PDA

View Full Version : Windows 98 SE - keyboard problems

vellen99
08-09-2007, 03:40 PM
I bought a keyboard that refuses to load. It has a USB port and when I called the company, I was told that I need to either buy an adapter or change my BIOS to allow the USB connection to work.

Any advice on how to do the second?

locustfurnace
08-09-2007, 09:15 PM
When loading the computer, you will need to press the keyboard key combo to access the BIOS. This can be any number of combinations or a single key, depending on your computer maker.
But it's usually the DEL key.
Then go through the options til you find where it gives you the option to load keyboard from USB.

Hopefully you still have an older PS/2 or DIN keyboard you can use to access the BIOS in the first place.

vellen99
08-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Yes, the reason I'm updating is that this keyboard is very sticky (cheap). I will try that, thank you very much!

Vicki

the gaffer
08-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Yes, the reason I'm updating is that this keyboard is very sticky (cheap). I will try that, thank you very much!

Vicki

strange the vellen,i would ask the supplier,most new keyboards come with the adapter included,they do in uk anyway,failing that they are a few pence on ebay etc

dee2too
08-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Changing you BIOS would depend largely on your BIOS and version. Sometimes they need to be flashed, some should detect automatically, some can be enabled, etc. I agree with the gaffer about the adapter, usually not supplied in the US, but a cheap fix.
My reasoning on this is that since the mouse is usually PS/2, I only deal with keyboards that are PS/2 as well, since the mouse and keyboard use similar, if not the same
*.vxd files for drivers. How the mouse evolved is that it used the commands for the direction arrows on the keyboard. Being an old guy, I find it is good advice to keep similar devices on similar ports.

locustfurnace
08-15-2007, 09:04 PM
Being an old guy, I find it is good advice to keep similar devices on similar ports.

My keyboard is still using the DIN connector thru a PS/2 adapter while my mouse is USB on the PC. I've only found 1 keyboard that feels like a keyboard and its been with me since '95. Though all my Apples now use USB exclusively for mouse/keyboard. No more ADB connectors, soon no more PS/2, already no more 5-pin DINs.

Constance
08-16-2007, 01:22 AM
soon no more PS/2 Noooo !! http://forum.judgehype.com/icones/smilies/bluecry.gif

dee2too
08-22-2007, 05:09 PM
OK.
Is it OK if I still use my formula, or is Hammerite going to get on my case? I'll sit over here and lick my wounds, and wonder what kind of idiot came up with the KISS (keep it simple stupi_) concept.
's OK, I'll get better.