM
Hi, My name is Ripper, i can find LINUX System o some LIVE of LINUX i need if some body can post hear a LINK of LINUX or a LIVE of LINUX.

Windows 2000 SP4
01-11-2007, 08:33 AM
Welcome to site, I like how I see you pc LINUX users come and go around net just makes me laugh

the gaffer
01-11-2007, 09:02 AM
Welcome to site, I like how I see you pc LINUX users come and go around net just makes me laugh

you will be surprised how many people about use both linux and other os as well as ms windows,me being one of them. http://distrowatch.com/

Windows 2000 SP4
01-11-2007, 02:49 PM
I know there is hand full in millions anyway but know there is more windows base computers then there is to others.

If we only could imagine what the numbers would be if we only knew eh

locustfurnace
01-11-2007, 04:59 PM
I know there is hand full in millions anyway but know there is more windows base computers then there is to others.

If we only could imagine what the numbers would be if we only knew eh

My systems run Slackware Linux for my desktop. My laptops have Arch Linux. My homebuilt router is built from FreeBSD. FreeBSD is not Linux either, its based on the BSD UNIX. My brand new iMac Core Duo runs OSX which is built on FreeBSD using the MACHs kernel.

I have a SGI workstation running IRIX, which is UNIX.

I have another box running BeOS and another using QNX, neither are Linux.

Out of the 30+ computers I run. Currently, none have MS Windows installed.

MS Windows runs on most peoples desktops, not by choice either. As most are never given a choice. But where UNIX's and Linux and the BSD family can mostly be found is where it matters mostly today. In the infrastructure of the Internet. The routers, servers, switches, most ISP's use UNIX.
There are more servers running Linux than MS Windows.
Microsoft accounts for only 30% of the servers using Microsoft's platform. While 60% is running on some form of UNIX (Linux, UNIX, BSD...etc.) Now imagine how many webservers exist and that 60% are not Windows. Thats alot of machines that not running Windows.
This very site is hosted on a Linux server.

Microsoft Windows, is mostly found on desktop PC's. While the rest of the computers in the world run on something else.
Currently I am not aware of any Clusterring, Parrellel or Supercomputers running Windows. I also am not aware of people installing Windows on the Big Iron, Main frames. Nor are there any rendering farms using Windows.
I know for all the heart monitoring computers as well as most medical computers, do not run Windows. They use QNX.

NASA's spaceshuttle uses Linux.
Most POS (Point of Sale) uses Linux. TiVO uses Linux. Sony even helped make getting Linux on the PS3 easy.
The Telecommunication system uses UNIX.

Even Microsoft themselves toyed with a UNIX OS, called XENIX. Infact, there is code in their ftp program from BSD UNIX.

Bob3
12-02-2007, 07:21 PM
... you will be surprised how many people about use both linux and other os as well as ms windows,me being one of them. http://distrowatch.com/ ...That's the spot I was thinking about recommending too. If there's a Linux distribution with more than a couple dozen people running it, it'll be listed there. ;)
Currently Linux has made a big sneak in the back door of the desktop computer community.
It's not just for geeks any more, with Lindows (now Linspire / Freespire) being one of the first outfits that made Linux use brain-dead simple. :p
Little kids can use it, Grandma is using it, as is her 70 year old boyfriend. :rolleyes:
High power gaming is still lagging, but just about every other segment of everyday computer use has a Linux application that will perform at least as good as (and sometimes better than) a windows application.
Microsoft really shot themselves in the foot with Vista; it is so bloated that the amount (and cost) of the basic hardware requirements needed to run it has gotten absurd.
The easier to run distributions of Linux are usually considered to be ubuntu & related versions.
Pop a LIVE CD into your drive tray and give it a try; nothing gets written to your hard drive & you can go back to windoze in the blink of an eye. All you need to watch out for is that your CD drive is set to boot before your hard drive, which most "newish" computers will do. If yours is not it's fairly painless to reset your boot sequence in your Bios, just watch the screen right as you power up & hit delete, escape, or whatever it says in the couple-few seconds before it starts booting off your hard drive.
The Live versions tend to run slower than they do if installed onto a hard drive but if you have all your hardware working it might be a good time to set up a dual-boot system & get stability & security back into computing.
You might wonder what took you so long to be running it. :D

sreeja
12-04-2007, 01:11 AM
Linux can link with a Macintosh on a Ethernet Cord.if connecting directly (computer to computer, no hub/switch) you'll need to use a crossover cable. Make sure adapters are configured to be on the same subnet on both systems.:) :)