PDA

View Full Version : Making a copy of a hard disk...

Lucky Luke
01-20-2007, 03:28 PM
I have an old computer that runs with Dos6.22 and Windows 3.11 .
I have two disks : C: that runs the system and D; , a reformatted Fat16 bootable hard-disk.
I just want to copy the entire content of C: on D: .
What is the command/switches combination to do this task?
I don't remember quite well...Xcopy or what?...

Lucky Luke

Windows 2000 Professional
01-20-2007, 03:31 PM
So you want to copy the hole drive, Or just some stuff you want? If it just stuff I would do transfer from one computer to another for files.

the gaffer
01-20-2007, 03:51 PM
I have an old computer that runs with Dos6.22 and Windows 3.11 .
I have two disks : C: that runs the system and D; , a reformatted Fat16 bootable hard-disk.
I just want to copy the entire content of C: on D: .
What is the command/switches combination to do this task?
I don't remember quite well...Xcopy or what?...

Lucky Luke

long time since i last touched windows 3.1,but if he doesnt sign in in the next day or so you could send a pm to locustfurnace he would know straight off for sure.

Windows 2000 SP4
01-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Yes Xcopy more info on link http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/hd/cpyhd/cpyhd2.htm

locustfurnace
01-22-2007, 02:05 PM
This website should help refresh your memory

http://www.computerhope.com/xcopyhlp.htm

I would just do,

xcopy C:\ D:\ /e /k

Lucky Luke
01-22-2007, 02:26 PM
This website should help refresh your memory

http://www.computerhope.com/xcopyhlp.htm

I would just do,

xcopy C:\ D:\ /e /k

Thanks Locustfurnace and the others, including the Gaffer.
Appreciated!

First the existing C: I want to have a copy for is a 2GB partition I have on my hard-disk.
This hard disk has 8 GB and is divided in four 2GB partition which are C: D: E: and F: .
The partition software is System Commander Deluxe version 4.031 .
The partition <C: > I want to copy holds DOS/Win3.11.
The target is a 1.7GB hard disk.
It has been Fdisk'd and have a single 1.7GB partition on it.
It is slightly smaller than the source partition but I only have 800MB of data/system so enough space.
The target 1.7GB has been formatted in Fat16 and has a single file which is Command.com
My target hard-disk is connected instead of the CDrom and the HD jumper setting is in the "Slave" mode.
Do I have to do something else before applying "your" Xcopy command?
Am I OK up to now?
Also will I have to "Xcopy" from the computer main boot or the System commander's "Boot on the A: drive" function during boot up?

Thanks

LL

Windows 2000 Professional
01-22-2007, 08:01 PM
no sweat.......

locustfurnace
01-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Do I have to do something else before applying "your" Xcopy command?
Am I OK up to now?

You should be able to run the command from either a hard drive or floppy. But it is always best to do it while booted from a floppy.

After you copy all the files, do not delete your current C: contents, ie. do not quickly reformat it, assuming everything went as planned.

Remove the current C: drive. Setup your system as you plan to do and run it, make sure everything copied OK. The biggest problems would be that when you went to copy a file, a file was unreadable. Which is why it would be advisable to run scandisk or equivalent, Such as Norton's Speedisk, if you have a copy of it.
But, if everything works. Then you can do whatever you planned.

Lucky Luke
01-24-2007, 02:52 PM
Locustfurnace

Good!
Thanks very much!

LL