PDA

View Full Version : Which Zonealarm?

Chuck
03-08-2003, 02:59 PM
Hey all,

Before I install, which specific version of ZoneAlarm 2.6 do we have here. Is it a Pro version or Free version? And, what specific extension of the version?

Zone Labs site has older versions available directly from them on their Release History page going back to version 2.6, but not the very first release of 2.6. They also appear to be Pro versions, since "pro" is part of the file names. The following is what they show:

2.6.362 was released to the public on November 27, 2001. For changes in this version, click here. To download this version, click here.

2.6.357 was released to the public on October 10, 2001. For changes in this version, click here. To download this version, click here.

2.6.231 was released to the public on August 1, 2001. To download this version, click here.

2.6.088 was released to the public on May 2, 2001. There were no significant changes between this version and the previous version, 2.6.084.

2.6.084 was the first public release of the 2.6 branch. It was released beginning April 30, 2001. It contained major updates from the 2.4 branch, detailed in the "new features" section below.

As you can see, versions 2.6.362, 2.6.357, and 2.6.231 are available for download. However, versions 2.6.088 and 2.6.084 are not. So once again, does anyone know which specific version of 2.6 is available here on oldversion.com and if it's Pro or Free? Also, I'm wondering if anyone knows if the versions on Zone Labs site are untampered original releases, or have they added some advertizing gimmick to them? And, are they indeed the Pro versions?

Thanks,
Chuck

Dave
03-10-2003, 12:48 PM
I can actually answer this, as I grabbed 2.6 for a quick test. It's 2.6.088.

And, as a 'newer is not always better' aside, I work for a company that has a product that will not work with ZoneAlarm 3.x. Downloaded 2.6, and things worked like a charm.

Pete
03-11-2003, 10:59 AM
Educated Guess:

It is my understanding that the owners of Oldversion.com have decided NOT to engage in software piracy.

Unless they have changed the policy, or made an inadvertent mistake, any software you find here will be one of the "Free" versions.

Pieces of You
03-13-2003, 05:25 AM
Use the latest Zone Alarm Free v.3.x. I strongly suggest NOT running older versions when it comes to firewalls. Yes, oldversion.com is great and many of the programs other than security software I would suggest running older versions of. But with Zone Alarm you want to make sure you are running the newest version _always_. Older versions have been known to have exploits and have been proved to be a security risk. Keep up with the news of Zone Alarm releases and update when new versions come out. If you disagree with me, you lack the knowledge of network security and are willing to put your system's security at risk so you can run a previous version for your newbie reason of X,Y,Z.

The Muffin Man
04-15-2003, 02:59 PM
Well put "Pieces of You". Firewalls that are as easy as 1-2-3 and require no knowlage of the difference between a "port" and an "IP address" are weak. Little configuration means a weak firewall, at least for now. Maybe some day in the future, there will be a firewall that is both secure and easy, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. You got to read the tutorials and help files. Zone Labs didn't put so many pictures in their help file just to make it look nice, they are there to help.

Prehapse the only thing I don't like about ZoneAlarm Pro is that it comes packaged with Broaderbund. Never trusted them after that dssagent...

RonMoJohny
04-19-2003, 08:27 PM
I use the latest ZA Pro. I have no problems. In fact, the built-in pop-up stopper works great once you turn it on. Just visit one of the Cracking forums and request a SN for the Pro version

The Muffin Man
05-03-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by RonMoJohny@Apr 19 2003, 08:27 PM
I use the latest ZA Pro. I have no problems. In fact, the built-in pop-up stopper works great once you turn it on. Just visit one of the Cracking forums and request a SN for the Pro version
Ya know RonMoJohny, it is people like you that really piss me off. You STEAL software from companies, ruining it for everyone else like me, who now have to deal with that damn TCPA "frtiz" chip and DRM. Both of which invade your privacy and piss you off, stating that you don't have the right to view/use something even though you paid for it! Thanks a lot RonMoJohny.