PDA

View Full Version : Do you trust computer repair people??

The Dude
10-16-2007, 10:03 PM
You might not after seeing this (http://www.cbc.ca/mrl3/8752/marketplace/geeks.wmv)! (26 Mins)

Im not surprised by anything i saw on that vid!!

More Vids: http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace

the gaffer
10-17-2007, 12:52 AM
dude this is just more news,news is not general discussion if people want news then im sure they will not come to oldversion looking for it mate.

The Dude
10-22-2007, 01:13 AM
Your right,All they wanna do is extract as much $$$ as they can,they dont really wanna help anyone but themselves i dont think... (Most of them) http://www.oldversion.com/talk/images/icons/icon13.gif

the gaffer
10-22-2007, 06:35 AM
theres always a dishonest element in any situation,whether it be plumbers mechanics electricians builders etc etc,the only reason these people can and do operate is because people let them.i myself do all of my own repairs be they mechanical elctrical building etc etc so not an issue to me as my family has all trades amongst us so we can do this,but people in general fail to get a second opinion,call out repair men are the easiest to get ripped off by as they have no shop etc and often work from home or an undisclosed address.people should always use a repair facility that has a sound base ie a shop or chain of shops that way theres always a place to go back to with complaints etc and often if you contact local authorities they will recommend a local service that has good feedback and reputation in your area.at the end of the day they will only rip you off if you allow them to do so.

Zootopia3000
10-24-2007, 10:57 AM
I take issue with the report stating that both PC's (bad memory and corrupt OS files) were EASY fixes.

They did not say if there were two sticks of memory in the machine. If only one, then unless you spot the couple blown circuits (as they stated) on the memory stick, it would have taken some time to troubleshoot it down to the bad memory stick.

As for corrupt OS files, they did not state the OS and whether the OS was booting at all. I take issue here with reinstalling Windows. I do that as a last resort... In some scenarios, something could go wrong, like if the current OS was an upgrade from an earlier OS. Also, if you reinstall Windows, re-updates via Windows Update are then in order. If you were able to get into Windows and knew some OS system files were bad, for XP I would have run 'sfc /scannow', and if '98, I would have run System File Checker... A re-update check would then also be in order. Other methods could have been System Restore, DOS extraction and such.

What I'm getting at is, PC repair is not EASY. Even if the PC at hand was easy to fix, if your mind is fried from prior 'tougher' PC repair obligations of the day, the current easy PC repair at hand may not be so easy after all.

In ending, I agree with The Doctor's post, learn how to do it yourself. Otherwise, see The Gaffer's post if you decide to go with a PC repair tech.

randomgypsy
10-26-2007, 02:43 PM
you cant trust anyone these days

mcooper
01-16-2012, 08:52 PM
There really are those repair people who are up to no good and should you be picking the proper place to have your hardware repaired, you should not be worrying about this. It has been an age old problem, which stemmed from the time that computer began breaking down where they exchange some of new hardware with older ones they have which the owner would have no idea of. It is best to have the barcode listed so you could check on them later.

fanshionliu
07-07-2012, 02:22 AM
I think most of them are very pro,but it can't be said not good when someone is not good enough:)

fanshionzheng
07-10-2012, 02:58 AM
Although most is to trust,but there can't believe people you don't know when they hit.

fanshionemma
07-10-2012, 03:03 AM
You should be careful because you don't know what the things people met.