PDA

View Full Version : Windows SP2 & Java compatibility

richmondred
06-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Greetings from Richmond VA and from a newbie so new to the site, I squeak!:D Hope all is going well and after posting my dilemma, perhaps my day will turn into something wonderful!

Here's my stats and situation y'all: (Yep, I'm from a redhead from the South, born and bred!;) :p

I have an older system compared to most (MICRON2000) and I'm running as my OS WINDOWS XP (HOME EDITION). I've got to tell y'all, this site saved my computer and my sanity!

Because of a recent java issue, I was able to come here, locate and download JAVA 2 RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT SE V.1.4.2 and its subsequent update, J2SE 5.0 UPDATE 5 as well. The download and installation of my JAVA UPDATE 6 and NOT being able to locate here or anywhere else WINDOW XP'S (HOME EDITION) SP2 I do believe is my true problem!:(

I'm a gaming fool and team member on Pogo. Anyone who plays knows java is an absolute necessity--no java, no play!

I just found after downloading and installing Java's UPDATE 6.0, it advises that it is NOT COMPATIBLE and basically will not work. If I'm correct, the fact I DO NOT have SP2 on my system is the culprit.

1. Do any of you know if this is truly the case? Without SP2, Java's 6.0 Update will not work? Is it something else? If so, what?

2. Is there something else that will work in its place?

3. Do any of you know, if SP2 is the culprit, where it can be found and downloaded to my system?

4. I've performed the "windows update" and it doesn't appear as an "update" to be downloaded.

5. I've performed a search, and manually checked all files and folders on the system--no luck in locating SP2. Not to mention, it does not show as anything installed on my system under "Add/Remove Programs" through the control panel.

Any and all suggestions would be most welcomed. I appreciate the time you're taking from your day/night, to help me resolve this issue. If I can ever be any help in any situation--just ask. Again, thank you all who read and relay their suggestions/advice to me.

Have a Good One!
RED

locustfurnace
06-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Check the system information under the control panel, it should state the version of Windows you have installed, and it should display the SP version if one is installed.

Quick shortcut way to this info is just pressing the keyboard combo of the WINDOWS key and the Pause/Break keys together.

For referrence, you can download older java releases from Sun here:
http://java.sun.com/products/archive/

You can download SP 2 here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

SP 2 update
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=17D997D2-5034-4BBB-B74D-AD8430A1F7C8&displaylang=en

the gaffer
06-02-2007, 04:46 PM
you should have xp service pack 2 automatically from you windows update,do you have your automatic updates turned off ? if so then you could just turn them on and it should install automatically,incidentally this is far quicker than taking the 266mb download as it states on the microsoft web page.

locustfurnace
06-02-2007, 06:34 PM
incidentally this is far quicker than taking the 266mb download as it states on the microsoft web page.

True, but if you download the 266megs redistribution package, you can save it easily. Thus keeping it on-hand for any unseen OS reinstalls. And makes it easy if you have several computers, download once, install on all systems.

the gaffer
06-02-2007, 07:25 PM
True, but if you download the 266megs redistribution package, you can save it easily. Thus keeping it on-hand for any unseen OS reinstalls. And makes it easy if you have several computers, download once, install on all systems.

very true locust,a point i tend not to think of due to my own backup strategy of creating my own restore discs at set intervals.also i tend to think of people being still on dial up and 266mb is one big file for such a connection,i look back a while and wonder now how i ever managed without my broadband connection.still it would appear the op must have windows updates turned off or it would of or should of installed as part of automatic updates.

richmondred
06-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Hey y'all,
Thank you so very much for replying so quickly to my post!:D I'll be checking on all you've said in just a few minutes..again, thank y'all so much. I'll keep you posted as to what happens and what I find.

Have a good one!:o

RED

the gaffer
06-05-2007, 04:00 PM
your welcome,hope you get it sorted ok.