PDA

View Full Version : lets have some input.

the gaffer
02-14-2007, 01:14 AM
how many of you new members out there actually join and then keep returning ? say hi,tell us all about grannies bad foot or rovers flea problem,the general section is getting boring,post after post with just a link to something perhaps unintersting to some people,i am not having a dig at those that post such links,it would just be nice to see more general chat and learn a little about people in general,so here you go lets get some GENERAL conversation going,say what you feel get stuff off your chest.

locustfurnace
02-14-2007, 12:34 PM
the general section is getting boring,post after post with just a link to something perhaps unintersting to some people,.

Funny you mention that, as I entered the General board, the first thing I thought was, this is more of a "BREAKING NEWS" section than anything.
I've felt that the General board should be generalized around the websites concept in part. Or atleast be relevant to computing.

If I really cared to read about news, I would be visiting and posting to a news board.

Occasionly, posting news would be OK, but since there is not even a summary and I am having to click a link, as you mention, to see what the fuss is about then decide I can care less.

so here you go lets get some GENERAL conversation going,

I do not feel there are enough regulars to create a good discussion board here. This is primarily why I frequent several boards.

the gaffer
02-14-2007, 04:35 PM
my sentiments exactly, its ok for us on fast internet connections but lots are videos that are just not an option for those on dial up and hence could become frustrating.looking back down the pages there are dozens of threads that just never got a response perhaps news is not so interesting as people think,partly the reason that got me asking how many of the older regulars still check out the site but perhaps do not sign in.there is always between 100 and 200 viewing the forums are they guests or regulars ? who knows.

locustfurnace
02-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Most of the 200 checking out the forum are Yahoo spiders crawling and indexing the website.

If you also check out the majority of the replies to any thread, it is usually the same handful of people. Which usually only happens on a website with low traffic, but this site is not one of those.

The site is more liken to a fast-food restaurant. 'Place your order, get it fast, complain if not what you wanted and leave in a hurry.'

I have not seen many of yester-years regulars here nowadays. Many left during the P2P spam fest. Many left for other reasons.
Those who did converse, usually where just people trying to change the site to something they believed it should be, but never did come back.

Maybe by placing requests on hold for a few days before fulfilling them, may cause some people to stop, look around and offer something more than a software 'wish-list.'

Windows 98SE
02-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Yes general is over used with these kitty links is borning.

The memebers join and dont come back hmmmm I counted 15 posters in last month.

Gotta take my tip do mass email 10,000 so for sure you can't send one simple email to all in one shot.

It's a fact most new computer/internet users join sites and they forget all about it after time.

Ohh by the way site did time out today was too many connections.

the gaffer
02-15-2007, 02:02 AM
yes locust that was a real downer,i too stopped visiting for a while during that time,if i remember rightly it was or seemed to be about the time that guest posting was disabled perhaps it was that reason that caused it,such a shame as there was quite a hard core of regulars who were here nearly all the time up until that time.

the gaffer
02-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Yes general is over used with these kitty links is borning.

The memebers join and dont come back hmmmm I counted 15 posters in last month.

Gotta take my tip do mass email 10,000 so for sure you can't send one simple email to all in one shot.

It's a fact most new computer/internet users join sites and they forget all about it after time.

Ohh by the way site did time out today was too many connections.

have you always been so contradictive ? general is over used with these links,so you havent been posting several of them and changing from one user name to another to do so. http://www.oldversion.com/talk/showthread.php?t=4194 http://www.oldversion.com/talk/showthread.php?t=4191 . what a joke.At times you border on trolling.

the gaffer
02-22-2007, 04:30 PM
Funny you mention that, as I entered the General board, the first thing I thought was, this is more of a "BREAKING NEWS" section than anything.

the other thought i had was the lack of interest in loads of the news type posts,there are actually dozens that never got a comment,this in itself points to it being uninteresting.

Goslow
02-23-2007, 02:44 AM
Oh! I never realised anyone cared,I had always thought of the General forum as O.V.coms landfill.
Believe me,if you must, some real treasures can be found in a landfill (rubbish site) I can guarantee anything your hearthead desired would turn up within two weeks.
The people that work at those sites deserve real credit for enduring the pain of burying societies treasures without revealing its secrets, I suspect in ancient times they would of had their heads cut off or at least their tongues.

All guarantees apply to landfills not general forums and are valid for thirty days or the moment before redemption which ever is the shortest.

Windows 98SE
02-23-2007, 07:09 AM
the gaffer has a word for everything jackup the the gaffer points there dude congrats

the gaffer
02-23-2007, 08:37 AM
the gaffer has a word for everything jackup the the gaffer points there dude congrats

so immature it makes you want to vomit,have you really nothing better to do with your time,crawl back under your stone troll baby.ive been around these forums for a long long time and trust me i will be here long after you have grown up and moved on.you wanna insult me boy thats fine but do it via pm,visitors to the forum do not want to read your pathetic digs and childish rants.

MrsM
03-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Many left during the P2P spam fest.

Hi, That was me. I never used lymewire or that other stuff. I got real disgusted with all of the same old posts- people- many, many people- wanting free music download stuff.
I usually check in 2x/month and poke around but I dont have the old email and dont know what my password was so I reregistered.
Thanks to the people who run this site cuz it is full of neat stuff.
I have a new XP computer but still run a W98-2 and prefer NS7.2 to any and all browsers. This (xp) computer is still running fast and fine WITHOUT SP2 :eek:
But I dont know alot about the software end of computers so I dont have alot to add. And unless you want The Adventures of Dogfarm, I dont have alot of news either!
Take Care!

the gaffer
03-08-2007, 02:41 PM
welcome back mrsm it is members such as yourself that i was refering to,i was pretty sure some were still out there and casting an eye now and again.

locustfurnace
04-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Seems as though there are only 4 or 5 regulars here. For such a site which so much traffic.

the gaffer
04-02-2007, 02:44 AM
the p2p spam fest, very true folks it did take its toll on the forum,i believe that was also partly to blame for guest posting to be stopped,which also cut down dramatically on the amount of activity here on the forums,such a shame as many/most guest posters were good folk wanting help that just didnt want to register.thats also fine considering many many internet users nowadays seem to have an aversion to registering on sites/forums,unlike oldversion many are very invasive when registering and can lead you to jump through loopholes etc to get registered.( for the benefit of visitors please note registration here is not invasive and doesnt make you jump through hoops NO spam mail no nothing just a simple registration and thats it.)a shame for the good guests but as with so many things in life there are always a few that abuse it and lose it.